Introducing 'Silent Fury', a D3 mod project

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Introducing 'Silent Fury', a D3 mod project

Post by Hunter »

Introducing a 5-mission Descent 3 campaign set in the 'Hyperspace' universe, originally established in the multiplayer trilogy in 2003 and later in the 'Basewars' openworld environment in 2006.
Back in 2009 I wanted to develop a single-player variation of Basewars with a storyline and customized missions. However the project ended up being abandoned and essentially it was dead.
Silent Fury was originally intended to be a 7-mission campaign with a basic storyline and FreeSpace-style missions - This version has 5 missions only.
It wasn't until the summer of 2016 that I decided to pick the project up again and reboot it with a fresh injection of ideas and content.
I wasn't too happy with the original project, so I decided to trash the original missions and start again while still keeping most of the assets.

It's taken me nearly a year to complete all 5 missions and the associated mods/scripting.
Overall it's about 3 months worth of work spread over the course of a year, not including any of the time spent on assets previously.

Silent Fury will feature the following:

* 5 difficult missions with some storyline and action to enjoy
* A new playership, with rechargable shields and energy
* Additional onboard gadgets to help you along (such as boosters and drones)
* Revised and balanced weapons from Basewars (though not all 20 will be available)
* Wingmates to fly alongside, including a 'Shaman' support ship that will boost your health.
* Some new textures and effects in addition to the original Basewars packs.
* New sounds and ambiences to add to the atmosphere
* A full range of new custom objects and enemies
* 1 bonus secret mission to discover

And much more! Currently I have no music, so Dan Wentz agreed to let me use the redux soundtracks in this project.
In addition the campaign will be fully voiced acted once all parts have been filled.
If you are interested in helping out, drop me a PM. I'm especially in need of a woman!

Playtime is about on average 120~140 minutes. Here are some screenshots.
Don't forget this is the original Descent 3 engine circa 1999, so there are some limitations :)

LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Introducing 'Silent Fury', a D3 mod project

Post by LightWolf »

I can't wait! :D
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Holy crap!
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

I still need to find more voice actors for parts - anyone is welcome. PM me if interested :)

I already have some names on file, so if you've contacted me before you don't need to again.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I can't quite help with voice acting at the moment sadly :(
I can test though :)
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Hunter wrote:I still need to find more voice actors for parts - anyone is welcome. PM me if interested :)

I already have some names on file, so if you've contacted me before you don't need to again.
I can help with that, got some acting background! Just PM me the lines and details.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

I'll need to hear your voice first :)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Hunter wrote:I'll need to hear your voice first :)
Grab it while it's fresh :D

Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Pm sent :)

All other parts are filled for now!
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Just noticed this is in the wrong section - can someone pop this in Level Spotlight please? Cheers.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

A small update: Work on the project was finished a few weeks ago, I'm just waiting on a few of the voice actors to finish their lines and then put the campaign through some additional checks - It looks like I'll be releasing it toward the end of this month.

Here is a very brief clip:

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Hope dude hurries it up, can't wait to see how I did :lol:
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Well, the project has been released! Check out the release thread over at PlanetDescent: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php/ ... 514.0.html

You can download the campaign here: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/fil ... ntFury.exe

Be sure to consult the setup and readme carefully before playing :)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Does the *.exe mean no linux support?
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

The exe is just an installer, but I'm not sure if the level would work on Linux since it relies on some of the corrections made with the 32-bit patch (and it won't run smoothly on an old setup).
Still, you could try: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/fil ... ntFury.zip
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

A fatal bug was found in the initial release which caused Silent Fury to crash on some systems (usually after loading the first level). This SHOULD be fixed now, simply download the installer again or place this hotfix in your Descent 3 folder: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/fil ... D3-dir.zip
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

I finally got a chance to play this mod. Amazing work! I completely forgot I was playing D3. Totally amazed away by the production quality. The last time I played a space shooter was X-Wing vs Tie Fighter in the late 90s, so this was pretty mind-blowing. There were parts in stage 4 where I said some of the following out-loud: "holy ★■◆●!" "what the ★■◆●?" "no way!"

Unfortunately I wasn't able to complete stage 5. I don't know if it's a bug or what, but I spent an entire evening trying to get through and no matter what I did I couldn't get past the shipyard scene. I even tried four times on "trainee" and the result was the same. Not being able to save makes it unlikely I will try again, though I can't say for sure a save point would have helped. It's not clear what I need to do when the station starts taking damage.

Great job. I hope more people discover Silent Fury. :)
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Glad you liked it! To complete the final mission follow this: ( You need to shoot down the bombers coming out of the carrier. I think you get about 5 minutes to do it, after which the station takes too much damage and explodes. You may need to collect some extra weapons for this part, from the caches underneath the station (but one good gun will suffice since the bombers will drop secondaries as they die )

Hope that helps :)
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Hunter wrote:Hope that helps :)
Ah, thanks for the tip. All I had going into the level was a EMP Blaster and 7 Hunters. It's not enough. I was able to complete the campaign with the extra ordinance.

There were a few sync issues, but I feel like this has some solid re-playability. If anything, it's turned me onto a different game genre. Should I assume Freespace was similar? I never played Freespace because, as much as people like to claim otherwise, it's not part of the Descent universe (only in name).

Now if only I had something other than an eight year old business-class laptop to play D3 on...
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

FreeSpace doesn't have 6DOF movement like Descent, but the style of gameplay is quite similar. Silent Fury is just a mod for a game that wasn't really designed for it, so it pales in comparison - and naturally they are quite different in many ways.

On the HUD there should be a message that says 'OPEN CONTAINER DETECTED' in each mission. This basically is telling you there is a container somewhere on the grid that can be looted. From those you can get more weapons. Btw, there is also a secret mission in Silent Fury - just a small one which I threw together over one weekend.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Hunter wrote:This basically is telling you there is a container somewhere on the grid that can be looted.
I understood this, but honestly, I was barely able to keep up with the game. Especially in stage 5, Delta Wing flies too fast. I got left behind a couple times, and have to bi/tri-chord in hyperspace just to stay with the team. It's probably because my computer is not strong enough to play the game, which would explain some of the sync issues. The textures are all broken and I can barely see the ships let alone hunt for containers. Even in such a crippled state it was super fun to play. I actually ran through the whole campaign again today. Maybe I'll try to find that secret mission next weekend.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Don't forget to use the recommended command lines and 32-bit patch for best graphical quality. Aren't you able to get D3 running on a newer system?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Hunter wrote:Don't forget to use the recommended command lines and 32-bit patch for best graphical quality. Aren't you able to get D3 running on a newer system?
I've got the patch installed. Unfortunately, this 8 year old Dell laptop is the newest and most powerful system I own! I'm not much of a gamer. I hope to buy a new laptop next year, but I'm in no rush. I don't have the same computing needs as the average person.
sethj
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sethj »

Jeff250 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:40 am Does the *.exe mean no linux support?
How did you even get D3 to run on Linux in the first place? I can't seem to get it working :/
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

sethj wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:38 pm
Jeff250 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:40 am Does the *.exe mean no linux support?
How did you even get D3 to run on Linux in the first place? I can't seem to get it working :/
I too would like to know this secret.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

There's a thing out there called WINE that recreates the windows libraries for other OS's.
#AllLivesMatter
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

LightWolf wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm There's a thing out there called WINE that recreates the windows libraries for other OS's.
Is that how you personally run D3 on Linux? I've seen what appears to be a native port but was never able to get it running.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I don't personally run D3 on Linux, since I don't use Linux. However, I do know about the WINE project - it seems to work pretty well.
#AllLivesMatter
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

So, you've never run D3 in WINE and you are recommending it? Just want to make sure that's what you are saying. I've never gotten D3 to work under WINE in Linux. If you have, I'd love to know how.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

All I know is that WINE exists, not how well it works. I just wanted to throw the option out there.
#AllLivesMatter
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

There was an official Linux port for D3, but I'm not sure how you can get it these days. I did hear that the company that developed it is now defunct.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

I'm (finally) doing a play through of the campaign on Youtube. Here are the first two missions:
And these are recorded on Linux :P