It's done!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

It's done!

Post by Darth Wang »

My newest level, the best level I've ever made! It's downright AMAZING, so that's it's name!

It has corridors, cubes, doors, textures, lava, energy centers, powerups, secrets, a red door and red key, a thief, custom weapon and behavior settings on the robots, a reactor, and an exit tunnel!

https://nofile.io/f/KGRuWWxdUPu/amaze.zip

There are some bugs though like the red door only locks from the inside, there's a wall I couldn't get rid off, and some of the robots are unbalanced. But this is just the first version.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: It's done!

Post by LightWolf »

It's... better...

Look at how Parallax did some of their stuff. Attempt to create something similar to some of the simpler "Parallaxine" structures. The room just after the start in D2L3 should be relatively easy to recreate. Just don't post something too similar to the original or you won't get too much positive feedback.

Even better, do this (and other editor experiments) offline. Then attempt something original using this style of geometry and post it.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm. Needs more # before the name :)

You're using more tools than before; if you're interested in progressing further, the next step would probably be on the creative side. Lots of tunnels with a few geometric tweaks can only get so interesting; great levels are usually developed from ideas, which cubes are merely used to realize.
Obviously, Descent being a somewhat limited engine, that also limits the ideas that can be built... they will probably be relatively simple. But there is still stuff you can do.
A good way to start with that might be to look through the Parallax-built levels in D1 and D2 - but as you do so, try to figure out how they did what they did. If a room looks particularly interesting - what does the cube structure for that look like? How would you build something like that for your own levels? Might even be a worthwhile exercise to attempt to copy it. I recall doing that myself once, for one level I found interesting - I didn't release the results thankfully (the community takes a dim view of outright plagiarism), but it did teach me a new way to think about building levels.

(P.S. I started writing this before LW's post, but it doesn't surprise me that the feedback is along the same lines... all of us went through this stage.)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

You're like early LightWolf - attitude and all - but taken up to eleven, lol. I was going to suggest that you might be his alt, but looks like you've actually registered earlier :D

And yeah, LightWolf does listen to feedback and does improve very quickly. You on the other hand have a long way ahead of you... :P
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

it is unplayable for me
you made some bots shoot ridiculous things in ridiculous ways so they crash the game
so yes, some robots are indeed unbalanced like the spawn that breaks the object limit at the start of the level and I died to the thief's flares
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yep, the newest version of Rebirth crashes when you reach a certain cube. The level's still godawful tho
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

TRUEpiiiicness wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 am it is unplayable for me
you made some bots shoot ridiculous things in ridiculous ways so they crash the game
so yes, some robots are indeed unbalanced like the spawn that breaks the object limit at the start of the level and I died to the thief's flares
Don't worry, soon I will post an update to fix all of these problems!
Sum0Beatz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sum0Beatz »

ahaha that little green bastard that shoots 100 missiles is hilarious