New D2 CTF level

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

New D2 CTF level

Post by Diedel »

Actually I don't know whether building D2 levels makes any sense nowadays, but wtf ... I just felt like it. :D

So you can find a new D2 CTF level named "With Flying Colors" on my Descent site.

It's pretty architectural and rather on the large side to allow for some wild chases w/o an opponent scoring to soon, but ways aren't still too long (me thinks). There are a lot of routes to the flag rooms to allow for some surprises, but only two choke points, so defense should be feasible.

If anybody should feel inspired by it to make a D3 version of it, feel free to do so (hint, hint!); just drop me a note when it's done so I can appreciate your effort. :)

Chose multi player from my Descent site's side menu to check out some images.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Don't worry about it, building D3 levels nowdays doesn't make much sense either. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

There are still some people building and regularly playing D3 today ...
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Really? How nice. I am too you know, but that still doesn't mean all the new levels actually get much of any playtime.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The guys from the German descentforum play a level they don't yet know every sunday night.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Descent 2 still has its uses. For one, it's incredibly easy to make a great, fun single-player map that's just as enjoyable as the big Descent 3 map that takes four times as long to make. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Kyo,

Only four times longer? :roll:

Check my new level out and tell me what you think (feel free to be honest - I have a spare nuke ready for you :wink: ).
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Send a nuke this way too, I think D3Edit has again succeeded in draining all my enthusiam ;)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Diedel wrote:Kyo,

Four might be pushing it. I built Reactor Gamma in two weeks, the same amount of time it took to build Europa Glacier.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

I think it has as much to do with willpower aswell as time-needed.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Kyouryuu wrote:
Diedel wrote:Kyo,

Four might be pushing it. I built Reactor Gamma in two weeks, the same amount of time it took to build Europa Glacier.
Whoa! 2 weeks for an awesome level!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Just to let you know Diedel, I did get your level uploaded to the DFiles server and made a news post about it on PD. Now, all that needs to happen is for the Gamespy folks to actually get PD up and running again :P.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I think Chain of Grass took me a couple of months from start to finish... similar-sized Descent 2 levels would take me a week tops. I've done 150-200 cube anarchy levels in four or five hours before...

Obviously that excludes testing and subsequent modifications, which I usually made to the ... decent Descent 1/2 levels I made. Descent 3 was ironically much harder to test levels for. Especially that OG3 track.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I'm still debating if I should do a 100-level mission pack for D2. (now obviously the levels wouldn't be as large as the largest levels in the original D2 missions, but they would be a bunch of small to medium-sized levels so I could finish a couple a week.)