New level -Pentellax

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

New level -Pentellax

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Hello, just finished a new level entitled Pentellax. The level features a modified fusion cannon, different color, with a D2 weapon sound (all other aspects of the fusion remain the same). I just submitted it to Planet Descent and GameEdit. I'll also send it to Koolbears site if I can ever log on to it. I would think it should be availble for download at these sites shortly. If I knew how I'd post screenshots. Give it a try, won't you.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I'll do it!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Find an on-line image hosting service... there are a few out there, and it saves you needing to have your own webspace, or a friend with some whom you can bug every time you finish a level, to do it.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: New level -Pentellax

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

pipsqueak10 wrote:Give it a try, won't you.
The level?
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

The level is Pentellax.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

pipsqueak10 wrote:The level is Pentellax.
I know that
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

YES the level, Give the LEVEL a try!:)
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

It has been posted at PD for your downloading pleasure! :) (Note that the link will take you directly to the level)
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Woah! I saw a giant Phoenix in this level!
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

:O! I'm playin it!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...heh! Some neat effects in there, especially with reference to those glass strips in the second shot...
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Ok, I'm gonna post a review I did of this level for NuB here.

A bit large for anything under a 3v3 or 8 person anarchy, but still, incredibly well made. The author (pipsqueak) knew what he was doing when he made this beauty. The architecture isn't overwhelming, though the five sides give the level an interesting feel. There are some objects to duck behind in order to avoid fusion shots, but there isn't anything overwhelming. I get very good framerate in here, even in a dogfight.

The eyecandy gets a 4/5 here. There's not much of it, but what there is is very well made. A hangar bay with a giant pyro and phoenix in it? Where do I sign? Again, the level is low-poly enough to avoid a horrendous framerate, but you can definitely tell the author put some work into it. The lighting is spectacular, giving a nice touch to an already-great level.

The modded fusion cannon is a nice touch. The sound effect sounds like it's straight out of pyromania, and the shots themselves, while not quite so imposing as two huge purple fusion blobbies, look very nice. This seems to be only a graphics update to the fusion; it seems to work normally otherwise.

The weapon balance is good here. Fusion doesn't seem quite as dominant due to the size of the level; you'll want to use mass weapons whenever possible. When heading into a dogfight, both players usually have at least one napalm rocket, keeping things nice n warm while the players maul each other. There's a MD or two floating around the level, but no ammo, so MD hogs won't always be able to use MD. There's tunnels for the ratters (though large enough that 1 fusion shot won't blow everything in them to shreds), there's a large dogfight room for the mass weapon hogs (though it's marred by a dual floor, an absurd invention that, IMO, harms gameplay).

Overall, I'm giving this an 8/10. Why so low? That dual floor in the main room. I hate dual floors. Nothing is more annoying than playing ring-around-the-rosie with someone who's low on shields and is hiding just on the other side of that floor. Other than that, this level is AWESOME! Give it a try, I can almost guarantee you'll love it.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Stryker, Thank you very much for your review. Now maybe someone else might give Pentellax a try.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i like it a lot.
more stealth hunting and aiming going on... rather refreshing considering the levels that most often get played.
good work pip.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Pip,

Are you saying that you can't login to my uploader? If so let's see about fixing that because with the AutoUpload feature you don't need to wait for your level to be available!

KB
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Sup KoolBear,

I was finally able to log on but I don't believe that the file was uploaded.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Yo KoolBear, still can't seem to get a hold of the level on your site. Maybe I did something stupid when I tried to upload it.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

It is there. Here's teh link ...
http://www.koolbear.com/Descent/levels/d3/pentellax.zip

730.2KB zip 08/21/2004 10:16 PM < date/time uploaded

:P