Gameedit.com down?

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Gameedit.com down?

Post by DigiJo »

is gameedit.com down? shows "under construction" or "404" now since a few days.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Starkiller wrote:Actually, GameEdit may be gone. As we're only partial webmasters, and schplurg has not been in contact lately, it's quite likely this will be the end of the site. It seems our domain name registration has expired, and I don't know if it's going to be renewed. I don't think schplurg is even aware of this problem, and as we can't use his @gameedit email....

For whatever it counts, we're out of webspace too. They don't offer any larger server packages where we get ours either.
It seems our domain name registration has expired
I know it has. It ended on August 23 at 0001 hours. I saw it coming, but didn't stop it.

As Starkiller said: it's the end of the site. Myself, he, nor Schplurg at this point are willing to keep the site going. That it took 4 days for someone to mention it being down shows just how little people do visit it these days.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

:( I loved gameedit.com... the level review system was great for seeing what's wrong with your levels.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Stryker wrote::( I loved gameedit.com... the level review system was great for seeing what's wrong with your levels.
Well PD has the comment system, so people can still get comments (the ones that I've seen left so far aren't even close the the comment field size, BTW).

But it is sad to see GameEdit go down. Some great tutorials there :(.

(EDIT)Is it possible to get those tutorials transferred somewhere? I'm willing to post them on PD.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Yes, those tutorials are way too valuable to be lost. I and many other developers learned editing on those tutorials.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I'll put them onto my tut site if you want... it would be no problem...

http://www.planetdescent.com/d3edit
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

another high quality d3 resource gone... :cry:
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

"That it took 4 days for someone to mention it being down shows just how little people do visit it these days"

The reason that so few people visit the site is because you were very inactive in posting anything on it. When Schplurg left the site plummetted downhill fast. Of course thats not your fault. I imagine it takes a lot to maintain a site. I for one still checked the site often. IMO, it was one of the finest Descent sites around. Truly a sad day for the community. Just as sad as when Tricord.net disappeared years ago. (I'm glad I made hard copies of every tutorial on the site_
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

definately a great site indeed. dam :cry:
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I really missed Gameedit.

It has good tutorials.

and good utilities.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think "The Level" tutorial was one of the first Descent-related sites I added to my favorites menu. GameEdit was a great resource for the Descent community, for noobs and pros alike. It's sad when any long-standing site in this community goes down; we need all the help we can get :(. I hope someone does preserve the tutorials that were hosted on the site; these great resources deserve to be saved. I'll make sure to make a news post in memoriam on PD.
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

I too have a large amount of webspace, and am willing to help host. I can be contacted at admin@forum.greavesnet.com by who ever can facilitate this. It would be a shame to have this information lost.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

/me salutes as I take gameedit off my favorites list.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Thunderbird: I've seen you on several times since I fired away a private message, but you haven't read it yet. I'm about to hit the delete key on the .zip linked in it.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

The notification email must have hit my spambox. Didn't realize I HAD a new PM (that section should really be made to stand out more, it's only a subtle change if you've got new PMs).
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I have approvals to post some of the tut's and I will be adding them to my site.

It's a shame to see a site like that go away!

KB
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Why doesn't someone just register the domain name and point it back where it was pointing?

What's the ip address of the gameedit web server?
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

We're using the expiration of the domain name as an excuse to let the site die in its entirety. Reregister and you'll have it pointing at nothing. Don't worry about the contents of the site; GameEdit is known for its tutorials, and I gave all of them to Thunderbird yesterday (along with an unreleased alpha ver. of D3Edit by Atan that has features no other ver. does). The levels aren't important, as PD has most of them all (and the ones it doesn't have, I'll send).
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

If KoolBear has permission to post some of the tutorials, I think it might be good for him to do so, while I post the ones he doesn't. After all, he doesn't have to add ads to every page on his site, unlike PD :P.
Pink Panther
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pink Panther »

Dang, sorry to GameEdit go down. My two little levels probably wouldn't have been made without it. Thank you!

*salutes*
Shoku
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sorry it's gone

Post by Shoku »

Never would have made my levels if it hadn't been for GameEdit. Learned a bunch from all those tutorials. And the team that kept it going was always ready to help. Great job guys. Sad to see it go.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

SSC-Thunderbird wrote:If KoolBear has permission to post some of the tutorials, I think it might be good for him to do so, while I post the ones he doesn't. After all, he doesn't have to add ads to every page on his site, unlike PD :P.
Still, post them all on PD. It would be a shame to split them up since most of them follow each other in a natural progresion. And one-stop shoping is always my favorite anyhow. ;)
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I sent the GE tutorials to Thunderbird weeks ago. Why aren't they on PD yet?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Someone buy that domain before a cybersquatter snaps it up. Knowing them they'll ask ten grand for it.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

My PD email account is balls, he's probably tried to get in touch with me but I haven't recieved anything. I'll see what I can do...

I'm trying my best to get those tutorials back up. My site is something them fell into the depths of the back of my head for a while, due to life and its stains ;) But I'm free to work on it now.

Luckily I did a little backup of some D3Edit tools, so its not just the tuts that are saved ;)

I'll post on my progress.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sky, TBird/Do_Checkor are working on that right now. They should be up within a week.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Because I'm not sure when I'll get all these edited and posted to PD, I've uploaded the unedited pages to my own website for now, so people can use them.

http://thunderbird8.no-ip.info/GameEdit

Please note that the connection is only a 16KB/s upstream connect, so don't expect it to be fast :P.
yfmain
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by yfmain »

Hi,Thunderbird, there are still a few links in Beginner.htm not valid, Could you have a look if there is anything wrong with it.

Thanks,
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

SSC-Thunderbird wrote:Because I'm not sure when I'll get all these edited and posted to PD, I've uploaded the unedited pages to my own website for now, so people can use them.

http://thunderbird8.no-ip.info/GameEdit

Please note that the connection is only a 16KB/s upstream connect, so don't expect it to be fast :P.
So...unless my eyes missed them, I still don't see them on PlanetDescent.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No, they're still not there. I could try prodding TB with a stick, if you like. :P
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Top Gun wrote:No, they're still not there. I could try prodding TB with a stick, if you like. :P
I'd rather you beat the stuffing out of him with a baseball bat. :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hehe. :P I'll keep trying to bug him on AIM, and maybe eventually he'll get around to it. As an alternative, I could implement an egomaniacal grab for power, take over the site, and post them myself. :P
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Top Gun wrote:I could implement an egomaniacal grab for power, take over the site, and post them myself.
Do it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think you misunderstood me. That third condition could only be true if the first two are. :P The only one who has access to actually updating static site content is TB. I'll try to get in touch with him about it this week, though.

In the meantime, and just out of curiosity, about how big are all of the tutorials put together, and do they require any sort of scripting? I've got about 20 megs or so of unused web space provided by my ISP sitting around, so I might be able to host a few of them. My knowledge of hosting is very limited, though, so if it involves anything more complicated than uploading a few image/HTML files, I can't really help you.

(I wish the webspace was more; then I would definitely be able to get them all hosted. Comcast upgrades their almost completely useless webmail client to 100 MB, but their web hosting, which is actually useful, stays at 25. The worst part is, with up to 7 user accounts, you can get a total of 125 megs, but I can't have access to any more than 25 with a single account. If they allowed it to be shared among all of the users, I'd have a heckuva lot more web space.)
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

I offered to host GameEdit at Sectorgame. Plenty of space and resources. Didn't get any replies though. :?:
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Already done.

Well I got tired of waiting for anyone to do anything once again, so I already rebuilt them all on www.moreclng.com
Ani
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Ani »