Chaos Question.

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Should Chaos level 1 be.....

Outside, in a crater like a "real" volcano with rocky tunnels?
46%
Like the original D1 set with square halls blah blah blah
15%
Inside but with moderate modification?
38%

Total votes: 13
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Chaos Question.

Post by Duper »

Ok, It would seem that I'll be porting the Chaos levels.

I can go with theme or original. The poll is for the Theme slant.

Please give me feedback. I would really like to know what everyone thinks.
BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BlueFlames »

I'd go for an outdoor element, but make sure that the crater is small enough that it doesn't slow down the pace of the fighting when someone flees outside. Think of the outdoor area more as a large dogfight room and less of an 'outside'.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That was my thought. Making the crater roughly the same size as the chamber; using the invisible "roof" instead of a cahmber ceiling.

Level 2 will be like a Cauldra. still mulling that one over. The real problem is trying to keep doorways small i.e. trying not to remove too many terrain cells.

Verticle walls have long stretched cells. I have some ideas. If anyone knows of a good solution, chime in.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

you could always fake the terrain... that's what i would probably do. i'm not totally sure what you're asking... i think having the first level outdoors would be kind of cool. an indoor volcano seems kind of strange. but if you made it outdoors then you would be missing the exit tunnel. i think it would be interesting if you added reactors to each of the levels. chaos wouldn't be the same without them. those few seconds after the reactor blew were always the most intense. people would end up fighting till the very last second and then try an make it out. good times, i miss that.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I agree. That is definately something that D3 lacks. There is a script for that out there somewhere, it seems that Birdseye posted it geez .. years ago.

Given the relative size and stuff.. it looks like the reactors are going to have to be made in a modeling program and ported in as the units in the D3 editor are too large to make a decent replica.

"Faking" terrain is a difficult task and making it blend in too. they never want to line-up correctly.
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

yes new reactors would need to be modeled. it is possible to model one in d3edit and then convert it to an object using oof edit. don't worry about units, you can scale the model if you need to. i can model one if you want. the pyro in my avatar was built in d3edit... :P
Duper wrote:"Faking" terrain is a difficult task and making it blend in too. they never want to line-up correctly.
i meant faking the entire terrain. like was done in that one level... cartoon canyon? i think it's spelt with a k :/ cause yeah, patching the terrain wouldn't look so good.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

This would be great. These levels are probably my favorite of all time, especially 1 and 2. I voted for keeping it like D1 though. If you are porting, yeah, keep it the same. If you are going to make similar levels, out doors sounds like a nice upgrade. Maybe also make some small room tunnels in the side of the mountains outside just like the spawn points in the original. I always loved killing someone and then flying around the volcano as fast as I could to try to catch them coming out of one of the rooms before they picked up one of the 20 or so megas that were eventually in the level.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Those were my thoughts as well... if you do it well enough, you can create a terrain out of polygons that looks reasonably realistic and can do a little more than a simple heightmap.

Edit - although you do have lighting to worry about still.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Build the terrain? oi vea..

I have the terrain started but not finished. A family issue came up and brougth everything to a screetching hault. I'll start up again this weekend. I took a few screenshots if anyone would like to host them. I ain't got no web space. ;)

would like some feed back. The problem with standard terrain is that to keep the level to reasonable scale, there just isn't that many terrain cells to work with. The volcano itself is only 9 pixels wide at the top....about 4 cells.

*added*

If someone could extract the D1 reactor model, that would be cool. I've just spent about 2 hours trying with very little sucess. :\ ...ok none. heh

Slowguy, your help on the model is welcome. :)
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

how's this?
it's a bit more rounded than the original. i still need to scale the model, and convert it to oof format. textureing still needs some work. but it's almost done. :wink:

edit: i use ripway to host images. it's free, but there is a limit on your daily bandwith usage, i think it's 5 megs.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That's perfect. A bit more rounded is fine. The texturing looks fine. I have no idea what the the unit to unit scale is. I would imagine that it would vary from program to program; but I'm sure you have a handle on that.

Ripway huh? ... I'll check it out. THX!

#edit!#
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, apart from not being able to see much apart from the sky...
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Hey, what ever happened to this level set? Did it die? I'm itching to play it. 8)
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

me too! :wink:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

my apologies for the ciesta .. about the same time we moved some heavy family stuff came down. I think I can get back at it.

:)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Any betas available yet?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

no..not yet. I'll do my best to finish level one this week.
I attended a court hearing today that capped the issue at hand. .. dang.. this is going to cut into my Halo time. :(

;)

and Cudos to Slow guy who has worked VERY hard on an awesome reactor and a D3 version of a D1 door as well as a kickass secret door!!! You rock dude. 8)
Slowguy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Slowguy »

hey np, it was just something to keep me busy :P