New version of DLE-XP available

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

New version of DLE-XP available

Post by Diedel »

I don't know if anybody still cares, but there's a new version of DLE-XP available.

First, I've fixed a few syntax errors which popped up after switching to MSVC++ .NET.

Second, I've added a new feature allowing to assign a basic brightness value to each texture so that a level designer is not tied to DLE-XPs/Descents predefined light textures any more. For that purpose, I've added a slider to the texture tool allowing to change a texture's brightness from 0 to 100 percent. I've called this feature "lightmap". Lightmaps are stored in hog files per level, i.e. each level can have its own lightmap. The lightmap will affect light calculation in DLE-XP and will not interfere with Descent 1/2, hence a level's lighting will have to be recalculated when a texture's brightness is changed (DLE-XP will not do that automatically). Lightmap files have the extension ".lgt".
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Way to keep Descent alive. Constant updates. Thanks.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

If there was a link, I might be able to download it! :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Check his profile, it's all there.

Good to see the work goes on...
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I think Devil had a feature like that for D1/D2, but it involved editing some kind of "lights" text file. It's nice to see DMB2 finally doing something similar. I always wondered why it never treated lava in D1 as a light source ;)
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

Nice work man.

And some friends and I are diggin your version of D2x at school. :) (it has some rendering glitches but other than that fun as hell)
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Sweet! I didn't know this program got updated anymore!
I might acually start making levels for D2 now if I find the time. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If there are proposals of interesting new features which are not overly hard to implement, I might even add them to DLE-XP. It's still fun to fiddle with the program ... ;)

As for the link: I have one in my signature, but the sig does not get displayed here. :( See the links section (in the side menu) of http://www.brockart.de/descent.

Kyo,

I also wondered about Lava not emitting light in D1 levels made with DMB2, but I couldn't figure where DMB2 (the predecessor of DLE-XP) had its light values from, and Brian Aamot couldn't help me in that matter either. Some light textures in DMB2/DLE-XP aren't as bright as they should be imho, too (e.g. the reactor textures). Now there is the most flexible solution available.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sounds great! :D I'll get some news posted on PD tonight.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Fine. :) Just one thing: DMB2 was developed by Bryan Aamot who sold it to Interplay - not by Parallax. ;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Whoops; I'll fix that. :P
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Cant you put a light texture under the lava to make it brighter I remember that putting light textures under regular textures make them slightly brighter.

Also you could put each corner light at least 100%.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Diedel wrote:Fine. :) Just one thing: DMB2 was developed by Bryan Aamot who sold it to Interplay - not by Parallax. ;)
"Brainware" wasn't it? They'er still in operation.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Theftbot wrote:Cant you put a light texture under the lava to make it brighter I remember that putting light textures under regular textures make them slightly brighter.
You can, but this would make it easier.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Duper,

yes, Brainware still exists, and Bryan even has a link to DLE-XP there.

Sirius, Theftbot,

there is a texture named "empty - light" in both D1 and D2. It is very bright, and you can use it as 2ndary texture on textures not emitting light themselves you want to shine a light. Ofc, DLE-XP's new lightmap feature is superior to that solution because you

a) can chose any brightness value you like
b) you don't need to use a 2ndary texture (esp. if you want to use another 2ndary texture at that spot)

The problem with manually editing corner lighting is that it will only affect that corners and not light up nearby, but not directly adjacent sides. Changing a textures brightness will however affect such sides when executing DLE-XP's light calculation function. You will ofc probably reach the most satisfying results by editing every corner light, but this is an extremely tedious process. I remember a very renowned D2 level designer complimenting me on my levels' lighting years ago - which was all done by careful placement of light textures and DMB2's light calculation. So you can achieve very pleasing results with the automatic lighting function and good placement of lights (which will make the lighting look more credible as well).
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Isn't empty-light the texture that's automatically put on fly-through triggers? I remember there being an "empty" texture for this purpose.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No, that's another texture. It will simply not be displayed by Descent.