Best D1x

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
catch22
DBB LAN Nut
DBB LAN Nut

Best D1x

Post by catch22 »

A friend of mine called me up the other day to inform me he just rediscovered Kali. Like the good friend that he is, he convinced me to start playing again.

So I'd like some input on the best means of running D1 (I guess D2 as well) in Windows XP.

Couple preconditions.
- I still use a 3Dpro, but I'm not thinking it will be much of a problem.

- No fancy OpenGL. I like my pixelated crap.

- Sound

- Can't be D1x 1.43. Net play is horribly inconsistant, if it even works at all.
Catch-22

<FONT> Frankly, I think the whole society is nuts...The question is: What does a sane person do in an insane society? -Joseph Heller</FONT>
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I guess that depends on which version of 1.43 you have. There are something like 2 or 3 versions floating around.
catch22
DBB LAN Nut
DBB LAN Nut

Post by catch22 »

Fair enough.

Not to sound redundant, but which version of 1.43 would you recommend? (I guess a better question would be, \"Where do I get the correct version?\")
Catch-22

<FONT> Frankly, I think the whole society is nuts...The question is: What does a sane person do in an insane society? -Joseph Heller</FONT>
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well. There are 2 that I have. And it's more of which runs best on your machine. for some reason, one will work well on one machine but the other will not and visa/versa.

I use d1x143_oglmw.exe

The other that I have is d1x143mw.exe

I seem to have another version of d1x143_oglmw.exe
and it's about 40 kb smaller. ... no idea why.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

You can set the opengl version to still run pixelated, too. Just FYI...
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

i'm using d1x-rebirth. still has the old feel of d1x 1.43 but can run on my xp box.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Ferno wrote:i'm using d1x-rebirth. still has the old feel of d1x 1.43 but can run on my xp box.
x2

I've yet to encounter a STABLE build of 1.43. 1.42 rivals Windows 95 in terms of bugs. :lol: (Ok, maybe not THAT bad, but its pretty nasty.)

d1x-rebirth is the only stable build I've encountered. Now that it has the joystick fix (see DXX forum), I'm definitely using that.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I have issues with my stick that i can't resolve right now with rebirth, but once things are ironed out a bit more, I'm sure I'll jump on that wagon. ;) I'll still test each new version that's out though.

the only thing I can't do with 1.43 is look at the auto map as I lose my stick when I do.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

There is of course always Descent 1.4/5 with VDMSound, except the netplay is even worse.

Then there are D1x 1.40 and below, except they won't even start under Windows XP.

So ... apart from the new one people are mentioning, there are no other viable options as far as I know of.

Going to have to check that Rebirth one out though... see if it's any good and so on.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Duper wrote:I have issues with my stick that i can't resolve right now with rebirth, but once things are ironed out a bit more, I'm sure I'll jump on that wagon. ;) I'll still test each new version that's out though.
Did you try 0.42?
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can play D1 levels with D2X-XL too, but it will use the D2 bot AI, so it's not for purists. On the other side, it contains support for the rendered Descent 1 intro, end and mine exit videos from the PSX version, plus audio briefings for the robots deuxsonic has provided. ;)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

not impressed with any versions of D1x. Took almost 2 years just to get partial joystick support and networking... and stayed that way...

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

MD-2389 wrote:
Duper wrote:I have issues with my stick that i can't resolve right now with rebirth, but once things are ironed out a bit more, I'm sure I'll jump on that wagon. ;) I'll still test each new version that's out though.
Did you try 0.42?
Yup. Same problem. I use any of the controls config menu or res menus and I loose the Axis' on my stick.