Getting new soundtracks and .sng files to work with XP.

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Getting new soundtracks and .sng files to work with XP.

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Well ever since switching from a Win98 interface and into a Windows XP interface, I can no longer have 4+ midi soundtracks in my Descent 2 mission campaigns. For example, the level 5 midi for Project Mandrill or all the new midis for levels 5-24 in Lost Levels or the 4 midis for levels 5-8 in Encounter at Far Point, I can no longer hear those. It simply loops back to level 1's music for level 5, level 2's music for level 6, etc. Even though those mission sets have multiple (more than 4) level songs. Furthermore, I tried changing the descent.sng file to be able to accomodate the increased midi line-up, but it completely ignores it and keeps playing the first four. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to fix it?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

What version of D2 are you running? If it's bog-standard descent2.exe, I'd be surprised if there was any difference in .sng handling from 98 to XP. If it's a blend of D2x, well, then there's a bug and something can be done about it...
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

d2-xl I'm using as a matter of factly. So yeah, the sng file that I used for Lost Levels (which supports up to a 24 track soundtrack for a mission) don't work at the moment and its just the first 4 that are played.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Wrong forum area.

I will still look into this though. ;)

Edit: The songs played for this mission should simply be the D1:FS songs, right?

This works for me. I wonder how old your D2X-XL version is. Version no.?
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Mostly, but every four levels will be boss music from FF7 and near the end in the last 6 levels or so, it deviates from using D1:FS midis.

Your latest version, 1.6.60 or whatever version I listed in that real-time lightmap issue bug topic I made.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Anyway, for me it plays the midis from lostlvl.hog.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

All 24?

on a totally unrelated sidenote: descent 1 ending sequences doable in Descent 2- XL? Neato! Does this work for Descent 2 levels?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D2X-XL first looks in lostlvl.hog for the midi files - for all of them. ;)

Wouldn't \"feasible\" be preferrable over \"doable\"? Imo it sounds much better. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Or 'possible', but ... yeah, I've seen that word around a bit; not sure how correct it is. Anyway.

The entire soundtrack is working on my installation (1.6.15). Not sure what it is.