Music in D2

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Imperium
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Music in D2

Post by Imperium »

One of the great many great things about Descent was its killer sounds track. Each level had its own unique music. I've gotten my hands on D2 recently and so far I only see like 5 tracks that are rotated through. That's pretty disappointing. Am I missing something? Is the Redbook audio a more complete soundtrack along the lines of Descent? I can't get that to work. Are there really only 5 mediocre tracks for D2?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

In terms of MIDI tracks, yes. There are only the four level themes and the handful of other themes (title, briefing screen, etc).
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I like the MIDI tracks! It's just that it seems that if I try anything to get D2 running on a Win computer (D2X, win95 patch) the tracks don't sound right.... Too metallic or something.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I agree with you; the D2 MIDIs don't sound nearly as cool on a modern sound card. It's kind of funny, though, since I personally think that the D1 MIDI tracks sound much better as heard on my SB Live! than in any of the re-recordings I've heard using older hardware. :P
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Could you get the \"old sound\" of the MIDI tracks by playing them on a old computer, and just pouring the output into another computer and save it as some format that the D2X's can read?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Uh... I doubt it. What you could probably do, though, is get an emulator of the sound card in question and write the output to disk.

Edit: DOSBox can apparently do this.