Wikipedia

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
David_Oosha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Wikipedia

Post by David_Oosha »

Mod (computer gaming) - Wikipedia
Gold Dragon wrote: By contrast, Descent did not allow for modifications, which explained its shorter-lived popularity compared to Doom and Quake.
Is there any possibility of someone who actually knows something about notable Descent mods fixing this? All I could do would be delete the sentence, since basically all I know is that a Descent editing scene exists.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

is the reference to D1, D2 or D3?

D3 has had many mods. Is the reference to creating an new game from the engine or some form of modified play within the said games? D3 has had many mods within D3 itself, but no other games made on the fusion engine that I know of.

Also, just blow the sentence away as it's a subjective statement. There are many factors as to why quake/doom were more popular than Descent. One being they are easier to play and descent actually gave some people motion sickness.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Descent as a whole, from the context/comparing with Doom and Quake. I pulled the sentence for you - agreed, it isn't accurate, highly speculative, and it also feels tacked on - \"by contrast\" doesn't actually seem to be contrasting to anything.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I think that the person who edited that page has either zero experience with descent or is a quake fan.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the article as a whole doesn't need to exist, but its wikipedia, what can you do?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

fliptw wrote:the article as a whole doesn't need to exist, but its wikipedia, what can you do?
rewrite it with information and not gush.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The article does have a purpose, but probably shouldn't be that long... it seems to have been written too much by the \"isn't this cool\" brigade, and without enough focus and attention to relevance.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

Ferno wrote:I think that the person who edited that page has either zero experience with descent or is a quake fan.
I agree, its probably somebody who thinks its cool to beat on a game with fewer people playing it, and there would be no easy way to rebutt it without starting an intra-game falmefest I"m afraid.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Could be a disillusioned Descent player as well, to be honest.