Floppy Damaged - Lost DESCENT5.SOW

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
RSO
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Floppy Damaged - Lost DESCENT5.SOW

Post by RSO »

I was digging through my collection of old games recently and thought, \"Wow, I'd really like to play Descent again.\"

Unfortunately, my fifth floppy is physically damaged and the last 20% of DESCENT5.SOW is completely unreadable; my floppy drive makes funny noises when it tries to copy it.

Is there any way that I can recover it? Failing that, would any of you offer a replacement for the file?

If the contents are copyrighted, as is the impression I get from reading these forums, is there a way that I can get in contact with the copyright holder for a replacement?

Thanks in advance.
-RSO
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

if the disk is shot, that's pretty much it. Those old flppies are fragile. You might want to try spin rite but at that cost, it would be cheaper to go on amazon and buy a copy.

I found it under a couple of abandonware sites.
RSO
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by RSO »

I'm not going to buy a new copy if I can avoid it. Not for lack of appreciation of the game, but because I don't believe in paying twice for things that I already own.

I have already purchased the registered game. The terms of this purchase were that I bought the \"right as End-User to install and use the copyrighted software on a single home machine.\" The media on which the copyrighted software comes are provided at cost, and is the responsibility of the copyright holder to replace them at cost should the data become lost.

Translated from lawyerspeak:
I paid for the data on those floppies, and that if one of the floppies gets damaged, I am entitled to a replacement of the data on that floppy, at the cost of whatever the data is being sent by. If I ask for a replacement floppy, I have to pay the price of a floppy (~25¢).

As one whose livelihood depends on the legal sale of computer software, seeing the sort of devotion to intellectual property rights that there is on this forum, in the fanbase of anything, is incredibly heartening. With that said, can anyone here direct me to the present owner of the copyright?

The original holder, Interplay Entertainment, officially allowed the trademark claims to the Descent series to lapse in 2002. Parallax Software, the developers, split into Outrage Entertainment and Volition Inc.

Outrage Entertainment created Descent³, but has since become defunct.

Volition Inc. still exists as a wholly owned subsidiary of THQ, and on their website, posts the following,
If you're inquiring about support for an Interplay product, your best bet is fan forums.
Meaning that they are no longer selling their game, and no longer supporting their copyright. So I'm following their advice, and looking for a replacement (for data which I have already purchased) on a fan forum.

I'm able to find the Shareware on Abandonware sites, but the full version, containing Plasma and Fusion cannons, Smartbombs, Megamissilies, and levels above seven, is nowhere to be found at all.

Once again, if anyone is willing to share DESCENT5.SOW, or any other working installation, I would be very grateful. My e-mail is RSOG412@gmail.com.

Thanks once again,
-RSO
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

*you've got mail*
RSO
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by RSO »

Thanks to both of the people that sent me files.

I'm really sorry about how harsh I came off last night. I was talking to you folks like I talk to tech-support, and that wasn't called for. You aren't paid to solve my problems.

Thanks for your help, again.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

np *shrug* It's the holidays and things can get tense. :)

Enjoy.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

And as far as this is concerned, Descent was released for free by Interplay years ago. (Released on a PC Gamer CD)