Old Skool Descent Moments

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Old Skool Descent Moments

Post by Red_5 »

Ahh, the memories.

I still jump when getting suddenly attacked in SP or MP, especially by the Class 1 Drillers.

I remember leaping from my chair after being eaten by the level 7 boss for the 18th time back when I first started playing.

I'd always inch around corners, and then totally flip out and run whenever getting attacked by a Diamondclaw.

Staying up until 5am playing Descent on some old Win98 machines for a birthday party. Ah, the Total Chaos level set was my favorite!

I love Descent...
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

yeah I love Descent alot too once it was released in store I bought it because all the other FPS games like Doom, Operation Bodycount, Skynet were cool though I wanted something entirely different and Descent was my primary choice and I ran it back then on a 486 DLC 33Mhz @ 320 x 200 mode but I had lots of fun and 2 years later I bought myself a Pentium 120 Mhz system 16MB of ram Trident 64 2MB VGA card and a Soundwave Pro 20 voices sound card reall Descent flew on that setup and I still enjy playing it today as the first day I bought it them 14 years ago, as DXX-Rebirth really made Descent even more fun , as it doesn't look to modern though it still gives me the good ole feeling of 3000mph Underground :D

Even when stressed or depressed I play Descent 1 & 2 vis the DXX-Rebirth OpenGL render , these game really put my mind into possitive things by blasting my way through hundreds of infected Mining robots, and yes Descent heals.
MadJoca
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MadJoca »

One of the best moments in descent was a game versus Tankie, 20-18 for me in Minerva, never forget when i shot my laser level 4 in the central room, and tankie, unfortunately for her, appeared in front of my lasers, and my victory by 20-18 was sealed. my god, tankie always was a difficult Opponent
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I was a kid back then. I didn't know what it meant to SLIDE back then, only turned around. Had a bad keyboard config. The moment when I finally defeated that as*hole boss from level 7 was like a revelation for me.

Used to be so damn afraid of the thing I entered the red door and sat in that corridor and just listened to his perpetual robot sound. Then I left the tunnel hesitatingly just to be obliterated on Trainee by a Smart Missile.

The first few times that I finished this level, I did it in such a weird manner that I died during the countdown and lost all my stuff. Nevertheless I was so happy. So proud of myself..
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Back when descent 2 was a new game....
Fighting for the controls with my brother... the ship crashing and scraping against the wall as the two pilots punch each other and wrestle for the controls. Good times...
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

My very first multiplayer game, on a 9600-baud modem with a friend down the street, who lured me into a long hallway and launched a Mega. All I remember is pushing the 'reverse' key as hard as I could, and the seeming eternity it took before it reached me and I blew up. :P
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I've had some hilarious moments playing on Megerva with friends on D1X Rebirth; it's a rendition of Minerva, but full of megas. There are something like 20 mega missiles in that entire level, and it makes for great fun.

We'd do hit and run, chase each other around, and all around just laugh and fly like maniacs.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Those \"Backing away as fast as possible from the megas\" moments are always fun :) especially in D3 when you see the teeth and all.

In fact that's what my friend and I call mega missiles. \"Teeth.\"
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Recently, I played a great game with Nuclear Tomato \"Maters\" and THC in D1 level \"Grace\".

It was the most fun game I've had played in a very long time. Probably the best game in Grace ever. Maters was always a fun pilot to fly with in the mines.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Meh, the D3 Megas aren't tough if you see them coming. Even magnums can shake them with no problem
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Ashes
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ashes »

Stroodles wrote:Meh, the D3 Megas aren't tough if you see them coming. Even magnums can shake them with no problem
I found d3 megas to be terrible...

Man, waaaay back in the day, I was playing with a friend (We must have been in the fourth grade) in d1 secret level 1. Hardest level I had ever played. We opened a save file in front of the red room, and went in... The second we reached the reactor portion, a fusion hulk blasted us from above, killing our ship, and both of us jumped from our seats....

It was then that we decided that the secret level wasn't a good idea.
Dadas
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

In d1 secret lvl 1 is bug

Post by Dadas »

In d1 secret lvl 1 is bug. do you know after blue doors when you pick up yellow key there are 3 fusion hulks. there is 1 secret room with extra life , mega smart ... and i dont know what else. from there you can see red room and a very small part of reactor.you can destroy him with lasers. i was doing it like this :) and you can see from there fusion hulks
my version isn't working with dxx so i can't play here on vista :(
i m downloading original D1 cd file... i want to play it :)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Good thing that Interplay reacquired the licences for Descent... I hope they'll start selling it again with a source port of their own (or without it, who the hell cares) and make Descent 4! Oh yeah, that would rule.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

When D1 first came out, around the time I got a new computer, I would play for an hour almost every night, in the dark, with the summer air coming through my bedroom windows. Really added to the atmosphere. I'm still using the keyboard from that computer...
skunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by skunk »

Memories.....

Wow there are so many of them. I got kali and started playing descent back in 1997. The first time I played anarchy was Descent: First Strike, level 7. The first person I killed was a pilot named \"Mike\" by the spawn point in the light orange ship.

Many of my fondest game memories are fighting tooth and nail against other skilled pilots for glory on the IDL (Invitational Descent Ladder).

I remember though when I was 12, before I even got kali, and used to play modem games with a personal friend of mine in a level called \"Duality.\" we would play for hours on end and he would tunnel rat me to death. lol.

I remember playing with my old clan members of |TE|-The Empire, (*MK*)- Midnight Knights, and the Wildcards Empire and the various tournaments that they held. I remember meeting some of the best friends I've had on kali like DarkHorse, Sirius, Kanage (dang NZ'ers lol), Kirian, Satan, Sin, Thrasher317, ICEMAN (later Rx_Druglord), his brother Chase, and Rage. ESP, Mark392, Vlider, Clone7, RUL, Sartak, Bean007, and Cappo. (if I left anyone out I'm sorry I'm trying not to make this too long lol)

I remember always getting killed when I was a kid by King'CUDA and Duperman lol.

I remember all of the levels of Total Chaos and the hours on end I would play them. I remember Minerva,and it's also heavily played counterpart Tribute, that was greatly played when descent was in it's prime. I remember always going into the tunnel in minerva and having it literally FULL of Homing Missles and Smart Missiles. ahhh yes those were the days.

Ahhh, yeah I should stop so this post doesn't get too long...but stories...yes, I have stories......

*raises his glass* To Descent, To Friendships, To Memories *cheers*

-skunk
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

skunk wrote:Memories.....

Wow there are so many of them. I got kali and started playing descent back in 1997. The first time I played anarchy was Descent: First Strike, level 7. The first person I killed was a pilot named "Mike" by the spawn point in the light orange ship.

Many of my fondest game memories are fighting tooth and nail against other skilled pilots for glory on the IDL (Invitational Descent Ladder).

I remember though when I was 12, before I even got kali, and used to play modem games with a personal friend of mine in a level called "Duality." we would play for hours on end and he would tunnel rat me to death. lol.

I remember playing with my old clan members of |TE|-The Empire, (*MK*)- Midnight Knights, and the Wildcards Empire and the various tournaments that they held. I remember meeting some of the best friends I've had on kali like DarkHorse, Sirius, Kanage (dang NZ'ers lol), Kirian, Satan, Sin, Thrasher317, ICEMAN (later Rx_Druglord), his brother Chase, and Rage. ESP, Mark392, Vlider, Clone7, RUL, Sartak, Bean007, and Cappo. (if I left anyone out I'm sorry I'm trying not to make this too long lol)

I remember always getting killed when I was a kid by King'CUDA and Duperman lol.

I remember all of the levels of Total Chaos and the hours on end I would play them. I remember Minerva,and it's also heavily played counterpart Tribute, that was greatly played when descent was in it's prime. I remember always going into the tunnel in minerva and having it literally FULL of Homing Missles and Smart Missiles. ahhh yes those were the days.

Ahhh, yeah I should stop so this post doesn't get too long...but stories...yes, I have stories......

*raises his glass* To Descent, To Friendships, To Memories *cheers*

-skunk
*raises glass* Makes me wish I had showed up then instead of now.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
TobyCat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TobyCat »

I'm not on that list Skunk? :P

<3
Back to the litter box
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

yeah I remember having a few good games with you skunk n tobyscat.
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

ahh

Post by Jediluke »

OMG, I was obsessed with Descent. Life 'outside' didn't matter as much.
The competition was extremely fierce!
I remember when I was a total newbie...I started playing D1 AFTER D2 was already out. I was a late comer.
There were over 200 people on Case's D1 Ladder and I remember firmly believing I would never be in the top 50. Damn smart missiles were so hard to avoid!
I eventually cracked the top 50 ;)

Then the days of the IDL came for me. It was a new class of competition. It was also suprisingly a bit of a soap-opera in that forum. Either way I was riveted by the drama and the talent of the players on IDL.

Entirely too many great matches to list. I got my arse handed to me on more than one occasion...including by toby and skunk.

I think the closest flip fopping win/loss comeptitor I ever played though would have to be Tobycat...it seemed like almost all our games were decided by 2 points and more often than not they games were past the 20 mark.

Ahh...good times.

--Jediluke
skunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by skunk »

Ferno! yes many great memories brother.

OMG I just re-read my message and I can't believe I left u out tobes! lol! <3 ebebebebebebebeb! You too Jeds! I remember you handing my arse on many more occasions than I did it to you. Hell playing you as many times as I did was one of the reasons I was able to obtain the skill level that I got to.... Warlord and Satan too.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: ahh

Post by Behemoth »

Jediluke wrote:OMG, I was obsessed with Descent. Life 'outside' didn't matter as much.
The competition was extremely fierce!
I remember when I was a total newbie...I started playing D1 AFTER D2 was already out. I was a late comer.
There were over 200 people on Case's D1 Ladder and I remember firmly believing I would never be in the top 50. Damn smart missiles were so hard to avoid!
I eventually cracked the top 50 ;)

Then the days of the IDL came for me. It was a new class of competition. It was also suprisingly a bit of a soap-opera in that forum. Either way I was riveted by the drama and the talent of the players on IDL.

Entirely too many great matches to list. I got my arse handed to me on more than one occasion...including by toby and skunk.

I think the closest flip fopping win/loss comeptitor I ever played though would have to be Tobycat...it seemed like almost all our games were decided by 2 points and more often than not they games were past the 20 mark.

Ahh...good times.

--Jediluke
dude, wheres my car?