Descent Anniversary Edition, new Parallax-made levels

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Descent Anniversary Edition, new Parallax-made levels

Post by Xfing »

Has anyone played/has the new levels supposedly added to Descent in the Anniversary Edition? I'm anxious to play them!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

There were any? I remember a \"Levels of the World\" collection that shipped with D1 Anniversary Edition (I used to have it too) but they were fan-made. And unfortunately almost all rubbish, but in the early days that was to be expected.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

There were supposedly some levels made by Parallax themselves included in that edition. That's what the sources say.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think there was only one, and it was level 15 of Destination: Saturn, the D1 OEM.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

I don't have a copy of the Anniversary Edition, but I did do a little research on this topic. If you have a look at the Descent Anniversary Edition page on Amazon.com and click the See Larger Image link, you will notice that it mentions that there are 20 additional levels above and beyond the original 30 and the 100 Levels of the World levels. These 20 levels are included in my copy of the Descent I & II: The Definitive Collection on the D1 disk in a separate folder, so if you have that collection, then you already have the extra 20 levels.

There was a contest for inclusion of levels on the Anniversary Edition as evidenced by this page (use the Wayback Machine to see it):

http://www.interplay.com/descent/desclvl2.html

If you have a look at this page, it mentions the fact that \"most of the levels entered in the contest are not on the CD due to the short deadline we had to test them,\" and it looks like some of the contest winners are not even on the CD. So Parallax made contest entry levels available on this page.

The easiest way to get all of the Anniversary Edition contest entries is to get Pooterman's D1 level archive, unzip the contents, and do a text search for \"Anniversary.\" That will enumerate the contest entries. Get Pooterman's archive here (It's a 35 MB download):

http://www.pooterman.com/pooterman.com/ ... ch2001.zip
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Nah, I don't have the Definitive Collection, so those levels are beyond my reach. Are the levels you provided the link to these levels, or just unofficial contest entries?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

g0g

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

The Pooterman archive contains a variety of 3rd-party levels from a number of sources, and it includes all but one of the twenty additional Anniversary Edition levels (as contest entries).

Combat Deluxe
Corridor Nine 1.1
Demon Bridge
Outpost Death
Duality
Earth Strike
Firebase Omega
Humility ver1.2
Lunar Surface Outpost
Mad Decorator!
Magnum Outpost Four
The Newest Threat
The Observatory 1.3
Retribution Base (Anniversary Ed. has Ver. 1.0 and 1.1, but Pooterman has only 1.1)
Serenity
Sea of Tranquility
Super Station
Terminus

So only Retribution Base Version 1.0 is missing.

The information above shows that Parallax did not develop any of the twenty (nineteen really) additional levels on the Anniversary Edition. It's also interesting to note that Luke Schneider submitted some of his early Descent levels to the Anniversary Edition contest. The Anniversary Edition contest winners listed on the Interplay page above are also in the Pooterman archive as contest entries.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

One of those levels has a very long exit. I forgot the name and came with Levels of the World. Any one remember?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by vision »

akula65 wrote:...Luke Schneider submitted some of his early Descent levels to the Anniversary Edition contest.
It was these three:

Demon Bridge
Outpost Death
Super Station

...and none of them won any merit at all in the contest! I couldn't believe it. Those are some to best levels in that whole 150 piece package.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I wish I was there at that time to make some levels, I would have inputted some rad levels into that contest. Not sure if I would have won anything though.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The cool thing is that we can load them all into our Descent Directories now!! :)
(no 100 level limit)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Huh, I never realized that those levels were any sort of contest-winners; I thought they were just some extras that Parallax cooked up and threw in there. I feel like I played through several of them many moons ago.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I actually remember that contest. I started playing around with the original DEVIL editor, and had a level nearly ready to submit for it.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Xfing wrote:Nah, I don't have the Definitive Collection
Once again "GOG" Definitive Collection you could have bought it already (no soundtracks those are seperate)

"This is a compilation of the games Descent, Descent: Levels of the World, Descent II, Descent II: Vertigo Series, and Descent Mission Builder II. It came on three discs, with a small reference manual covering all the games and add-ons. The Levels of the World was a contest held by Interplay, with the winners being chosen for the add-on pack. The Vertigo Series was a new mission for Descent II. Mission Builder II was the level maker for both Descent and Descent II."
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Wait, soundtracks?

Do they have the D1/2 midis recorded on Awe 32?
Someone sent me the D1 midis recorded as mp3 on Awe32 but it was missing one (endlevel), and several of the songs had some strange bugs.