Has anyone gotten D1x 1.30 or even 1.40 to work in XP?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Has anyone gotten D1x 1.30 or even 1.40 to work in XP?

Post by kurupt »

I got D1x 1.43 working in windows minus a few joystick features, but it would not work with kali on XP. i got 1.30 to work on kali once but not with a playable ping. it was pinging everyone at a million ms or more.

that was a long time ago and i can't remember how i did it. has anyone had any success?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'll have to check and see if I can still get 1.43 working in XP, had it before, but that was two formats ago and pre SP2.
Warmaster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Warmaster »

Kurupt, I got d1x 1.43 open gl to work with kali in XP. I doubt 1.30 will work because I think that version uses DOS or some kind of dos emulation. I used kali 2.614 the newest one everything went okay.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

when i play it in windows it works fine, but when i try to launch it with kali it just hangs at the little dos box that loads up before the game launches. you know what i'm sayin?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Ok, I got it to work in XP (single player), heres what I did.

First its in compatibility mode for windows 98
Second here is my d1x.ini:
-pps 6
-shortpackets
-noredundancy
-playermessages
-maxfps 51
-fps
-cockpit 2
-msgcolorlevel 3
-1024x768
-automap1024x768
-gl_mipmap
-notitles
Third I configured my joystick (sidewinder precision pro) in the game.
Then when I went to play, naturally the hat doesnt work at all, and the stick itself barely functions either. But, that is where the -1024x768 windowed mode comes in, once you are in the game I switch to fullscreen mode and the joystick magically starts working perfectly. (Yeah I know, wtf? o_O)

Oh yeah, the reason I have the FPS capped at 51, my refresh rate is 100 Hz, so 51 vsynced means that D1 is always putting out exactly 50 FPS.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hrm .. mystick is still jerking around abit. Kinda like joypolled isn't working. I gather it isn't, but it is there.

I use a Cyborg 3D Gold usb.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

My stick is very jerkey in this. It moves so long as at least one axis is being moved....if I hold all the way in one direction and just hold it there, it wont move except for little jumps. Its a cyborg evo, but I tried it with my nyko airflo just to see what would happen and it did the same thing.

Is anyone ever gonna update d1x?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Also, when I try to set the axis, i can get it to only read "Y2". This happens to be the throttle control "wheel".
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Make sure the wheel is centered. Also, it may be a very sensitive wheel.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ah... I get precisely the same issue Vader... with a Precision 2 this time. Don't know quite what's wrong, since I also have D2x which is largely using the same code and it works perfectly there.

Might try Krom's approach eventually.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ive tried pretty much every ini paramater there is with absolutely no luck getting the stick to un-suckify.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I have the same issue as Vader and Sirius. I tried to figure it out a couple years ago but couldn't. I use a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.
Warmaster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Warmaster »

For everyone having problems running Descent 1 under windows xp try downloading this http://bely19.home.comcast.net/files/Descent.rar . This is the d1x version I use with windows xp professional. To make all your joystick features work make sure it is installed under control panel.
JohnnnY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JohnnnY »

Your right Krom, the 1024x768 makes the twist/hat work fine.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

war, what am I supposed to have installed under control panel? I'm running that 1.42 exe and my joystick is not working AT ALL in it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Kurupt, to answer your original question, I have not got 1.30 or any of the 1.40's to work. It either flat doesn't work or the sound crashes and I get a horrible squelching noice much like a very evil modem dial-tone when any sound file is accessed.
Neitzl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neitzl »

Warmaster wrote:For everyone having problems running Descent 1 under windows xp try downloading this http://bely19.home.comcast.net/files/Descent.rar . This is the d1x version I use with windows xp professional. To make all your joystick features work make sure it is installed under control panel.
Groovy!
But one thing...when I go remap the keyboard keys, all the jstick functions are lost. I can remap most everything, tho the hat gets inverted, but my bank/twist does not work, it gets into the perpetual twist action. HE'P ME!

Neitzl
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Holy crap....youre alive.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Neitzl wrote:tho the hat gets inverted, but my bank/twist does not work, it gets into the perpetual twist action.
What stik do you have? Ot sounds like the game is grabbing the signal from the throttle control. Are you using Warmaster's version?
Neitzl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neitzl »

Duper wrote:
Neitzl wrote:tho the hat gets inverted, but my bank/twist does not work, it gets into the perpetual twist action.
What stik do you have? Ot sounds like the game is grabbing the signal from the throttle control. Are you using Warmaster's version?
Duper, yes I am using Warmaster's version. I forgot what all the ini files and stuff did/do, so I need me some he'p! What's my next move?
Gracias!
Neitzl

ps Yes I am still alive...crazy, no? There are even a few shots (sorta) of me in the ChicagoLAN picture thread over in multiplayer.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Neitzl,

Grab THIS. It's the 1.43 patch. Inside there are 2 different exe's and contrary to what the REAME file says, the d1x143_oglmw.exe works great for me and is very stable. Use the same ini file you are using now. and Do these things.

Under compatiblity mode on the shortcut

1) enable 95 or 98/Me mode.

*Edit* (ah.. you are quite right Krom. This was stuff left over from my initial trouble shooting when I was having all sorts of problems. Thanks)

Under Options Tab

1)run in Window, not full screen for now.
2)disable "QuickEdit mode"

Again, what stick are you using?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

There is no need to disable visual styles or advanced text services duper. Just set it to 98/ME mode and you are set.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

My d1x works on my xp.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Dark Falcon wrote:My d1x works on my xp.
cool! Neitzl is have stick trouble tho.

Hey Krom, didn't you run across a fix by going full screen then reducing it or something?

I wonder if we could get a sticky for D1x/D2x help. There have been some cool stuff but finding it again is getting tough with the growth of this forum.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

All I do is start D1x in windowed mode, then when I actually get to playing I switch to fullscreeen, and it works.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Krom wrote:Then when I went to play, naturally the hat doesnt work at all, and the stick itself barely functions either. But, that is where the -1024x768 windowed mode comes in, once you are in the game I switch to fullscreen mode and the joystick magically starts working perfectly. (Yeah I know, wtf? o_O)

...oh... duh... :roll:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hm... I just started trying this stuff and it all works fine up until when I try to switch to fullscreen; then there is no longer anything displayed. When I switch out of fullscreen (blind, but I can tell it's working), well, still nothing is displayed. It's like fullscreen causes the screen to go blank or something.

Which is weird, because it works fine on D2x and D1x 1.43 without OpenGL.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

When you switch to fullscreen, hit escape twice... ;) The screen doesnt refresh till after you get out of all the menus. Thats why you want to do it once you are ingame.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

If you're running 1024x768, hit the minus key once and you get widescreen. your FOV increases by just a little bit. :)

oh... and what Krom said.....
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Krom wrote:Then when I went to play, naturally the hat doesnt work at all, and the stick itself barely functions either. But, that is where the -1024x768 windowed mode comes in, once you are in the game I switch to fullscreen mode and the joystick magically starts working perfectly. (Yeah I know, wtf? o_O)
Krom you're a genius! It worked! But I also needed to add the command line switch -joypolled or my framerate would go to crap every time I tried to turn with my joystick.

Also I didn't have to set it to windows 98 compatibility mode. It just ran on its own.

Edit: This is the first time I've had D1 working properly in years. Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ah... yes, that does it. I found that as Suncho said, 98 compatibility isn't required for me at least - in fact it seems to stop it working.

And I also got the hideously slow fps when turning. However, -joypolled didn't have any effect.

I have no idea why moving the joystick handle would take so much CPU power, but D1x seems to choke whenever the input changes.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Krom, suncho, what stick do you guys use? And does it use gameport or USB?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

USB - SideWinder Precision Pro
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

USB - Sidewinder Force Feedback 2
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

well I cant get kroms trick to work...its still jerkey even after I switch to full screen. And 1.42's joystick support doesnt even work apparently...I'll try it after a fresh reboot tho.
Neitzl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neitzl »

Never mind...edited previous post...
I GOT IT WORKING! W()()!!
Ok, now...where the games at!

THanks guys for the help. What a country!
I <3 it!

Neitzl
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I got a reply from Saitek. I posted it in the Tech Forum. Go check it out.

Neitzl wrote:Ok, now...where the games at!
Kali dude! There has been an unexplained increase in numbers there. Cya there!

Way to go Neitzl! 8)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Well I got it going in a very ghetto mannar (configuration software, x and y axis emulate the mouse, and the twist and allll the buttons are mapped to keys) So um...yeah...I'll play I guess. I will suck HARDCORE, but I will play.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

lol...

Yeah, it's weird - I got Descent 1.5 working just fine - sound, joystick, even the twist - bascially everything - but D1x 1.43, no...

D1x 1.40 and earlier don't even run, of course, because their video code is completely incompatible with WinXP... but perhaps if I get DosBox they might...
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Alas, I thought I had it working but I didn't change anything and now it's doing the horrible framerate on turning again. =/