Minerva!

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Minerva!

Post by Vlider »

Heh, i bet i just stirred up a ton of old memories from many of you. share some stories.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

DIE MOTHER F***ER!!!! I F***ING HATE MINERVA!!! :P

and stuff.

I think for the last year of my carer I refused to play any level made by spaz. Opting instead for some damned level diversity.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

i use to play it on sundays in my church clothes, with my penny lofers, made me feel elegant as i carried on with the day to day violence in minerva.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Vli you bugger! :P

I cut my teeth on that level with a dude named "Underdawg". I wonder what he's up to these days...
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i hated palying warlord in minerva 69. omfg.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm.

Minerva doesn't stir up a negative response from me, oddly enough. Probably because it's been about three years since I last played it anyway.

Very memorable level though. Especially the way quad lasers and super lasers tended to congregate to insane proportions in that lower hallway.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

dont forget homers. oh my.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...yeah.

Although now that I'm mainly using D2x (and the UDP/IP netplay does work - I tested it with DH last weekend - although I'm not sure how good it would be over the internet or through the DSL router), I am somehow getting 30 fps and can probably dodge the homing missiles without an afterburner. I can definitely, quite easily, do it with one...
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Bah. Gigadeath or Ultra Earthshaker is where it's at.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

My first ever online Descent game was in Minerva with Thumb. I remember spending most of my time slinging vulcan to counter his fusion. I actually held even for most of the way...
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Me loves my Nirvana Levels
------
MMM. VAMPED
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Gig and UES were ass-ugly, but they had another interesting play dynamic.

It wasn't my favourite though. :) Too little work for your kills.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

topher, when D2X starts working good...you, me, and whoever else wants to should play hoard in UES :D
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

my first Descent multi in D1 Megerva. ... minerva with megas everywhere. .. a certain WTF moment. I lasted all of 45 seconds.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Never played it.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i will own you all in UES. own. ALL.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

MINEVRA is a Descent level for GroundPounders!

plasma fest of spray and pray
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Kur, remember STG? It was like a drug :P I should update that level and make it more playable.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I'll tell you my very first memories of Minerva:

Extreme Frustation!

Not that I couldn't play well, I couldn't play at all! No one would offer me Minerva at the very beginning!

Oh I asked Kali for it, but no one would ever offer it. All of my searches online in those early years came up with all kinds of variations of Minerva, but never the ORIGINAL VERSION EVERYONE WAS PLAYING!

I was so frustrated that I almost never came back, but eventually some how, I don't remember who, or when, I got hold of the actual real true Minerva made by Spaz, and for the first time, I could truly see just exactly how much my piloting skills sucked.

Then I decided to make my own levels. :D
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

STG owned!
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I remimber minerva. I liked it a little.

My favorite levels were always the original d1 chaos levels. Levels 1 and 2 were absolutely genious! Some guy named lothar, or was it Merlin, one of those I think, would usually join and totaly own me. Something about strafing by and firing a mega up the volcano as I came down. Aww, such warm memories.

Dang! Now I want to play again! :lol:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

IMO level 1 was badly designed... bottlenecks like that are okay for a plain slugfest, but when you want something more tricky to play in... hmm.

Basically, with that one, whoever got down the bottom first would completely rule the game.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Sirius wrote:Basically, with that one, whoever got down the bottom first would completely rule the game.
Good point. To me though I enjoyed it, kind of a "King of the Hill" type level. And also, the missiles (megas and smarts) respawn in random locations so eventually you would be able to aquire it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah... it COULD be fun, but got quite repetitive once you knew how to rule the level.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I set my very first multiplayer steps in that level (1on1 over direct modem), so it does bring back excellent memories :P

We had only one telephone line back then, so when my buddy and I were going to play, I'd go downstairs to tell my mom and dad not to pick up the phone if it rang. Then, a little later my dad would get upset when he heard the modem shrieking instead of a dial tone :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Heheh. Familiar here as well.

Of course, I've had DSL of some form or another for about five years now, so it's been a while since there was that annoyance to deal with.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I have some good memories of playing bhayes and Warlord in D1 minerva. Also War in min69. Course, I think the one time I did play min69 with War was also the last time because he made the mistake assuming that he could just pwn me in the main room and after 3-4 consecutive kills I made the mistake assuming that I could win the match when he never came into the big room again :P

Also had some great games against Naz in Minerva. I remember Ginrummy, Skyler, RavynX, Bagelboy (Sin) & myself having some really good FFA games in there. Even though I avoided playing it almost for two years I'd still say that I logged more hours in minerva then all the other levels. Course, since it was one of the few things hosted sometimes there wasn't much choice in the matter.

Think that was one of the reasons 1on1 was so much more exciting :)
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

Tyranny wrote:I have some good memories of playing bhayes and Warlord in D1 minerva. Also War in min69. Course, I think the one time I did play min69 with War was also the last time because he made the mistake assuming that he could just pwn me in the main room and after 3-4 consecutive kills I made the mistake assuming that I could win the match when he never came into the big room again :P
Oh god, ty. I bet i can explain how your game in there went. First of all it was very long. and second, war would sit at the end of the top long hallway leading to the reactor from the main room and play peekaboo with gauss :P

Am I right?

anyway minerva was just the hop spot when you first get home and jump on kali. you could always find a minerva game to rumble in.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

hehe, yeah, he'd either be up there or peek out from around the corner on the bottom hallway leading to the lower tunnels coming out from the reactor sniping :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Bah, if I still played I'd pwn you all in D-Day 97. ;)

Seriously though, I had loads of fun in Minerva playing tunnel rat. :P I'd hoard up a large supply of smart mines and keep dropping them behind the doors by the energy center and the tunnel. Of course, that wouldn't phase players that could actually dodge, but I gave them a hell of a fight with gauss and quad lasers. :D Minerva is loads of fun when you play on insane. :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

MD-2389 wrote:Bah, if I still played....
Zactly... All of you .... take that pile of parts and build a legacy box and get your butt back on KALI for some D1 and D2, you are not doing community any good just luking on the DBB
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Uh if you havnt noticed, a lot of us have been tinkering with d1x and d2x lately trying to get them ro work :P
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

d1x and d2x are fine and dandy..but it's easier and less time consuming to just throw together a POS 98SE box for Descent.

too many people give up with the DxX crap because of their joysticks not working
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

BUBBALOU wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:Bah, if I still played....
Zactly... All of you .... take that pile of parts and build a legacy box and get your butt back on KALI for some D1 and D2, you are not doing community any good just luking on the DBB
Actually, I hopped in for a game the other night and found out just how rusty I was. ;) Had a great time too. I'm definitely going to try to hop in a game or two. I don't suppose anyone has a spare oil can handy?

btw, I don't bother with a legacy box and just use D2x. :) CVS build 20031107 with the updated dll files works great. (Those of you that download this build, READ THE DAMN README.TXT!)
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

BUBBALOU wrote:d1x and d2x are fine and dandy..but it's easier and less time consuming to just throw together a POS 98SE box for Descent.

too many people give up with the DxX crap because of their joysticks not working
Ya thats what I plan on doing. I got a little 3gig hard drive laying around so i guess I'll throw win98, d1,d2 and duke on it :P
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Actually I plan on trying to learn to code in order to force d1x to work :P Several month project, hooray!
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I still play D2, but single-player only. No old machine needed, I just set the resolution higher and run it windowed to bring it down to 30 FPS... and what do you know, it's possible to dodge homing missiles.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Topher wrote:Bah. Gigadeath or Ultra Earthshaker is where it's at.
You got it. Miss them puppies.
Sup
DBB Co-Founder1
DBB Co-Founder1

Post by Sup »

I could never figure out exactly why everybody kept playing that same ugly level over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...

... anymore than I can quite understand why Winona Ryder robbed an upscale shop in Beverly Hills.

... oh ... yeah thats it:

Everybody must have been on drugs

Sup
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Because they were n00bs that didn't know any better, generally.