d1x for linux?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

d1x for linux?

Post by Xamindar »

I remimber a few years ago trying to compile d1x on linux. I finially was able to do it but it played very slow and it was in a window about the size of a post-it note.

So I'm considering wasting some more time on getting descent working under linux and want to know if anyone else has succesfully got it working to the point it is worth playing in linux. Is there any binaries, 3d accelerated versions, etc.

Also, about d2x, is it worth doing on linux? I found it on http://www.happypenguin.org/show?D2X but haven't tried it yet.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Well I got d2x working. Compiled perfectly. It has opengl support and does fullscreen. It has an occasional "jerk" but that is probably being caused by some process I have running.

It even plays the Descent1: First Strike levels. It only seems to support ipx though. I wonder if it will do multiplayer games with Descent1?

Can anyome enlighten me? I have kind of been out of this community for 2 years. So is d2x meant to replace d1x seeing as it not only plays descent2 but also descent1? Or is there still any advantage to getting d1x working?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

D1x is to D1 as D2x is to D2.

That being said, here is the official site for D1x.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

i played the first few levels of first strike in d2 and I saw texture errors out the wazoo for some reason. Not so at all in normal D2 levels.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Dude .. yor system just ain't normal .. ya know?

:lol:
talk to me on Kali and lets see if we can get it workin right.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

The problem is that alot of the textures D1 uses don't exist in the D2 pig files. D2 replaces the D1 textures with the equivilent textures in the D2 pig files. For some people, sticking "descent.pig" in the D2 dir. I'd recommend extracting the D1 missions from the D1 hog file (descent.hog) and sticking them in the D2 missions dir and have "descent.pig" in the D2 dir. The textures should load correctly then.
Lanjoe9
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

d2x for FreeBSD

Post by Lanjoe9 »

Hello there, I thought I'd never come back, but I had to see teh old Sk0ol.

I once managed to make d2x compile for FreeBSD, with multiplayer (the port has multiplayer disabled by default).

I lost these modifications but I'll do them again.

By the way, I don't know much about IPX in FreeBSD, is it enough to enable it in the kernel? Just enabling it and re-compiling it will do?