my favorite d1 missions...

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Warmaster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

my favorite d1 missions...

Post by Warmaster »

Io, maia-lh, greenland, wyndham, vamped nypd, and of course the best lvl ever made for descent.... ATHENA! :D

there are some other good ones but I forget....
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

What was the difference between Vamped and Vamped NYPD again, apart from the name?
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

extra fusion in NYDP and no homers

and it was New York Descent Players not New York Police Department ;)
Lanjoe9
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

my favorites

Post by Lanjoe9 »

Single player:
-The Catacombs
-Level 17 on First Strike
-Alien Stronghold

MultiPlayer:
-The volcano level on the Chaos pack
-The one before it (can't describe it properly, English is not my native language).
-Minerva (with some in-house expansions... wahahahah)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

its a misnomer, calling those levels 'missions' since they don't involve missions of any sort. How about: multiplayer levels? :P
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I like Penumbra and Icarus1
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

My thoughts too DFW, but I'll let them get away with it... :)

Wasn't the Catacombs a LotW level? Most of those were garbage, I'm sorry to say... but I think that one was passable.

Also, the volcano level was the first one in the Chaos pack... not exactly sure what came before it. ;)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Level 18: Miranda Mine
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

It really isn't a misnomer when you take into consideration that the goal in a multiplayer map is to eliminate all the other players and to achieve the highest kill total or to maintain the most kills while in said game. That really is the "mission" objective so calling a multiplayer map a mission is technically correct.

Descent:
http://missions.dyndns.org/mylvlsd1.html

Descent II:
http://missions.dyndns.org/mylvlsd2.html

Not all of those I'm absolutely fond of, but since I played them I didn't "hate" them. I liked some more so then others.
kurupt wrote:extra fusion in NYDP and no homers

and it was New York Descent Players not New York Police Department :wink:
Kur, it is NYPD, the level title and mission files were named incorrectly. Sure, some of us know the differences and what it was supposed to mean but it is what it is :P
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

SP are missions, MP are levels. :P
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Thats fine, you can play your SP missions.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

D1: Chaos was alot of fun. Especially when you take into account the way kali works when players join. After a few joins/parts, everyone has a mega. I still can't get over the last time I played that level. We were all in the lower part of the level, and by some chance we all found eachother at the center of the volcano and killed eachother with megas. :D Talk about a huge stockpile of weapons and shields. :mrgreen: It was definitely a race to see who would get to it first. ;)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

There weren't many D1 levels that I particularly liked... it was just "pick a level to fight in". I played Barathrum, Vamped and Neptune quite a lot. They were all much the same in the end anyway.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Tyranny wrote:
kurupt wrote:and it was New York Descent Players not New York Police Department :wink:
it is NYPD, the level title and mission files were named incorrectly.
Yeah, the New York Players of Descent didn't proofread.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

hehe
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

NYSA ownz them all!!
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

boater :P
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

u CAN aim homers ya know :)
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

Speaking of Jedi and Nysa...

I remember both of my Nysa games with Jedi. One was his first IDL match. I should have gotten a busdriver for it, but he hadn't officialized what was clearly his home level as yet. The second... I had my A game on that second time. 8)

Jedi, do you remember those matches? :D

- Sirian
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i played jedi maybe 10 times in nysa, and i think i won 3 of them. 3 of my more favorite wins =)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I played Jedi about half that in Nysa and didn't win any of them. Rattled him a few times, but that was about it. Jedi was fun to play mostly because of the antics afterwards, win or lose. The matches were tough and fun as hell too.

There is one that sticks out in my mind, the time I challenged him to a game in Fuzed after watching a demo of him playing Daz. Daz got him so mad he just kept charging to one side of the level or the other and just kept getting pwnd. Needless to say that didn't happend quite how I planned it to in our game :P

Sirian, do you remember that first and only time we played in Neptune and I went up by like 5 or 6 kills and you still ended up beating me 20-11? That was a fun day because earlier I lost to ENDER in the same level by the same score. Come to think of it, I lost a lot of games 20-11 or 20-18, go figure :P

Just stands out because that was the only time I recall us ever playing. You had just come back for a little period of time after being gone for a bit and then I don't think you played very much before you retired again. Chip did that a couple times too, which were the few times I ever got to play him as well.

Sometimes you wish you could rewind the years a bit...
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

I do remember that, Tyr. Was it 5 zip or 6 zip? I think it was 6. Not my biggest-ever comeback, though. Voyager got up on me 8 to 0 once and I came back.

I did a LOT of that. It's one reason I never got attracted to Case's Ladder for anything serious. A game to ten? Heck, at six points I may be just getting warmed up finally. 8) I preferred the longer games. The more time I had to get inside your head, the worse it was for you, no matter who you happened to be. I spotted folks 5 to 0 leads at least a dozen times. Not on purpose, mind you, but every level is different and every player is different. A new level OR a new player and I needed time to collect data on the opponent's strategy. Then it would be my turn. 8)

My trademark was steadiness. No such thing as a bad game for me. A bad run, yes. A bad game, no. I gave up runs during games, too, on rare occasions. A third of my UT losses came from falling into a bad stretch. Thing is, I was better at making others have a bad stretch than I was prone to having one myself.

If I hadn't played you before, falling down 0 to 5 was no big deal to me. I wouldn't get mad at getting killed. I WOULD LEARN. I would learn your strengths, then take them away from you. Lean the game plan to something you're not so strong at. The only folks who ever beat me consistently were those who had a very deep bag of tricks to draw upon.

It was really hard to rattle me. Only a few ever managed it. Sometimes someone else was just hungrier for it than I was, but it doesn't mean I was rattled. Some levels and weapons didn't lend as well to my strengths. That was IDL Upper Tier level competition, though. I never lost an exhibition match to the Lower Tier because folks in the Lower Tier were stuck down there FOR LACK OF a deeper bag of tricks. I could try four or five strategies and fail at them all, then pull out number six or seven and start whomping.

Descent was the most intensive strategy game that I ever played. :D

I beat Jedi in Nysa by refusing to chase him on his terms. Made for long games. Two hours the first time, hour and a half (on my modem dime) the second time. He had all these Jedi mind tricks, playing around in the reactor area, in the lower area. I would sit and watch sometimes for minutes as he ran through his scripted dances, the moves so familiar to him that they had their own rhythm. Doors would open and close, and Jedi is shooting at ghosts, laying traps for suckers. I was not a sucker. I was sitting in the main room sipping on a soda for minutes on end. Not that I got too relaxed. Nor was I camping and waiting for him to come out. I went on offense, sometimes very aggressively, but only when I saw an opening. VERY hard to find chinks in that armor -- he must have had five times my experience in the level if not more -- but eventually I did. He had a lot more defense than offense. I didn't beat him by that much either time, but the second time... Well, during the game he said I'd taken his home away from him, that he didn't have a home any more. It really wasn't that bad, but he was NOT used to opponents being completely unimpressed by and unmoved by his lures, traps and games.

Sometimes I miss the intensity of an IDL UT match. Here's a little known fact. Nobody would talk more trash to me in games than Karash. Even when he knew I wouldn't rise to the bait, he'd still try. He'd find ways to turn his own frustrations with me into taunts. Whatever he didn't want me doing, he'd try to pressure me out of it. I ate that up. It's too bad we never demoed our IDL matches. Some of the things we'd say to each other... We wouldn't have said such harsh things to a lesser friend. 8)

- Sirian
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Yeah, it was something like that. I remember at the start you just kind of went toe to toe with me in the back room or in the front dogfighting room collecting weapons as we went, just kind of free roaming and seeing what the other one was going to do next.

Then, whenever we ran into eachother we'd have at it. I'll admit now that I did become a bit over confident. Wasn't too often that I'd blow a lead of that magnitude. Only later did I start to respect every kill for what it was worth.

Then your strategy suddenly changed. It was a while ago so my memory is a little cloudy on what exactly it was you did differently. I think...it was probably the same type of tactic Jedi,Warlord,Birds used on me that worked so well being that I tried my damndest to be patient but I just couldn't stand sitting around for much too long.

You began sitting in the main room, low to the bottom of the ramp or somewhere in which you had a good vantage point of the three entrances into that room and just baited me to come to you. Couple times I felt like I was playing Jedi in there and at that time I think Neptune was my home level, lol.

Pretty soon my whole gameplan was out the window, not that it was a great gameplan at that time anyways, but you got to me and before I could try to get the pace back it was tied or you had taken the lead. Then it just came down to what I usually did when I got rattled and angry, which was charge and charge some more :P hence the 9pt deficit for the loss :P

This was also one of the reasons IDL was so much better then cases to me as well. It gave me an opportunity to improve on stamina, keeping up the tempo through 20 kills. I always started out strong but seemed to finish poorly with a loss or a 2pt win. It was only later when it was a little easier to 'close' out games so to speak. With certain people it was much harder then others of course.

It's just a shame that we can't bring some of that atmosphere back. It certainly would be a blast.
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

Hey Sirian...I do remember both games...but I mostly remember the 1st one.
The way you described how it went down is uncannily accurate.
I was doing my nysa routine which tended to work on almost every human being..save a rare few...and u would have nothing to do with it. My dogfighting skills were always my weakest point. Mind Tricks were my strong point.
Too bad we didn't all have the connections we have now...back when Descent was in its prime.

I wish you and I had played more often...i think i would have become a much better player than i ended up being had we logged several more games together.

--Jeds
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

Uncannily accurate? Unforgettable games, easy to remember the details. 8) Memory is one of my strongest assets. It's how I could turn games around after falling down 0 to 5 and such. I'd remember every move the opponent made, and any move they made too often would be turned into a liability for them. The guys who beat me were the ones who had lots of moves and resisted the temptation to fall into lazy playing.

Predicted = dead. If I got out in front of your game plan, if I got your number and I had a move or a plan to counter, you were through. :)

- Sirian
Doplgngr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Doplgngr »

Sirian! Howya been ol' friend?
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

Hey Dop! Should've known you'd emerge if there was an intensive and nostaligic NYSA discussion taking place. :) I'm doing well, plugging along. Say Hi to the guys down in atLANta for me. 8)

- Sirian
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I suppose the Revivals wouldn't be a bad time to get more 1 on 1 action started up.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Favorite D1 campaigns: Ironstar and Ironblade by Lars Christensen and Grant Hallman (G.E.L.D.).