D1 Revival

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D1 Revival

Post by Jediluke »

I just dusted off my old '98 Descent machine...so um...when is the D1 revival night? :)

I played a game of D1 and discovered that I can't aim nor fly...but it sure was fun.

--Jeds
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, believe it or not there actually isn't a D1 revival running at the moment, just a D2 one.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean there couldn't be... just run them on alternating weekends or something.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i'd play if i could get d1 workin on xp :(
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've never played D1 multiplayer, but I'd love to give it a try. :)
Motorman!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Motorman! »

Well, you can always stop by a D2 revival, and I'd be more than willing to make time for D1.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah; I should ask Phaser about running a D1 game or two during the next Revival.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Ha, that would be fun! I could be persuaded to show up to a D1 revival or two, once I get over Descent-handicapping hand injury that I recently sustained when I got into a fight with one of my kitchen knives...

That would be -cool-.
Motorman!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Motorman! »

Drak, it's been a while. I hope to see you there!
moh
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by moh »

I'll gladly own you like old times JL

;)
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

i loved it when we had our little private 1 on 1's and you owned me in the dark ;)

forever yours,

Jeds
moh
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by moh »

i think i played better with my eyes closed

atleast the score was the same
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

i still lust u moh

it's all good
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I knew I kept that old K6-2 450 around for something. ;) I wonder if my Wingman Strike Force 3D will work on it....
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

i say give it a shot :)

then we can hook up for a game of D1
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

Top gun did ask me about playing around two D1 games in the D2 Revival. And i figure as long as we have a D2 game going on at the same time and nobody gets carried away with it then it's ok. All i have to say is if too many people don't wonna play D2 or something along those lines i might just become like stealth and give up on the D2 revivals. I feel very strong about this. Let me know your thoughts. If you want to know....Stealth (the original D2 Revival host) doesn't like the idea. He said it is a "D2 REVIVAL".!

Phaser Out!!
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

it's lookin to me like Descent in general could use all the players it can get.

D2 games seem few and far between...same for d1.

I don't see the harm in perhaps chaging the D2 Revival to Descent Revival Night.

Then again...I don't care what you call it...I'm just looking to get a game in here and there.

I'm not here to rock the boat and make anyone mad.

--Jeds
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The D2 Revival is every month or so, right?

What if the D2 Revival and a new D1 revival were held on alternating fortnights? There does -seem- to be enough interest out there.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Oh heck yea.

Great idea Sirius.!
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

i'm not up for the D1 Revival. But then again i don't have D1 and i think it should be an original. The D2 revival was something stealth created, I think we should respect that and not copy it by a D1 revival. Phaser Out..!!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, yes... but people want to play D1 as well, that's the problem.

It would make more sense if there was no "that's fine but most people have to be playing D2" restriction, hence my suggestion of a separate event.

Obviously you wouldn't be hosting it since you don't have D1, but I'm sure there are people who do that could do so.

If there are better ideas... by all means...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Phaser, no one's disrespecting Stealth's hard work on the D2 Revivals by suggesting a D1 Revival. Just as all of us love playing D2 at the Revivals, there's another group of people who used to play D1 and would like to take it up again, or who have never played D1 at all. Some people, like me for instance, would play both games. Having some sort of D1 gathering wouldn't take anything away from the D2 Revivals; in fact, it's a better idea than trying D1 during the D2 Revivals, so that we don't have any problems with people playing more D1 than D2. It's been said, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." :) I don't think that anyone who would play at some sort of D1 revival would see it as a copy of the D2 Revivials; it's merely trying to breathe new life into the original Descent, without which D2 wouldn't even exist anyway. My point is, I think there's plenty of room for both a D1 and a D2 revival; personally, I'd like to play in both. :D No one's belittling Stealth or his great contributions to D2; we'd just like to do to D1 what Stealth and you have done to D2. Neither game should remain unplayed; both deserve to stay alive and live on. :D

P.S. Would it help matters if it was called something else, like the "D1 Defibrillator" or something? :P
Rethink
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Rethink »

Why dont you people come into kali? THATS WHERE YOUR GOING TO FIND A REVIVAL! :)
Oh yeah Moh, im STILL using that serial.. lol
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

To some extent, I actually have more fun in D1 than in D2... probably because of the weapons balance and that D1X generally performs better than D2X for me at least.
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

i had no idea that D2 revivalists had strong feelings against the original.

i've never been a fan of d2 but I play it and I'm all for ppl continuing to play it. I just think that Descent in general is pretty damned dead and there shouldn't necessarily be individual revival nights. Descent lovers/players should try to gather at a certain time and day to get their descent groove on...be it in d1 or d2 or god for bid d3...whater the players feel like playing at that moment. Heck, they could do something crazy like play a d1 game then a d2 game then a d3 game...etc.

Where's the harm?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Shouldn't be any harm. The revival should be that people just play.
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

Top gun, or tyranny, or who ever i should say this to..It doesn't matter.What i say or have said. it wont really change anything, you will do what you wish. And i can't change that. All i can do is give you my opinion. :| Phaser out.!!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

How about a "D1 Kicks D2's @$$ Revival".
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

All I'm saying is you shouldn't need a specific NIGHT to enjoy either game. If people just came on a little more regularly to play like they did years ago then you'd find more games and could just PLAY. That would be the revival, the revival of the game.

It isn't going to happen however because most of us have other games that we enjoy playing or are just to occupied with life at this point in time to devote anything to descent. It was great while it lasted but the truth of the matter is most of us only come back for maybe a week? two weeks? to get our descent fix and then we go back to playing more interesting games.

Nothing will ever replace what we've enjoyed while playing Descent. Thats why we still talk about it and some even still play. The truth of the matter is that those who we enjoyed playing with the most are most likely long gone and the game just doesn't hold the same value as it once did when we come back to try and reclaim something that we lost.

There is no going back. We'll see what happens when Core Decision gets thrown into the mix and see how many of us come out of the woodwork to try to bring back something thats been gone for quite some time now.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Tyranny, what you say is true, but the people who are losing out here are those of us who weren't around for the glory days of Descent. Heck, by the time I got Internet access and a good enough computer to run D3, that was past its golden age as well. I missed out on all of those memories that the old-timers in this forum reminisce about, and I regret it almost every day. There's still a chance to keep these games alive, but if no one sticks around long enough to keep them going, then it seems that we newcomers are out of luck.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I know what you mean.

The only problem with holding games just whenever is that it won't last long, as you say Tyranny.

However, I should note the D2 revivals have been reasonably strong all through. Sometimes there was a comparatively low turnout, but there has always been interest.

A specific night also helps people find each other... at the very least it's better than checking in every night.

Though that does raise a point... I'm not sure a formal event is absolutely necessary for D1... if you just make it the weekend and try to look people up then... it might work. Or every second weekend or month, if there's still not enough interest... but it does look like there is still some. And I'm sure most of us here are still interested enough in D1 to play it a little every -month- without getting bored. :] The big concern is getting it working.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

Avder wrote:How about a "D1 Kicks D2's @$$ Revival".
I agree.
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

Vlider wrote:
Avder wrote:How about a "D1 Kicks D2's @$$ Revival".
I agree.

How would everyone like there to not be a revival??? Stealth already quit the revivals. I put a lot of time into the revivals. It doesn't feel very good to have people not apprecicate them and say that "D1 Kicks D2's @$$ Revival".
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Agreed... if you don't like them, don't come... no need to sling off at D2 just because of it. Phaser puts a lot of effort into organising them...
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Itâ??s been while since I last played D1 so Iâ??m for a group game. But I canâ??t help find it funny that some of you still argue over two old games. All Iâ??m going to say is get a D1 Revival going regardless of what any one says. My not get as many people that you would for D2 but whoâ??s counting. Itâ??s very simple if you want to play then join if not thatâ??s your business.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sirius wrote:Agreed... if you don't like them, don't come... no need to sling off at D2 just because of it. Phaser puts a lot of effort into organising them...
Agreed. She puts alot of work into these revivals and just to go around saying "D1 rules, D2 sux0rz" is just a slap in the face to her efforts.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

MD-2389 wrote:Agreed. She puts alot of work into these revivals and just to go around saying "D1 rules, D2 sux0rz" is just a slap in the face to her efforts.
:roll:

Nobody is taking away the effort Phaser puts into putting together the revivals. Some of you need to lighten up...that includes you too Phaser :P
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

Tyranny wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:Agreed. She puts alot of work into these revivals and just to go around saying "D1 rules, D2 sux0rz" is just a slap in the face to her efforts.
:roll:

Nobody is taking away the effort Phaser puts into putting together the revivals. Some of you need to lighten up...that includes you too Phaser :P
not ONE person said it was taking away the effort i put into the revivals!!! Including me! We just said that it's rude to say something like "D1 kicks D2 @$$ Revival". I mean that's a diss to the revivals. everyone can say D1 is good..i don't care. When you say D2 sucks & D1 can kick D2 @$$ people who like D2 will stand up for it. Also when you incude revivals in it that's a diss to stealth and I, people who like the revivals will also stand up for them. By the way thanks Siruis and MD-2389. :wink: One more thing i don't know why you guys are getting so much into the D1 thing because D1 has no afterburner, and less of a weapon variety. Of course i'm saying this and i used to play D1 every once in a while. :roll:

Phaser Out..!

Also bare this in mind.....Stealth tried the D1 thing at the revivals, he even went as far as making a D1 revival pack. It only lasted one revival, then it went back to just D2. So apparently majority of the interst lies in D2. You can play D1 all you want but leave the Revivals out of it. If you take this last part as me being mean or rude i'm sorry. i don't mean for it to be that way. I'm not sure of anther way to put it. :wink:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Really? That was a while ago, obviously, but I didn't know about it... interesting.
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

kurupt wrote:i'd play if i could get d1 workin on xp :(
I don't know if this has been answered or if you've tried this, but you can download D1X from PD and it works for me.