First post from the new guy!

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
ottopilot61
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

First post from the new guy!

Post by ottopilot61 »

I just got a copy of D1 and I'm all the way up to level 2 already!! Upgraded it to 1.43 and it looks and sounds great. I use a Logitech wingman extreme J/s but I can't seem to tweak it to where I want it so I just use the keyboard for now. I see alot of references to the Sidewinder J/S in the BB, is this what I need? Also, is there a big difference in D1 and D2?

Jim (aka Ottopilot61)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Yeah, big diff between D1 and D2. D2 has the afterburner, more weapons newer levels.

D3 is even better but that all depends on the person.

The Sidewinder 3d Pro is the best stick for D1/D2.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

A Sidewinder is generally one of the most compatible models, if you can't get what you have to work.

If you have a choice of operating system, definitely play Descent under 9x rather than XP. XP can be done, but it has a lot more issues to resolve.

There isn't TOO much difference between D1 and D2, but there are a few. From a single-player perspective, D1 is -probably- better as the robots just feel nastier and the levels creepier. Descent 2 has some interesting additions though; some of the new weapons are pretty cool, even if they had to cripple old ones to make them seem better; it also has the Thiefbot and Guide-bot, like them or hate them; the bosses have interesting new characteristics, and so on. The levels also tend to be less tunnel-ratty and a bit more open.

From a multiplayer perspective, D2 is simply less balanced (unless you are quite careful) than D1, and the ship is slower to make up for the afterburner.

Actually, that reminds me. D2 has, obviously, an afterburner, the effect of which is obvious; an ammo rack, which doubles the ammunition you can carry (a 40,000-round gauss cannon lasts forever), an energy-to-shield converter, and a full map powerup.

D2 is just an 'enhancement' to the original, in summary, although many people still like the original better. There is a three-level demo out there, which you can find on PlanetDescent. It'll give you a good idea what the game is like.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Hey! Welcome to Descent and the DBB! Now go out and buy Descent3! ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Descent 1 is a much better first choice. ;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sirius wrote:Descent 1 is a much better first choice. ;)
To start out with, yes. :) He's gonna love D2 though, if only for the intro video. :)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Yeah, big diff between D1 and D2. D2 has the afterburner, more weapons newer levels.

D3 is even better but that all depends on the person.
Blasphemy! ;)
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

D2 is the ultimate!! (plus I run it on XP without D2X! my fix is here)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Um...the Win95 executable works fine in XP without any tweaking of the compatibility modes. Most people didn't use the Win95 executable because it sucked for joystick players and suffered from some other problems. The issue was that the better DOS version doesn't run on XP, which is why D2x is needed to play on that OS and on Win2K.

So that "fix" doesn't really do anything...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The DOS version CAN run on Windows XP, but from my memory it has some problems with speed and possibly multiplayer.