Wingman Extreme..Thrustmaster Top Gun??

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Cinside
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Wingman Extreme..Thrustmaster Top Gun??

Post by Cinside »

Hi everyone,
I used to play D1 with my son when he was 7 years old, and now he's 15 and I'm trying to get this to work in XP because he loved it so much and wants to play it with his friends now (I'm too old and beatable...@#$%!:).

With the full version 1.0 patched >1.4>1.4a>1.5 and then running the (Dos mode) D1x143mw.exe it works very well and full-screen. The (Win) d1x143_oglmw.exe also works pretty well, though not quite full-screen even though the 1024x768 setting is in the .ini file. Don't know why.

But I'd really like to get a joystick working smoothly, and both my Wingman Extreme and Top Gun seem to be jerky and don't hold steady (I have to pull hard to the right, even after adjustment). So, does anyone have suggestions on what might get one or the other to work, or should I just give it up and by a different joystick?

Other than joystick suggestions, any help (or a sample .ini) that would get the windows Open-GL version to run full screen would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

BTW.. I'm very grateful to every single person who loved this game and those programmers who took it on themselves to keep it running (now in XP). I had a lot of fun raising my son playing this game and we still laugh about how much fun it was. I'm hoping to get it running over IP so we can do it all again.
Mucho appreciation...
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

have you tried adding

-joypolled
-fullscreen
-nicefps

into the D1x.ini?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ok, here's what I did (I have the Wingman Strike Force 3D, but this worked for my Wingman Extreme Digital as well.). Install D1 and patch it to 1.5. Unzip the D1x opengl version into the D1 dir. Open notepad and use the following command line options (note that they are on seperate lines):

-nicefps
-maxfps 35
-fps
-pps 7
-playermessages
-shortpackets
-notitles
-gl_intensity4_ok 0
-gl_mipmap
-gl_reticle 1

Then save in notepad as d1x.ini (be sure to select "All files" as a file type, or notepad will stick .txt onto the end of the file) in your Descent directory and you should be good to go. Be sure to calibrate your joystick in windows first.