Hook me up with D1 and D2? Please?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Hook me up with D1 and D2? Please?

Post by Jesus Freak »

First off:

1. Where can I download them?
2. anything special I should know(I DO know some about d1x and d2x)???
3. Anything I should know about working Kali? How can I get a username and password without paying? (by the way, I have a router. Any ports I should forward?)
4. What joysticks are known to work ok with d1 and d2? I have a sidewinder precision 1 joystick, though I don't like it. Could that work? Anything else control related I could know?
5. I have windows XP Pro SP2. I have run D1 and D2 on xp pro before. What is not supposed to work right on xp? I need to know what I CAN fix and what I can NOT fix.

Is that all I should ask? I'm a relative newbie when it comes to D1 and D2, though I have played them a little bit before... Anyway, thanks for the feedback ahead of time.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Hook me up with D1 and D2? Please?

Post by DCrazy »

Jesus Freak wrote:First off:

In the Western world we pay money for goods and services. That includes video games.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

I have D1 and D2 on cd, so that's not a super issue. I just don't want to break the seal to the wrapper for the box. :/

I got on the Descent kali server and chatted with a bunch of people that I don't know and a couple that I do. I'm gettin sorta excited for some D1 action now that I'm on cable :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Hook me up with D1 and D2? Please?

Post by Sirius »

Jesus Freak wrote:First off:

They're around. I can't tell you any more on this board though, as I remember.
2. anything special I should know(I DO know some about d1x and d2x)???
You probably need them unless you're willing to go through a lot of heartache to fix all the problems. PlanetDescent may have links to the most recent versions, or you can visit the different programs' websites... I think at http://www.warpcore.org/d1x/ and http://d2x.icculus.org/d2x/
3. Anything I should know about working Kali? How can I get a username and password without paying?
It doesn't require a username and password if you're unregistered; you just need to use a unique username (registered users have first dibs on nicknames).

You get a 30-day trial, last I heard, before you have to register; this should be enough to let you know whether it's going to work.
(by the way, I have a router. Any ports I should forward?)
HOPEFULLY not. If you do the ports are configurable from in Kali; if you have certain types of routers, e.g. Netgear, even that isn't going to help you. With any luck a new release of Kali that is supposed to provide a workaround to that problem will come out fairly soon.
4. What joysticks are known to work ok with d1 and d2? I have a sidewinder precision 1 joystick, though I don't like it. Could that work? Anything else control related I could know?
Apparently the 3D Pro doesn't have many problems with either D1x or D2x, if you actually have one. The Precision Pro should work I -think-, but any joystick that uses USB apparently has problems with D1x no matter what you do. So keep that in mind; you sadly need ancient serial-port designs to play that.
5. I have windows XP Pro SP2. I have run D1 and D2 on xp pro before. What is not supposed to work right on xp? I need to know what I CAN fix and what I can NOT fix.
Usually sound, although (Win32) D1x and D2x fix this. You can also fix it by running the program through a utility called VDMSound, but that isn't the preferred option these days.
Some DOS-based builds of D1 (e.g. D1x versions 1.40 and earlier) won't work at all thanks to video system incompatibilities with Windows.

I've also noticed that network support in the original DOS versions of D1 and D2 is pretty dodgy in Windows XP; they burst relentlessly over Kali. VDMSound won't fix that, but D1x/D2x will.
Is that all I should ask? I'm a relative newbie when it comes to D1 and D2, though I have played them a little bit before... Anyway, thanks for the feedback ahead of time.
Seems pretty thorough. Good luck getting into the game.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

OK. I got D1 and D2 installed and running with d1x and d2x. D1 is running flawlessly except I still need to get the twist to function if possible. I could adjust to not having the twist, but... ya know :) Right now the problem is when I click on the axis for bank right/left, it automatically comes up with y2. With that my ship just spins in circles. I need x2. It was hard to overcome even in D3, and I have not done it for years since I store my pilot profiles :P So that is my only complaint with D1(outside of my router issues discussed in multiplayer).

For D2, I have a problem with it holding down my up slide even after I let go of the button. I have to press the up slide button a 2nd time in order to release the slide. It's kinda annoying, and I can't do many maneuvers because of it.

Regardless, soon I should be rocking in the mines for D1 and D2 :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Dude, kali is a one time fee of twenty dollars. If you're that damn poor, then you shouldn't even be on a computer. I've owned my license for many years now and it was WELL worth all the fun I've had.

That being said, try calibrating your damn joystick. :P
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Best $20.00 I ever spent :)

I see Jay knocked off about four bux if you order through paypal. :roll: hehe. Otherwise he jumped it back up to twenty.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm a cheapskate; I jumped in during the $10 period. :P
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

D1 is working flawlessly now. And btw I have a serial also. Next is D2!!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Jesus Freak wrote:And btw I have a serial also.
Good boy! ;)
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

yeah well it isn't the best 20 dollars spent if kali goes bankrupt and loses your account info.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Oh my, youre talking twenty bucks here. Even a kid with a paper route could afford to purchase a serial. Even if ya use Kali just once, you have only lost twenty measly bucks.