D2X-W32: Fully CTF enabled!

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-W32: Fully CTF enabled!

Post by Diedel »

D2X-W32 now fully supports CTF!

Hi,

after some discussion with Sirius about D2's CTF flaws (which I hadn't had a clue of), I have updated my D2X-W32 version so that it now fully supports CTF games:
  • Flags will now always respawn in their "home" segment after scoring.
  • A team can only score if their flag is "at home".
  • Flags can now be picked up by their own teams. If a team picks up their own flag, it will be returned to its "home" segment.
  • If a segment containing a player start position is marked as flag goal, it will become a spawn point exclusive to the team owning the goal. The segment will be marked as team-exclusive and then turned into a normal (non-goal) segment, so that it cannot be (ab)used as flag goal.
  • Additionally, D2X-W32 will allow to have powerups always respawn at their initial locations (with the limitation that if a level contains several powerups of the same type - e.g. several Plasma cannons - they will randomly respawn in one of the segments that initially held a powerup of that type. If possible, a segment will be used not currently containing another powerup of that type).
How does that sound? :D

Caveats if mixing D2X-W32 with other D2-Versions: In that case, the features mentioned above may not work, depending on which client choses spawn locations.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I dont suppose d2x supports hoard does it? Ive been jonesin' for some UES horde for about the past 3 years.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D2 supported hoard, and so does D2X.

(Geez, I'm all excited about a useable CTF mode in D2, and this guy asks about hoard ... :oops: )
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Only the Vertigo version of D2 supported Hoard.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You're right. D2X is based on D2-Vertigo though.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Wow; very nice work Diedel! :D I'll have to get this newsified over at PD. I'm going to have to try to get your D2X version working again. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I just cannot understand why it doesn't work for some people. I haven't messed around with the code all that much. I wish I had access to your machines so that I could debug it there.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

To tell you the truth, I haven't tried it on this particular machine; I know it didn't work on my family PC. I'll have to get around to it one of these days.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Ah, so the player starts will have to be in the flag base. Shouldn't be a problem, it just means that has to be accommodated for when designing the level.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ok, my next project... design a CTF level for this thing. :)

Will require some thinking, but this is the sort of thing people have been waiting for for years...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

DarkHorse wrote:Ah, so the player starts will have to be in the flag base. Shouldn't be a problem, it just means that has to be accommodated for when designing the level.
Not so. If a player start location is placed in a segment of type "flag goal", my D2X version will turn that segment into a normal (non-flag goal) segment and mark it as exclusive spawn point for the team owning the flag goal (i.e. if the spawn point is in a red flag goal, only players of the red team will spawn there). Ofc, this does not work in other D2 versions, but you might work around having undesired flag goals by putting the spawn points behind a one way door. I don't know whether D2 might place flags in such segments occasionally however - but mixing my D2X version with others and trying to play my CTF mode doesn't make much sense anyway.