D2X-W32 CTF level: FV-24B

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

D2X-W32 CTF level: FV-24B

Post by Sirius »

Over the last couple days I've been working on a new CTF level built to take advantage of the new features D2X-W32 has introduced. It should be ready sometime in the next day or two.

Screenshots coming soon. :) It's a pretty simple level, which takes some ideas from the popular D3 level Halcyon but sparingly enough to look different.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I am looking forward to getting my hands on it! :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

So where is the level? :D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Waiting until I can take screenshots/test it...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hey, where's the level? ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I haven't been able to test it yet - which I'd like to do to ensure my implementation of CTF in the level is correct - since I am still unable to initialise a multiplayer game of any type with D2X W32. (Maybe it's related to the changes you've been making to the UDP code not being complete yet, although IPX over Kali doesn't seem to work either...)

I can get some screenshots though.

The big room in the middle:

Underneath room on either side (in this case the red area, as the floor indicates):

And the red base:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ooh yes, I have messed around a little in the higher level networking code to allow for server and client run on the same machine ...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

we really need higher-res textures..

I wonder how D2's textures would look if we ran them thru HQXX?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If anybody would make higher res/higher color depth textures for D2, I'd do my best to make d2x-w32 (and DLE-XP) work with them.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I've been able to do testing on this one, but it unfortunately doesn't work correctly.

Scoring seems to be all but impossible; additionally, returning the flag only works for the player that did it. The other players still see it where it was.

I suspect the problem is that D2X W32 unfortunately has some bugs in CTF handling. But the player respawn system -does- work; and the flag return system also works in part, even if not completely.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It's rather that the changes in flag status aren't sent to the other players. I will have to look into this.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Released!

Post by Sirius »

Okay, I've finally got it finished. I would put it up on my website, except the host went down. Again. Everything I sign up for seems to do that. :)

So, I found somewhere else to put it.
FV-24B
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Veeeeery cool. :)

Very nice level. Cool ideas. I like the grate at the flag room allowing you to snipe into the main hall - or vice versa.

Edit: I found the level very bright. For the fun of it I had added colored light info to the goals, reactor and fuel centers and had the light recomputed. It turned out much darker. I liked it better then. ;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'd get it hosted on PD, but I can't seem to download the file at the moment. The screenies look great, though. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ah, yeah. The level used to be worse, but I cut it to 200% illumination so that there was at least some graduation in lighting.

Reason I didn't use 100% is that, although it sort of looks a bit nicer, it can get hard to see and that wasn't really the intention this time. (Edit: Although I certainly wouldn't object if it was possible for people to light the level how they wanted it. Unfortunately it isn't, at least not if they want to play together...)

I'll send it to you Top Gun... free file hosts apparently tend to be dodgy, so PD would be a better solution.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sirius,

if the 'bright player ship' option is used, there should not be a problem with level brightness.