D2X-W32: Bar HUD rendering issues, dual joystick support

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-W32: Bar HUD rendering issues, dual joystick support

Post by Diedel »

I have fixed the bar HUD rendering issues (AB gauge, fuel gauge, ship not drawn) and added dual joystick support. For the latter I'd need a "lab rat", i.e. somebody testing it. I think Ferno would be exactly the right person. :D
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

downloading

EDIT: This build doesn't even start up.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Starts up for me.

Try to delete your player files and create a new one.

Actually a good idea would be to make a clean D2 install in an extra folder, delete any default player files there, and put all the d2x-w32 files there. Eventually this might cure the crash problem.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I dunno if this is what you did or not, but it would be neat to see a list of system-installed joysticks in the control config options menu, and then d2 would remember which joystick youre using by name(s) instead of joystick id numbers.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

EDIT: hold the phone.... let me try something..

nope, still no good.

D2X-w32 gives me this:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

Also, for reference:

Warning: sdl-joystick: found 24 buttons, only 16 supported. Game may be unstable. <--this would be my USB throttle.

This is on a clean install, with no player files.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel,
Can I please make a small suggestion?
I know that you're a busy man and all. But is it possible to add a BUILD number in the menu of D2x-w32? http://img130.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img130& ... ild5yp.jpg Also if its not asking to much. Renaming the d2x-w32.zip to add the BUILD number in as well? (d2x-w32_buildxxxx.zip)It would help to keep track of all the builds you make so every one knows whats the latest build to download. Plus it would help when posting a prob you'll be able to ask what build that person has. They can even tell you what build it is when posting the prob.
Cheers!
Aus-RED-5
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Thats a good idea. I wouldn't recommend that too many people download at this time as it would seem that D2x-w32 is really in debug/beta testing stages. Course, I would imagine the more feedback the better, but it would be best if people didn't come off with the impression that this application is already "ready to use" and then get turned away from it if something goes wrong.

Perhaps I'm looking too far into things, considering the state of the community and all, it probably isn't really that big of a deal.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Got some feedback for ya Diedel.

Over the weekend had those wepons and animation bugs in last week version of d2x-w32.
Did a clean install of everything encluding new player profile and using same version of d2x-w32 on both pcs. I Did a lan game to test that version and got those bugs. http://img113.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img113& ... 5053be.jpg (2/26/05)

This week version (3-01-05) seems to be working better for me. No bugs to report sofar. Even did a lan game to test it. http://img101.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img101& ... 1056in.jpg Wepons and animation are normal again. Don't know why everybody else is having probs? On my end all work smooth.
So as for me. Good work Diedel! Keep it up!
Cheers! :)

NOTE: I'll have to try a lan game or kali game using this week version of d2x-w32 (winXP Pro) with D2 3dfx v1.06b (win98se). I have both versions. Will let you know later.

UPDATE: Did the Kali net game option. Works great! No wepons or animation bugs. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

For some ppl, d2x-w32 crashes either right at program startup before displaying the main menu, or when they try to start a game.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

uh...the "Create Kali Netgame" and "Join Kali Netgame" multiplayer menu options were removed several releases ago after Diedel figured out what was causing the error in the networking code. You don't need those options when IPX is working how it should.

That would explain why you're not getting any crashes because I believe you're behind on the latest builds :P The last D2x-w32 version I remember working correctly was the one released shortly after Diedel fixed the IPX/Kali issue.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It looks like the crash is caused somewhere in the menu code. Every menu can have a title and a subtitle, and the crash is caused when d2x-w32 reaches that spot. Ironically enough, both title and subtitle are empty at that occasion and are not accessed. tsk.

Update:

The crash seems to be caused by some floating point to integer conversion and not the title processing. Weird.

Update 2:

Menu crash bug solved. It was indeed caused by some floating point issue. Very strange. Blame the compiler. The versions of d2x-w32 created last year had all been built with MSVC 6 SP 5. Maybe MSVC .NET screws floating point stuff up somehow. If nothing else helps I will compile d2x-w32 with MSVC 6 and see whether that cures all problems.

Update 3:

Compiling with MSVC 6 cures the crash bug when starting a game, too. Microcrap software, grrrr. Unfortunately, SDL 1.2.8 doesn't compile with MSVC 6. So either I can upload a working d2x-w32 version with SDL 1.2.7, or I will need somebody to assist me in tracking down the crash bug when starting a game.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Just as a suggestion, try compiling it under Bloodshed.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't know what Bloodshed is, and I won't use another compiler. It works with MSVC 6, so what.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Bloodshed Dev-C++, a free IDE for the MinGW compiler.

If you've got MSVC6, and it works acceptably under that (and hopefully .NET, one day) there really is no advantage in switching... unless SDL 1.2.8 actually does compile in that - and the D2 source. Which is hard to guarantee.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Exactly. I know I can trust MSVC, at least v6 (using it for years professionally). I am sure I will find out what goes wrong with d2x-w32 on certain machines when compiled with MSVC .NET (crashs only occur with the optimized release version, so the optimizer must do something to the code).

MSVC v6 doesn't know the (Windows) function GetAncestor() and its parameters - that's the only reason I cannot currently compile SDL 1.2.8 with MSVC 6. d2x-w32 seems to work well with SDL 1.2.7 though.

Sirius,

I have sent you another e-mail. I am currently in the process of preparing a new d2x-w32 (.NET) with more log output and will let you know when it's available.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Diedel wrote:MSVC v6 doesn't know the (Windows) function GetAncestor() and its parameters - that's the only reason I cannot currently compile SDL 1.2.8 with MSVC 6. d2x-w32 seems to work well with SDL 1.2.7
You might want to update your copies of VS and the Platform SDK.

GetAncestor() Has been around since win98.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know that it's a Windows function - it's just not in my MSVC 6 SDK, although I have SP 5. Thanks for the links.

Update:

I have installed both VS6SP6 and the XPSP2 PSDK, but still get an error on GetAncestor. This is due to WINVER being set to 0x0400. If I define it as 0x0500, I get a warning that at the time when my copy of VS6 had been published, that Windows versions were in beta state and I can only create a beta application.

So basically I don't know where to put the SDK Update so that VS6 properly processes it.

Update 2:

Well ... this "beta" stuff obviously is rather a warning. d2x-w32 works well when compiled with WINVER 0x0500.

Anyway I'd love to know how to install the SDK update properly. Currently it sits in its own folder in "C:\Program files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows XP SP2".
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

add

C:\Program files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows XP SP2\lib and C:\Program files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows XP SP2\include to there respective spots on the directroy tab of the options dialog.

put them up top.

Tho, im using the feb 2003 SDK...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Thx. It was that simple ... :)