D2X-W32: Flare bug fixed, player selection fixed

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-W32: Flare bug fixed, player selection fixed

Post by Diedel »

Fixed the newly introduced "can't fire flare" bug.

Fixed not being able to select another player profile when using the "-player" command in the command line or d2x.ini file.

New d2x-w32 version available.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Crash persists but has reverted to immediately after player selection dialog.

This is really, really weird.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sirius,

please check your message box (PM).

Edit: Got your player file, works w/o problems on my machine.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

for some reason D2x refuses to even start up now on my machine. and i'm running the latest official cat's
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ferno,

please do a clean install of D2 in some new folder (e.g. "c:\games\d2x-w32"), delete the default player file, unzip the d2x-w32 zip file there and try whether that helps.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

It isn't just him. The last two D2x-w32 applications I've downloaded hang at the splash screen where it says "Loading Data" after I've selected a pilot. Even with no pilot profiles in it, if I go to "Create New" it does the same thing. The menu items don't even come up before Windows says it needs to close the application because there was an error.

Not to mention Ferno just re-installed D2. So he has just about as fresh of a new install as you can have. I've also been testing D2x-w32 on both my main install of D2 and a seperate cleaner install of D2 and it does the same thing.

Is it possible that somehow one or more of the files you've included in the .zip have been corrupted?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

did the updates for d2 affect anything other than the executable?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

A clean install would mean newly installed and patched to 1.2. D2x won't run with an unpatched Descent. I'm wondering though if these crashes are a result of some miscommunication between the main application and the other D2 files it interacts with (excluding the SDL file). It doesn't explain though why each release works for Diedel and not for us...however a corruption somewhere between when it gets uploaded to his webhost and when we download it might explain these issues.

Who knows... :x
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The files cannot get corrupted every time I upload or you download them. And if d2x-w32 starts, the problem is elsewhere. Maybe it has something to do with the newly added flags and their being stored in some binary data file.