D2X-W32: Vanishing powerups bug fixed and more ...

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-W32: Vanishing powerups bug fixed and more ...

Post by Diedel »

Well, I've fixed the vanishing powerups bug.

Besides that, I've added a new "respawn delay" option allowing to set a respawn delay time between 0 and 60 secs. That means that powerups that were placed somewhere in the mine by the level author and are of the kind that respawns when used (e.g. rockets) will only respawn after the specified time has passed.

Additionally, I have added two files "d2x-w32-dbg.exe" and "msvcr71d.dll" to the d2x-w32 zip file. Those ppl with crashes can place these two files in their D2 folder and run it. It's simply a debug version of d2x-w32 that will create a file named "d2x_log.txt" in c:\ and that will contain some information on what d2x-w32 did until it crashed. You can e-mail that file to karx11erx_at_hotmail_dot_com.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can now start a multiplayer game even if you're the only player.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

lol, you're going to love this. The debugger bypasses where the normal D2x-w32.exe crashes.

Basically the debugger works, but the actual app doesn't. Which, since the debugger isn't crashing at all makes it virtually useless in finding out what is crashing the actual application. Situations like these are why I never took up programming. It's maddening enough being on the outside looking in.

Also, is there a reason the debugger doesn't utilize the D2x.ini file? When I run it it always comes up in window mode and it doesn't detect any of the joystick switches used by the ini. Which, to be a true debugger wouldn't it have to use everything the actual application does?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I forgot to mention that d2x-w32-dbg.exe uses an ini file named d2xdebug.ini.

I somehow expected the debug version to work. Btw, it is not a debugger, it is simply a version of the program compiled w/o any code optimizations and some additional output (e.g. to c:\d2x_log.txt).

Next step is to have the release version create that log file. To do that, simply add "-debug" to d2x.ini.

I wonder whether d2x-w32.exe would not crash when specifying "-legacyzbuf" and "-legacyrender" in d2x.ini. Could somebody try that and report the result?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I've sent you a PM with what the log returned back after D2x-w32.exe crashed this time using the "-debug" switch in the .ini file. I also was using the "-legacyzbuf" & "-legacyrender" as you suggested. Still crashed the same way.