D2X-W32: Special debug version (-> Sirius, Tyranny)

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-W32: Special debug version (-> Sirius, Tyranny)

Post by Diedel »

A special debug version of d2x-w32 is available here:

http://www.brockart.de/descent/resource ... 32-dbg.zip

It will produce detailled log output to help me fix the start game crash bug when using a MSVC .NET compiled version of D2X-W32.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Hrm...didn't crash this time...my joystick was going all over the place though and it's properly calibrated. The .ini also has the -joypolled and -sidewinder 1 switches as usual. The gameplay was inconsistent as well, it kept skipping on me. I'm sure this is all a result of some of the problems. Heres the log...

http://missions.dyndns.org/misc/d2x_log_04.txt
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What do you mean with "the game play ... was skipping"?

I don't think those two switches do anything in d2x-w32, btw.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I mean exactly that, when I turn the ship while I'm flying the game "skips" like it dropped some frames. It looks like it "stops" for a split second and then "resumes" action on the screen. This continues to happen while you play. This is the first D2x-w32 version that has done this.

-joypolled should be recognized. It's a switch thats been used with Descent since day one. Both D1 and D2 use it to steady the joystick or else it twitches uncontrollably. -sidewinder 1 is a switch that was introduced in D2x, since you're using the D2x source code it is a command that D2x-w32 should recognize as well.

In this current release my ship starts spinning to the right automatically. It makes the pyro almost impossible to control. This is the first D2x-w32 release where it has done that.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Oh. I used to have that when I was playing D2x on another machine by loading everything over the network. Not sure what caused it.

I'm not reporting any crashes any more; the debug option naturally makes everything stutter madly and cuts the framerate to a third, but without that there is no problem.

I do have the D2x log of my test but it's pretty large (874 K).
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

aha, thats what it was, thx Sirius. The stuttering was caused by the -debug switch. If I take it out the stutter stops. However...my pilots still spin out upon level start. Even when I recalibrate my joystick in windows and create a new pilot as soon as I start a level the player starts turning to the right like mad.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If you don't experience crashes any more, I don't need your log files and you can delete them.

Please use the current regular d2x distribution then; I have managed to link it with SDL 1.2.8.

With the SDL, the joystick handling is completely different from the original D2 versions, so I guess the -joypolled parameter doesn't make sense.

I will see whether I have any problems with my joystick. I had another guy here from Germany playing with joystick today (MS Sidewinder 3D pro) w/o problems besides the stick being very sensitive.

Update:

Fixed bug causing the joystick to be overly sensitive.