D2X-W32: Feedback needed

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I don't think the engine supports it. I know the guys working on the earlier offical Descent32 or whatever it was were attempting the same type of features with a revamping of the texturing and lighting system within the confines of the engine. I'm not exactly sure how far they got or if they're even still out there to contact about it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The engine does not support in-game light calculation.

There is however some code lighting nearby segments of laser beams and plasma charges. I might be able to colorize these.

Btw, I have changed to automap resolution to the game resolution, so no delay when switching to the automap or back.

Same for the menus, they are now displayed with the game resolution. If you encounter any bugs here, please let me and provide a screen shot if possible.

Screenshots are still bogus, though today I could produce something showing a very distorted images of the true picture:

bogus picture:

good picture:

If you look closely, you can recognize some of the steel+rivet textures from the good pictures upper area in the bogus picture.

The colored stripes at the bottom must be from the HUD text messages.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Well, thats a start :P

The last time I tried, all I got was a blank image in photoshop (D2x-w32 build 1.0.5). The only reason I bring up stuff like screenshots and the redbook audio volume slider is because D2x-w32 should have all the functionality that the original D2 had and THEN all the additional improvements. It only serves to make the application more solid first and then have the bells and whistles added to it :P

You've already addressed some of the more important issues such as joystick handling, graphical issues and multiplayer. Needless to say this project is much farther along then any of the other Descent projects. Even much farther then D1x, which I had hoped would be up to the level that D2x-w32 has achieved at this point. Sadly Sekmu could only do so much it seems.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I just can't get these fkn screenshots to work.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

On another note, does the SDL handle mouse input as well? I know most mice have more then just the left/right/mousewheel buttons these days. My logitech MouseMan Wheel has a side button for my thumb and though I play with a joystick, I do play with the mouse sometimes as well. Mostly solo flights and what not.

What I'm getting at is that D2x-w32 doesn't support more then just the standard 3 mouse buttons. It would be really useful if it could be setup to recognize inputs for more then just those three. My current setup makes it awkward for me to slide up and down and fire secondaries because my slide up is the right click button and my fire secondaries is the mousewheel button. However, if it recognized my 4th button I could use that to slide up using my thumb and use the right click for missiles. Then possibly use the mousewheel middle click for countermeasures.

People could define whatever feels more comfortable for them. I know a lot of mousers are pretty picky, and most of them have some of the best mice you can get for gaming (more then just 3 buttons).
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

*bump*
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The SDL only handles regular windows mouse button events, and these are only defined for the right, middle and left button.

Even DX9 only checks for 4 mouse buttons, if I have understood the MSDN documentation right here.

The only way to access additional mouse buttons would be to have the driver or mouse software map these buttons to some key.