D2X-W32 1.1.11: Midi music playback enabled

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-W32 1.1.11: Midi music playback enabled

Post by Diedel »

Enabled midi music playback. Depending on midi device, volume control may however not work.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Thats great! Only problem is if you don't want it on at certain times you can't use the volume slider to turn it all the way down...

Heres the thing though. Since the regular sound FX volume slider works, in theory, shouldn't the midi volume and redbook volume both function in the same way as the sound FX volume slider in the SDL?

Its great having midi back, but both midi and the redbook should have the same functionality as the sound FX. D2x-w32 is getting closer and closer to the total package each and every improvement though. Keep up the good work.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm... there is often a difference. Most sound drivers do have a separate volume control for MIDI playback and wavefile audio playback; and SDL doesn't do any fancy stuff with MIDIs like some games might...
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Right, but wouldn't it all be a matter of specifying it in the SDL?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Midi is an extra sound device, that can support volume control or not.

You can turn midi sound completely on and off with the midi sound control in the sound options dialog.

I will see to have the proper piece played.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

While that may be a solution, not everyone plays D2x-w32 in window mode and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has the game crash while putting it back into fullscreen after alt+enter'ing out of it. That seems kinda unnecessary to have to adjust/turnoff your personal midi volume setting in windows before you play.

Its frustrating that D2x doesn't have the same functionality that D2 did even though the code is right there. D2 should be calling to Windows through the SDL to change the midi volume or the redbook audio volume in the OS when those respective sliders are adjusted in game correct? Guess it sounds simpler then it is...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This is the first time I am hearing about this crash. I don't experience it.

Why would you need to switch to windowed mode? You can press F2 for the options menu and adjust midi sound.

Midi volume adjustment works on my workplace machine with onboard AC97 sound ... ts.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Adjusting the midi volume in the F2 D2x-w32 options doesn't work for me. I have midi emulation with a Yamaha XG Softsynthesizer which is my main midi device and I also can set it to play using my sound card (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz). Neither the hardware (Santa Cruz) or software (Yamaha XG) devices adjust volume levels when the slider is moved.

Either way when the slider is adjusted all it should be doing is effecting the "Wave" and "Synthesizer" volume outputs in windows. If the volume control was effecting just those things through windows it shouldn't matter what device you have.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Tyranny,

on your computer, the midi device chosen by D2X obviously doesn't support volume control, don't ask me why. D2X choses some standard Windows midi device, using calls to a standard midi API, and it might depend on what that is mapped to.

I did not build that code, I just took it from icculus.org.

I tried to scan the list of all available midi device for one allowing vol ctrl, but failed so far.