D1x framecap bug?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D1x framecap bug?

Post by zapp »

I've noticed that in D1x 1.40, 1.43, 1.43mw and 1.43_oglmw my framecap setting has no effect over 50. Of course, 80 is supposed to be the max, but any setting from 50-80 results in 50 FPS. My monitor refresh is 85hz, and v-synch is disabled anyway, so that is not the issue.
I got thinking about this after Diedel fixed the framecap bug in D2x- in my case, any setting between 77-100 resulted in FPS of 76, even though 100 was supposed to be the limit.
I have a Radeon 9800 pro 128, all other openGL stuff I have works fine on it w/ no framecap problem, so I think it is a D1x bug, especially after Diedel found the bug in D2x.
Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Yeah, but the question is do you really need more then 50fps for D1? :P It might be a longshot, I'm not even sure his email is still valid but...

You could try e-mailing Sekmu through his DBB profile and tell him about it. The two big obstacles would be what I already mentioned above, valid email, but also if he'd even be willing to fix it. You might point him to this Old Skool forum and tell him all what Diedel has done with the D2x Project. Maybe he would consider dusting off his D1x code for some minor improvements.

Sekmu's Profile

Good Luck! :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Working USB joystick code would be nice. :/

Edit: 60 fps framecap gives me 58.82.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

well, 50 FPS is OK, but 80 gives you that extra snap to your turns and twist- just feels right. 50 is sluggish. Maybe I'm just spoiled by D2x_w32... but dang it, the readme says 80 FPS, so I want 80 FPS!

I had thought about contacting Sekmu (we go wayyyyy back) but I think he's been idle on IRC for about 5 years now... :wink:

Does anyone else notice the FPS locked at 50, or is it something specific to my set-up?
Lehm
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lehm »

I set mine to 80 and get about 60, might be a vsync thing.

EDIT: yeah it is, I forced my refresh rate to 75 and my fps went to 75 so in order to do 80 fps you need to set your refresh rate to 80.
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: D1x framecap bug?

Post by zapp »

zapp wrote:My monitor refresh is 85hz, and v-synch is disabled anyway, so that is not the issue.

Has no effect, I've set it from 60 to 100 hz...
I guess it is something w/ my set-up.. anyone have the same video card- Radeon 9800 pro 128, Using D1x_oglmw in XP?

Edit: I have the same problem on a different machine, nVidia GF4 4200ti 64, XP, so I guess it is not my graphics card...
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I have a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 and I'm getting the same thing zapp. It's never really been a problem because D1 is an old game and anything around the 50-80fps range is more then adequate.

Besides, the joystick turn rate sensetivity is unique to Diedel's coding of D2x-w32. It wouldn't matter if you had 80fps, you still wouldn't turn any faster. Atleast not to the extent that you can in D2x. A difference of 30fps in modern games is pretty substantial to gameplay presentation. You're not going to get the same benefit in a game like D1 in regards to controls IMO.

You might want to contact Sekmu just for the hell of it. He was working on D1x earlier then 5 years ago anyways. Who knows, if there is enough demand for improvements, which D2x-w32 proves there is, he might dust it off like I said before. Since you and him were friends, it's probably worth a try :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I am having only 30 fps on an Athlon 64 3500+ and GF 5200 with D2X-W32 too, so there's a hardware limitation even for this old game.

Btw, if D2X-W32 turns too fast, I can slow it down ... ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Uhm... well, yes there is a degree of hardware limitation imposed by the OpenGL system - it's not so fast at the lower end.

But 30fps is the figure I got on a computer using six-year-old internal video. If you have a video card, it shouldn't be choppy at all...?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

30 fps is the minimum for acceptably smooth movement.

Btw, w/o frame capping at all, I get between 800 and 1100 fps on my rig at home (Athlon 64 3500+ s939, X800 XT PE). :D

For some reason, steering the ship doesn't work with that speed anymore (has something to do with D2X's game 'ticks' being too short).
zapp
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zapp »

Think I solved this. When I uncheck Nice FPS, the framecap suddenly works! I know this is supposed to be a Linux only thing, but apparently it has some effect in XP as well.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

The main problem with having a framerate anywhere over 50 is trying to dodge the homers.