New D2 Level Notification Thread

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Which D2 version do you use? Glass House and Speed! only work with D2X-W32 v1.4.0 upwards.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

There are updates for both Glass House and Speed! available.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Currently working on finally just ... finishing a level I have lying around. Might not be the only one, either... I do have a few I never really finished for one reason or another.

But the bulk of the work on this one is complete. Some parts are actually more than six years old, but that doesn't worry me too much. However, the fact that I came back to it and added bits more or less in stages means some parts were a bit weird in comparison to others (for instance a solitary flickering light in the whole level)... but I think I have them ironed out.

Going to be throwing a fair bit more of my old, unused material in there as well. Some of which, again, dates back five or six years...

Oh, and yes, it will be single player.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hmmmmmm ... looking forward to seeing this one. :)
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Riot »

Shadow Fury ver 1.0

It's awesome. Nosferatu tested it with me and we love it. At first, I thought it was going to be a fairly small level, but then my old level design skills kicked in and I got creative. So, here is my first OFFICIAL online release ever! (I've made so many levels before, but I lost them all in the Great Crash of 2001.)

Anyway, here you go guys! Maybe this would be a good level for the Revival...

Download Shadow Fury ver 1.0 here.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Cool! Keep the levels coming ... :D

Edit: Pretty huge. Are the two permanently opened doors in the level's center, leading to its underbellies intentionally made like that?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Very good!

I have one suggestion though, to take out the upper tunnel with the exit and reactor, as this will kill four birds with one stone--

1. This tunnel uses the default grey texture for the floor. Although this obviously wasn't in carelessness as the default texture usually pops up as a result of, it really irks me and likely a few others whenever they see it.
2. The exit door isn't locked and can be opened at any time!
3. Most single-level multiplayer missions don't really need reactors or exits, simply because this ultimately just leads to some careless noobie popping the reactor and ending the fun for everyone.
4. For CTF, this path also would (IMO) create too many possible routes between flags.
So, I hope I've provided a convincing case. ;)

Oh, whops, also one more thing-- toggle "dynamic cube light calculation" in DLE so that objects like missiles and player ships will appear darker in darker parts of the level. It improves the overall experience.

Also, as an aside, to help organize and consolidate things, I was thinking that in the future each level designer might want to have his or her own level thread for all of his/her new levels and update it appropriately. It seems less spammy than one thread per level and less cluttery than all levels in one thread. Diedel already seems to have his own thread, and I have a thread I can add to, and others could also pick up suit?

edit: Some typos. :o
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I had created this thread in the hope that every level designer would use it to introduce their new creations. If it would accepted it might even get stickied.

Btw, I agree with your proposition Jeff, and can support all your arguments - I just don't mind the default texture. ;) But I could never understand why ppl put reactors in multiplayer missions, unless they create a level set and want to allow players to proceed to the next level at their own disposal.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I like the reactors in lvls coz when it blows. Everybody heads for the exit. Who ever makes it to the exit first can "try" to pick the others off before they can get out.
Though I do agree that noobs who kill the reactor too soon are a pain. When hosting... thats why you should always set a time limit for reactor. Thats what I always do.
All my lvls for D1 and D2 have them. :P
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Riot »

Diedel wrote:Cool! Keep the levels coming ... :D

Edit: Pretty huge. Are the two permanently opened doors in the level's center, leading to its underbellies intentionally made like that?
Yes, I did it for dramatic effect.
Jeff250 wrote:Very good!
Oh, whops, also one more thing-- toggle "dynamic cube light calculation" in DLE so that objects like missiles and player ships will appear darker in darker parts of the level. It improves the overall experience.
I didn't use DLE, I used the Mission Builder.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Aus,

where can I get your levels pls?
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Riot »

Here are excerpts from the readme from back when it was created (I must have been 15 or 16). (Download Final Conflict here.)
Features:

13 levels + 3 secret levels
Over 15 new robots
Intelligent new map designs
Deep, entrhalling storyline
An addition to a genuine Descent experience

Descent 2: Final Conflict

Whoever has this set-

This is my dream. Descent 2: Final Conflict has existed for about a year and a half now, and is finally getting the attention it deserves! This is GREAT!

There are a few minor bugs that I would like you to work out.. I can't.. tried everything I can.

But, first of all, the ROCFLY robot... he's not in the briefings.. yet (hamm crashed on me!) and so he's the one you'll find in level 1.. he's white and fires smart mine non homing childs. He's a royal pain, so kill it quick!

Problem List

1: Given I updated the Diamond Claw III, it still doesn't like charging all the time.. he's a mentally disturbed robot.

2: The HMP files.. they won't loop properly. If you could fix that, I would appreciate it. (Also make HMQ files.)

3: Robots look funny sometimes; you can see thru them like cull face is activated or something.. hmm.

4: Do you like the PopFC? Heh.. this is personal.. are they too tough to be good, or too good to be true? ;)

5: Check out the briefing.. is it good? I hope the plot is okay.. (PS My bro and I are currently working on Final 2!)

6: Level 12 acts up at times, in the reactor room, when you swoop around to the back of the room and face the center, It'll sometimes kick you out with an error.. I have no idea what causes this. All cubes are fine.

7: If level 13 is strange, help me fix it! (not the exit as seen below)

8: Also in level 13, the exit should not open when you destroy the reactor. Instead, you need to find a special switch... it's nearby.

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for helping me on this. I've looked at all the other cool sets: Entropy, Kryllidine, Omicron, etc. But, now; Final Conflict is ready to be added to the list!

Thanks!

Riot

"When you're in need of an out, find a fusion cannon. If you're really in need of an out, just blow the reactor and leave."
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Riot,

do yourself (and us) a favor and switch to DLE-XP. It's based on DMB2 and supports all DMB2 keyboard shortcuts, plus it has a ton of bug fixes and improvements. Check the diagnosis function - it will help you a lot to track down and eliminate level bugs. I have run your Shadow Fire level through it and immediately found and fixed 4 bugs or so (you can have the fixed level if you like).

Edit: The D2Final zip file seems to be broken.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:Aus,

where can I get your levels pls?
I'm working on uploading them now. But I'm only putting up a couple that I like best.
Though I will make all aviable even though my first couple sucked a**! :lol:
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Riot »

Diedel wrote:Riot,

do yourself (and us) a favor and switch to DLE-XP. It's based on DMB2 and supports all DMB2 keyboard shortcuts, plus it has a ton of bug fixes and improvements. Check the diagnosis function - it will help you a lot to track down and eliminate level bugs. I have run your Shadow Fire level through it and immediately found and fixed 4 bugs or so (you can have the fixed level if you like).

Edit: The D2Final zip file seems to be broken.
I downloaded DLE-XP and have been tinking with it. I'm actually playing through Final Conflict again and sort of laughing at myself. Anyway, yeah what did you fix?

d2final.zip is fixed.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I get an error message when trying to open d2final.zip telling me it is no valid zip file.

Re Shadow Fire:
  • You had three players with id 0.
  • The exit wasn't linked to the reactor.
  • The exit wasn't locked.
  • The reactor cube was a robot maker.
That's all I remember right now.
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Riot »

Diedel wrote:I get an error message when trying to open d2final.zip telling me it is no valid zip file.

Re Shadow Fire:
  • You had three players with id 0.
  • The exit wasn't linked to the reactor.
  • The exit wasn't locked.
  • The reactor cube was a robot maker.
That's all I remember right now.
Uh, ok
Oops
The exit I understand
?? DMB > DLE-XP?

I'll take a look in DLE-XP. Thanks for the notice.

And Final works now. I totally just ran through it level jumping. I'm going to rerelease it. If anyone wants to help me, PLEASE that would be great!

Also I noticed that the level 13 boss is NOT the correct boss robot :cry: that makes me sad.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I would help you if I could open that zip file ... could you post it with a different name? It seems to be stuck on our companie's proxy, and even if you fixed it, the proxy will always give me the bogus file.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Ok guys. Here they are. (Just a few)
Keep in mind that most of the missions/ levels are ment to have 4 to 8 players. Plus I made most of them back in 1998-99.
Each ZIP file has a readme.txt telling you info about the lvls.
So go easy on me. I was much younger back then! :lol:
Download 46-N-22
Download SlipNot!!
Download TECHWAR
Download Unlimited v1.0 MP
Download Unlimited v2.1 SP & MP
Download TBONE

Oh, and I know,.... I know. Before you start in on me. Some or most of these have to many hallways or the rooms are bit big. But with 8 players and 2 e-shakers. You can never have to many!
Enjoy! :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Nice presentation! And from the screenies these levels do not look like noob stuff - too big or not too big. ;)

Edit: Custom textures & reticles - nice.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:Nice presentation! And from the screenies these levels do not look like noob stuff - too big or not too big. ;)

Edit: Custom textures & reticles - nice.
And cockpit. Plus more! :wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oops - I didn't even think about enabling a cockpit view. I usually don't play with cockpit view. I will check that out. I played Unlimited 2.1 single player and really liked it, btw. :)
Riot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Riot »

Ugh, I tried DLE-XP and some of the controls for moving around are different/missing. Can I design in DMB and then do all my lighting and stuff in DLE-XP?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Which controls are missing?

You can do whatever you want. You can drive a 30 year old Volkswagen, even if you could have a brand new Model 7 BMW - if you don't like its control system.

If have looked at my DLE-XP pages and still think DMB2 should be your level editor of choice, stick with it.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Riot wrote:Ugh, I tried DLE-XP and some of the controls for moving around are different/missing. Can I design in DMB and then do all my lighting and stuff in DLE-XP?
Yeah.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Riot wrote:Ugh, I tried DLE-XP and some of the controls for moving around are different/missing. Can I design in DMB and then do all my lighting and stuff in DLE-XP?
Yeah, that's what I do: Design in DMB2, add D2X-W32 stuff in DLE-XP. OK so I'm biased, but I just can't STAND DLE-XP's layout.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Jeff250 wrote:Very good!

<snip>

4. For CTF, this path also would (IMO) create too many possible routes between flags.
So, I hope I've provided a convincing case. ;)

<snip>
I agree with everything you said except for this one. Of course this is just my opinion just like the above is your opinion, but I think that there SHOULD be at least 3 paths, and maybe 4. More than that would be a bit too much. Levels with 1 or 2 paths to the flag annoy me to no end because you just plant a few players there and missle boat them to death, winding up having a very low scoring game. With 3 or 4 there is at least a chance you can score.

Through our chats I actually suggested he put that extra little path that goes over the top.

BTW I love his level in general. It plays well as an anarchy as well as a CTF. It is huge.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

My approach was just to spend some time getting used to DLE-XP and then just enjoy doing things much faster. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D3Hack wrote:
Yeah, that's what I do: Design in DMB2, add D2X-W32 stuff in DLE-XP. OK so I'm biased, but I just can't STAND DLE-XP's layout.
DLE-XP at least has a layout (two, to be precise). DMB2 is a mess with a lot of bugs. You're entitled to have it the hard way though, if you want to. ;) I find it pretty awkward though to rather accept all the flaws of DMB2 than learning the new features of DLE-XP and enjoy a much more convenient program.

Nos,

I find the level too huge. Flying in it feels like slo-mo. If you have 3 or more paths to a flag room, how do you ever want to guard it, if there can be no more than 4 players on a team? Imo there can be a lot of routes to a flag room, but there should be no more than two choke points - as far as D2 is concerned.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Well here is my second set of lvls.
All these are from 1998-99 as well. Keep in mind that all my lvls are ment to have 4 to 8 players.
Once again. Each ZIP files has a readme.txt telling you info about the lvl.
Download Aenima1
Download Green Hell
Download ThunderStruck
Download V3

Enjoy guys. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I do like what I'm seeing here... old or not, they would make excellent FFA levels.

Unfortunately there seem to be only so many chances to play these, even though all of them are quite good...
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Sirius wrote:I do like what I'm seeing here... old or not, they would make excellent FFA levels.

Unfortunately there seem to be only so many chances to play these, even though all of them are quite good...
Yes, but all my lvls are made for Hoard, CTF, and Anarchy. However Unlimited v2.1 you can play robot anarchy. To bad D2x-w32 wasn't around at the time! :(
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Currently trying to get a final custom polymodel working for the aforementioned single-player level, but the gunpoints are being rather annoying (for some reason Krags' jtool, while rather useful, didn't seem to put them in the right place, and now I'm stuck trying to work out what values need alterations...)

Hopefully I can get that sorted today. Otherwise it'll have to wait for a week.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Cool, found the problem... just a matter of altering submodel offsets. And it was apparently caused because JTool doesn't think about submodel dependencies, as far as I can tell...

Still. A little mathematics and some persistence go a fair way. :)

I think that's about all the content I need... I have about 10-15 robots now, which is more than enough for one level.
sammy

Post by sammy »

are we allowed to post 1-player (+help-player) missions here . . ?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sure - this thread is meant for announcement of new D1 and D2 levels of all types. :)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Don't we have a forum for this? Makes it much easier to follow comments about particular levels.
sammy

Post by sammy »

o.k. . i have a descent2 level for 1-player, but no place on the internett to put it for sharing. (the level - 3192''vertices'' . 900 cubes . 254 walls . 225 objects. .big.) if anyone wants to play this level, tell me?-> maybe i can kibbe some space from someone i know . .
TheGriffin
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by TheGriffin »

I have a quick question. I tried taking snapshots of a few missions in dle-xp using alt-printscreen to give myself a visual reference of which are which, but the window frame gets pasted into the image as well. How are you getting these images without the window borders?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

DCrazy wrote:Don't we have a forum for this? Makes it much easier to follow comments about particular levels.
There's a lot of grey area in which forums to post D1/2 related material. We make a lot of posts about multiplayer in here, but we don't post them in the multiplayer forum-- we post them here. Likewise for descent development, and, historically, level releases. I just don't think that the D1/2 community would survive being stretched over too many forums, and, well, that's why we have this one.

I agree about the messiness of a "level thread" though. I've already above suggested that at least each author should create their own thread. I'm going to follow that advice at least. :)