How old is everyone and how long have you played Descent

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.

When did you start?

Descent 1
83%
Descent 2
11%
Descent 3
6%

Total votes: 209
catch22
DBB LAN Nut
DBB LAN Nut

Post by catch22 »

First played the demo in 95' (putting me at 15 years old) Didn't really think much of it at first. In fact a friend of mine showed it to me and I kind of blew it off. Eventually I got to a point where I didn't have anything else to play so I installed it and gave it a shot.

Rest is history.
Catch-22

<FONT> Frankly, I think the whole society is nuts...The question is: What does a sane person do in an insane society? -Joseph Heller</FONT>
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

For the hell of it...

I am 13 and have been playing since Descent 3 came out in 1999.... that is seven years ago, so I was six.
bobo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by bobo »

Started playing in '95 with Descent shareware, eventually bought the full thing. Logged some major hours on my AMD K5-100, running Descent 2 over KaliDOS. Never did much with Descent3. I'm 25 now.
Bama
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Bama »

Hell, might as well have my trip back down memory lane.
I came across D1 in Wal Mart sometime in early 1995 and played single player on a 386 SX20, ya it was Frame-city, but got through most of it. I kind of quit until I bought one of the first P1-60's and finished it then. By that time D2 was out and shortly after buying it I found Kali and Kali St. Louis. Joined the Wildcards that late Fall and played D1 & D2 with them and others including Cases Ladder.

In June of 1998 I purchased and hosted Descent3 net for a friend who wanted to do a News site for the year away Descent3. He left D3 net a few months later to do Planetdescent.com so I took it over and ran it for about two and a half years.

I was one of the older ones who moved to D3 with no problems at all and loved it, however I missed my Shakers. I had become a D2 Shakerhead, and a damn goodone. I only knew of 4 other Guys that could beat me , and not everytime. I missed the Shakers, and when Shaker Maps came to D3 I soon mastered the D3 Shakers. Even had a shaker level made, a remake of Gigadeath and named \"Bama's Revenge\". Only found one player who could come close staying with me, and I trained him. In fact, tooting my own horn I used to play using the Tank and would still beat all the skippies. Loved dodging them big blue & white bomblets.

I don't know why I stopped playing, but on the way back from a ZappaFan \"SunCoast\" Lan in Tampa I just knew I was done, and I was.

I tryed playing about a year ago, but the old mussle memory was gone and I kept running into walls and stuff. Oh, well lifes a Bit*h huh.

Here are some of my old memories: http://www.shakers.bama.net/earthshaker.htm
Badboy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Badboy »

Started playing D1 when I was about 5 im 16 now and playing D3 :) ive seen them all. Rock on Descent!
Thank You
- [NuB2]Badboy, Team NuB - Member

http://www.nfz.v8web.com/
XThermonucleusX
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by XThermonucleusX »

I'm 21 now; when I first got my hands on the D1 OEM, about 10 years on and off.
StormGTX1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by StormGTX1 »

I'm 22, almost 23 years old. My first experience with Descent was with the demo when it came out. I didn't get very far at first, but I picked up the registered version of D1 about a year later. I received the D2 demo later, tore it up, and finally managed to pick up the full D2 around 6 months later. I didn't get D3 until I had a computer fast enough to run it which was in 2002. While I had D2, I also had Descent Mission Builder 2 (DMB2) and I used that to see what kind of missions I could create. I wasn't very good at level design, but I came up with some really tough modified robots.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Descent was almost my first gaming experience. The demo for D1 came with my family's first computer, an Acer with a mighty Pentium processor! This was in '95, I think. I had barely any game experience before then- I probably played a Super NES at a friend's house before, but Descent would set off a long obsession with video games.

My Dad was actually the first to play it. I soon caught up to him, and became much better than him at D1. I never even almost got disoriented or sick from Descent, unlike many people. The rest of my family never came close to me at Descent. Keep in mind, I was only seven when I first started playing. It was tough beating that Level 7 Boss when I had no joystick with a hat switch! I think that I only used the keyboard back then, and didn't know what sliding was.

Anyway, I eventually got the Anniversary Edition that had Levels Of The World and some other missions included. A year or so later, I became obsessed with D2 after getting a three-level demo at Best Buy or something. I had to wait forever for D2, not getting it until Christmas '96, I think. I originally had The Infinite Abyss, but after all of my Descent CDs got scratched beyond repair, I bought the Definitive Collection.

Between the time of D2 and D3, I had a blast with many amazing missions downloaded from the mighty internet. I liked Solrazor's campaigns even more than the D2 singleplayer, actually! I never played Descent online until the D3 demo and PXO came out.

I got D3 in June '99, from ordering it online (I still have the D3 hat!). I played it a lot over the next three or four years, and for some reason (mostly computer issues), hadn't played it much. Last year I played through all of D1 again, and I've started playing D3 online again.

Descent 1 is easily my favorite game of all time. It's absolutely perfect. The fact that the story was pretty barebones and you did the same thing on almost every level didn't bother me much. It was incredibly challenging, had great level design, great music, and an excellent atmosphere, something that many games are sadly missing. The sound of the Class One Driller's Vulcan cannon or the Miniboss's \"AH-EE-AH-EE ZEE OH GEE\" (or whatever sound he makes) could certainly inspire fear. Or the horrid ticking sound made by the Level 7 Boss...

When I first started playing at age seven, I didn't expect that I would still be playing it at eighteen. Descent is and always will be my favorite game.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I'm now 21, I'm still playin' Descent series for 10 years. I really love them. DI is my first favorite video game. I don't remember teenage boy name, he gave DI to me for stupid Mac computer. I didn't know about DII. Today, he is addicted to drugs. Before I had an old PC named eTown. My favorite teacher, Gary Meyers. He gave Descent I and II The Definitive Collection. I ordered D3 on eBay. 2004, I granted High School, before leave I thanked and missed them. And D3: Merc on eBay. I have a new PC named Compaq, 2005 Dec, 3.

My most favorite weapons:
Quad Lasers, Concussion Missile, Homing Missiles for any Descent series.

Gauss Cannon, Flash Missiles, and Mercury Missiles for DII

Mass Driver, Frag Missiles for D3

My most favorite ships:
Pyro-GX, Pyro-GL, and Dark Pyro-GX

So, I have DI and D Maximum for PlayStation from my friend, Stephen for my Brithday.
And I have Freespace I and II for PC too! 8)

Sorry, I know u don't understand what I say. I'm a bad English writer :( , but I'm a great video games player. :twisted:
MD1985
Dynamite
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dynamite »

Well, I'm 14 now, and I've been playing Descent since about 3 or 4. :o

It's been sort of an on-and-off phase, really. Descent was the first game I played and understood, and I still play it today! :D

Too bad I never slid once... :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Jonathan,

your post was well understandable. :)
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

I'm 24. I've been playing since my 13th birthday, I think. Or maybe my 14th. It's been a long time, I don't remember. My dad had bought me D1 for my birthday. I didn't know what it was, and was disappointed because I'd asked for a C compiler.

I was lucky.

The Descent community in the D2 glory days is a sight I'm sure I'll never see again. IDL, DBB, Kali #682, four D1 games going at 4 AM on Kali, Koolbear's, Weenie Tactics, Pyropimps, six versions of Minerva, and clans and clans and clans...

Good times. I'm glad I grew up when I did. The gaming world was a different place in the 90's - the spirit of constant striving for excellence and skill is something I haven't really seen elsewhere or since. And even in the gaming world, the Descent community was a very special place. Still is. I'm lucky to have been a minor part of it.

As for the games, I've always loved D1. I played D2, even liked it, but it was always distant second. I gave D3 a bit of a chance, played through the solo campaign, played it at a couple LANs... but I just couldn't ever get to like it.

The D1 world is a ghost town, now. You can get a game. Maybe. If you know somebody. The community of excellence is gone, though, and the games are all nostalgia. Sure, the community has left behind a bit of a legacy, but it's dead to me. That's really nothing new, though. Nothing good lasts forever.

The same spirit of excellence that infused the games fueled our debates, and I've learned a lot about how to think and how to write through hard knocks. I've learned what it is to apply disciplined, passionate pursuit to the mastery of a difficult art for nothing but the love of it. Growing up as a girl in a guy's gaming world, I've learned to command respect by never accepting it when it's given away cheap. I've learned about playing tough through defeat, I've learned to take the chances I have since nothing lasts forever, I've learned about the value to be had in crushing defeat, and I've learned that there is always someone better than me.

Those are valuable lessons. I say it was a good run. And life goes on.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Dynamite,

Descent 4 closed, sorry. >_< I don't understand why... :?
MD1985
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Jonathan Paskiewicz wrote:Dynamite,

Descent 4 closed, sorry. >_< I don't understand why... :?
lol :lol:

no, no, no... Dynamite said he has been playing Descent since he was 3 or 4 years old. ;)
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Whoops! Stupid me! X_x Ok, I'm playin' WWII FPS for 4 years. Pokemon RPG series for 5 years.
MD1985
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

What does that have to do with the topic?
Chaos Death Saurer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Chaos Death Saurer »

I think the Descent demo was one of the first games I ever played on the computer.
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

When I was 9 years old in 3rd grade, Hunter took Descent 1 to my house. We installed it and had a grand time. Back in aught 3 I got Descent 3 from amazon.com. Now I'm 15 years old. Since I go to the same high school as Hunter, I got to thank him for introducing me to Descent in the first place. :D

By the way, someone please remind me to change this blasted avatar. I didn't start playing Descent 3 just so that I could advertise Orion II. (:P at myself for that one) :)
Ziqidel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ziqidel »

In the year 2000, when I was 10, I got an old Packard Bell computer from 1995, with all the CDs and stuff. Among those CDs was one by Interplay, and it contained the registered version of Descent 1. Before I discovered D1, I had only really played one other game: Commander Keen 4. At first, my brother and sister liked D1 as much as I did, but before sliding was discovered, they could only get up to the end of level 5 where we would get shot by Medium Hulks. We hadn't thought of using the invulnerability that was nearby. All that was on Trainee skill though. Once, I used the invulnerability right and did level 5. Level 6 seemed even more of a challenge because of the drillers and super hulks, but I managed that. However, Level 7 seemed wierd at the end. When I stuck my ship out into the open, I caught a glimpse of a massive gold robot and died straight away.

I thought there was only seven levels, but once I discovered cheats for D1 and used \"farmerjoe\" to see if there was such thing as level 8. And the levels kept coming, all the way to 27. I decided to see what was in Level 27, by doing using \"racerx\", and played it. When I got to the end, and had destroyed the Giga Hulk, I felt mild shell shock. That feeling was a great experience. I could tell Descent was the best game ever, because all other games either give you a feeling of sadness that it's over, or happiness that you beat the annoying bit. None except D1 could give you shell shock instead. Over the years, I played D1 in all skill levels, gaining most of my experience for the gameplay. I also got the \"D1Lost\" mission for Descent 1, which was really good, like a sequel.

I only heard of D2 in 2001, and tried to get it on the internet for 2 years, finally getting the demo. When I tried that, it seemed a LOT better than D1. I was pushed enough to buy D2 in August 2004, and my other brother got D3 a month after because he became interested in the series, and I got Mercenary (with my own copy of D3) in early 2005.

I heard of Vertigo and wanted that too. I got DEVIL and made a few really good bits of levels, but only managed to completely make one in 2004 before they all got deleted.

I still wanted Vertigo though, and in August 2005 I got what looked like the very last Definitive Collection available in the world, on Amazon. With a new computer and the maximum patches for all the games (including D3 v1.5, D2X-XL and D1X Rebirth), the Descent series is still just as good as ever. And now I'm 17.
aaronb
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aaronb »

35, D1 demo
Wurby
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Wurby »

haha im probibly going to suprise all of you im 13 and played it since i was 5! the best game ever, Thanks for the fun Descent creators!! I started with the descent 1 and 2 the definitive collection!!
Life is tough, Its tougher if your stupid
[RIP]Deicide
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [RIP]Deicide »

AGE 30 now, I started w/ D1 or D2 singleplayer when I was around 18. Multiplayer when I was about 21.
.eK.Warlord
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by .eK.Warlord »

I started with d1 in 95-96,and have been playing on and off everysince,i Know most of you here,but i do see alot i dont.Just know i STILL play alot,Im on kali all the time.So if any of you old skoolers want some,now you know where to find me.
Warlord
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

38 now, got in touch with d1 shareware when i bought my first PC, a Intel 286, 16Mhz with 4?Mb ram. bought the full thing and later d2 of course. was really hooked with that robot hunting, but never got in touch with multiplayer. playing via modem was just way to expensive back in that days. then i forgot about descent for a long long time, but found a d3 copy in a warehouse bargain around 2000~2001. i was hooked again and played the d3 campaign probably 3 or 4 times, and then was curious how multiplayer would be. so i stumbled around on the web and finally found pxo, man my first trys in d3 multi, on dialup and with my rock-hard gamepad was so fun :)

good times was that, tons of servers and allways big games going somewhere. you could join a server and it was full within 3 minutes. well, then i joined NuB, made some levels and stuff for d3, became serverop and forumop even and had just some great time in the descent community :D

descent? best game ever!
AndyX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by AndyX »

Wurby wrote:haha im probibly going to suprise all of you im 13 and played it since i was 5! the best game ever, Thanks for the fun Descent creators!! I started with the descent 1 and 2 the definitive collection!!
you don´t surprise me :wink:

I´ve been playing Descent since i was 5, too. Now i´m 14.

:P
Star Man Aevum
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Star Man Aevum »

The demo version that was included on my IBM Aptiva PC. It's bundled with the Cyberia disc that's currently in the drawer next to me. My family got that computer in December, 1995, making me eight-years-old at the time.

I definitely did look to see what this game as that I used to pronounce as \"decent,\" but never was able to figure out how to move forward. I can't remember if I was able to figure out how to look at the configure control menu, but if I did, I didn't know what the word accelerate meant. I think after a month or so, persistent to see what this game was, I eventually figured out how to move forward and backward and got to it. Just took mashing the keys down until I figured out what keys and buttons did what. I was well aware of this commercial version and had seen it in stores before, but my folks would never give into my constant nagging about it. I never got to see things past LV. 7 until playing the Playstation version of the game.

I did get Descent II for Christmas in 1996, along with Deadly Tide and the PC version of Rockman X. Took me a long enough time to figure out through trial and error how to have the sound effects turned on. I had never even heard the opening video's dialog until renting Descent Maximum in...1998?

I was introduced to Descent 3 at the local Internet cafe, but never did mess with it much. It also provided my first experiences playing Descent in a multiplayer setting. Now that I have access to Kali (well, when I'm on my own network at home and not on this university network), I've had opportunity to continue a very minimal multiplayer career. StarCraft and Diablo II just get in my way too much =/

So yeah. I began when I was eight and am currently 20. Descent is the first DOS game I've ever had a chance to play, along with Cyberia. Amazing how it's also the only FPS I can play well >_>
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Hey, i've also seen Descent for the first time on a Cyberia bundled CD with an IBM Aptiva L-10! :D

But i think i've already said that before on this topic :P
IsAB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by IsAB »

I'm 30 now, first played D1 singleplayer around the time it came out, i completely missed D2 and got my hands on a copy of D3 (and my first online experience) around 1999-2000.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by grizz »

Started D3 around 2002, started online about 6 months ago. :roll: 49 years old. Second childhood? Still the first one maybe?
Redboy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Redboy »

38 now. Start with D1 Demo. Funny story I went to local computer shop with games on display all only FLOPPY 1.44 no CD yet and at this time I'm huge DOOM fan already and staff told me that new Descent Demo FLOPPY 1.44 is DOOM in flight. I was confuse and decide to buy D1 demo for $10.00 yeah rip off LOL and hooked to this day.

I have all Descent games. I was retired some years ago but now I'm back. I mostly play as singleplay and LAN COOP with my friend :)

I really never bored with DESCENT ! Can repeat play Descent over again and again it fantastic games.
goznik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Im 25 years old now.

Post by goznik »

I've been playing since the Descent Demo in 94 or 95.

Havent played for ages though.

Maybe its time to buy Doom3 and try that Into Cerberon.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Nice thread: interesting read, so here's my story...

I had been playing Doom1, Wolf3d, and Witchhaven for a while and a friend came over with Descent 1.0... Well that was the end of any other game for me! He and I played over phone lines, I had built a new 386, but I never knew about kali or anything like that. I did run a null modem cable to another apartment to play with the guy next door. The three of us logged some serious hours, like all our free time except for going four wheeling now and then. We did not do much but go to work and play Descent.

Then I sold all my computer stuff and started my home improvement biz. I became focused on that till I broke my leg, in uhm, 2005. Then I found the Descent disk I still had it! So I googled 'Descent', man was I in for a surprise... but I'm disappointed I missed out on the golden age of Descent.

Well, I am 46 now, no longer self employed... I got D3 in 2005, while I was laid up with a broken leg. Just ordered D2, should be here in a few days to a week.

My kids: X-ray, age 7, and Dr.Wakeman, age 9, started playing in 2005. They play D1 and D3.
splintr
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by splintr »

Started playing soon after Win95 hit, and the first gen 3D vid cards came out. Used a 33.6 modem to play multiplayer. I'm currently..... 41 y.o. ( :( ), though I don't feel or look it.

viewtopic.php?t=12307
lithium
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by lithium »

31 now, started playing D1 demo back in highschool. Then migrated to kali dos for the full experiance :-) Dont remember the exact dates? late 94 early 95?
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Okay My turn.

36 - Started Playing D1 on the Mac - The full commercial version came bundled with the system - along with those stupid shutter 3D glasses that never kept up with the frame rate for some reason. Still play D1 occasionally but usually play D3 Net games via Vortex.

My oldest kids is getting into D3 pretty heavily - anyone else in that boat? :D
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I first played Descent when the seven-level demo came with my parents' first computer, an Acer w/Pentium! :o

I was born in 1988, so I think I must've been seven or eight at the time (it was in 1995.) I quickly became addicted to Descent. Unlike most of you guys, I never even played online before the D3 demo came out.

I think I may be the youngest old-time Descenter ever.
Randor244
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Randor244 »

I was about 9 years when I first played Descent 1. Remember the old computer standing in my grandmothers house. It was a terrible old computer and she never used it, but I traveled to her almost every day; Descent was pre-installed. I can still remember the endless conversations with my brother about which robot was the coolest and so on...

I get stuck then.

Now, many years later, when my grandmothers computer in the trash for a long time ago, I finally found Descent again. I almost, no I GOT tears in my eyes...

What! Is that... DESCENT? DESCENT!
GUIDEBOT RULES!
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Descent 1 on my 17th birthday, May of '95. Read my full story here: viewtopic.php?t=12336
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I played the D1 demo but it sucked on my 486/66, so I left it behind, then I got a Pentium around the D3 demo time, I became obsessed.
I am 49 now.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

I'm 18 now, and started at 5 on the D1 shareware. Wow... for 72% of my life I've played Descent.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent