Oldschool Pilot Coming Back to D3

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Oldschool Pilot Coming Back to D3

Post by Kiran »

A long time ago, I played D3. 8) Then I lost interest in the game. After a format or two, I forgot about D3 and how fun it is. So early this year I decided to reinstall the game.

After several frustrating attempts to get D3 installed in my (old) gaming machine for a few months, I gave up on it. :x I would install D3 in my new computer, the XP one, but there's no port for the controller that I can never give up using, the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. I knew there is a USB port for the joystick but I never bothered (and never really had the time) to look around for it.
Tonight I went ahead and installed D3 in the XP machine, created a pilot, and tried playing the game with only a mouse and keyboard.

Honestly, that was h311. :evil: I have attempted to play without a joystick several times before and I never succeeded.
Now I'm going to look for one, soon as I could. :P
My pilot name is "kiran" and I'll be looking forward to playing D3 again and shooting y'all in the game!:P :lol:
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Always good to have another player. I just got a random craving after going 2 years cold turkey without so much as a pang of withdrawl a few months ago... and now I'm back in full.

I prefer Micro Sidewinder Prec. 2, but the hats always break, and I think they have ceased production. Once this one breaks I have no idea what I'm going to do.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Welcome back! :D

About your controller troubles: the answer may be simpler than going out and buying a new stick. Take a look at this thread. Grendel's been working on a 3DPro-to-USB converter for a while now, and he's going to sell them once he's finished. I don't have a gameport on my machine, either, and while my Saitek Cyborg Evo is a great stick, you just can't beat the 3DPro for playing Descent. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Dunno about you, but my Evo drives me insane in Descent. The hat doesn't seem to be truly omnidirectional - there are angles you can push it at and get no response whatsoever.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Logitech Emtreme 3d Pro or the Wingmane Extreme.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't usually have too much trouble with the hat. Once in a while, I'll be holding it down and it'll stop registering for a split-second, but other than that it's held up pretty well. The only real complaint I have with the Evo is that the palmrest doesn't have a setting high enough for me to play comfortably; maybe I just have small hands, but I always feel like I'm over-stretching my thumb to hit the hat and upper buttons.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Top Gun wrote:Welcome back! :D

About your controller troubles: the answer may be simpler than going out and buying a new stick. Take a look at this thread. Grendel's been working on a 3DPro-to-USB converter for a while now, and he's going to sell them once he's finished. I don't have a gameport on my machine, either, and while my Saitek Cyborg Evo is a great stick, you just can't beat the 3DPro for playing Descent. :)
Thanks TG. I appreciate your help. I'll look into that thread. :D
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Hate to crap on your thread kir but...this is the Descent Old Skool forum. D1 and D2 related topics etc...
Vampyre_Six
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Vampyre_Six »

Im surpsied this still sits in the old school thread myself :o
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

I agree move it.
Kiran old school ?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Eh, she's old-school enough...
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

it's borderline but whatever.. i'll leave it.
PUFFER1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by PUFFER1 »

i bought the audigy 2 zs plat and my 3dpro works perfect on it using the gameport on the sound card
had that prob usuing my sblive on xp but once i got audigy works fine