Custom Robots-Worth the time?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.

Do you use custom robots often in your singleplayer levels

Yes they are great, they are all over
32%
Yes but sparingly, they take too much time or i have no ideas
21%
No, I cannot make them work, not even a HXM version
No votes
No, the dev team made every possible good option
5%
I dont make singleplayer levels!
42%

Total votes: 19
Vampyre_Six
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Custom Robots-Worth the time?

Post by Vampyre_Six »

What are some of the crazy abominations that others have created for their levels over the years? i have only done 2 modified robots really, but i ahve never actually completed and released a full level and even though there have not been many i feel that adding even one custom robot to a mission is well worth the time even if its the same polymodel as the originals

Anyhow my personal opinion is that they are fun, especially when you make one capable of killing you in one volley and then find that out while testing your level like i just did 8)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Personnally, some of the custom robots are pretty cool... but I'd say 75% of them are just not worth the time.

Small Print Disclaimer: This comment brought to you by someone who's too lazy to even try to make a custom robot.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Agreed. I've made custom polymodels for D2, but none of them robots, namely because I've seen how other attempts simply don't stack up to the originals. Seeing this, I figure I can't do any better.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You can. You just have to have the tools and skill.

I like custom robots, as in really like them - when done well. The problem is, yes, they do take quite some time to construct, balance and implement. Well worth it when it's done though.

Usually when I have any custom robots the entire line-up is custom - although I made an exception with only custom bosses in Apocalyptic Factor.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I really like to make custom polymodels. I can make really intresting robots
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If you want to see some great custom poly models, take a look at Kruel's sp mission Konflict At Karon. Kyouryou also has some nice ones (a cool boss e.g.) in Project Mandrill (find both on my D2 site).

I have built a new player ship once, but that was it. I would build custom bot models and make sure they were worth it, but I never had enough time for that.
arieligena
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by arieligena »

"Kruel's sp mission Konflict At Karon"

Diedel, I cannot find the link in your site :(
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Diedel's site: http://www.descent2.de/ :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

arie,

level spotlight, Kruel in the side menu.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I made a pretty decent robot known as the Ocelot.
Here's a collage of Ocelot robots:
Note: this robot has no relations to Ocelot from the Metal Gear Solid games. ;) and I should of make it right handed instead of left
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Diedel wrote:Kyouryou also has some nice ones (a cool boss e.g.) in Project Mandrill (find both on my D2 site).
Actually, if I remember correctly, the bosses in Mandrill were Garry Knudson's work. Both the twin electrical bosses in the Tower Colony and the minotaur-like final boss in the Mandrill. So props to Garry, wherever you are! :D

If I were to do another campaign, I think I'd make one or two custom bosses, but I wouldn't replace the standard robot set. The existing robots are all very good at what they do.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I did something similar to that in AF, too...

Garry was an incredible force in the Descent polymodel field... he pretty much did half the work just by himself. :) All people like HH, Steve Klinger and Luke Schneider had to do was to make something to get those models in the game, just about...
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

maybe not place for this. let me know where would be better.

? about importing a *.hxm file into hog file.
what if you already have custom robots defined then want to import a *.hxm file for a replacement robot.as i understand it the *.hxm has to be same name as hog. so can't have 2 hxm's in hog. how to merge to keep customizations and include new replacement? i hope that was clear. am working on a camera robot and a turret robot but no one will want to trash their customizations to add them.?? what to do??
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

jakee, I don't understand what you're saying, but I do know this: the HXM file shouldn't match the name of the hog file, it should match the name of each level.

Custom Robots are TEH RAWK! :D
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

oopsy, yeah the *.rl2 file is what i meant.

i'm asking "how to add custom robots when a custom robot file *.hxm already is present in the *.rl2 for the level?" is that clearer?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

i like robots that aren't so much robots ... umm but ships, like in multiplayer... yeah... thats it, make some multiplayer maps and host them on your server. ;)
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

well i've been side tracked by wanting a special robot. as soon as i get my network setup correctly, i'll be doing just that. it's thnxgiving so it'll be next wk. meanwhile i need some info on the *.hxm files.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

jakee - there is no easy way to do this; the best method I know of is by opening the robots of one in rbotedit and saving them into the other.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

what i'm concerned about is if SOMEONE ELSE wants to use my robot.

btw what i have constructed is actually a turret that can act as a stationary camera object(diedel has implemented robots as camera triggers) or as an armed security turret.
i have already made a test model and it works (just looks fugly right now) but i'm concerned if anyone wants to use it, how can they merge MY *.hxm with THEIR *.hxm (if they have one). maybe no one would want one. in that case i'm wasting my time.

since the tools available date from 1998 and were not completely documented i will be doing a lot of experimentation. it IS possible to use a type of *.ham file that ADDS the robot but there is NO documentation about how to use these tools to make one. Plus only people that have the vertigo series with the latest patches will be able to use it.

i'll be pleased if anyone can aim me to where i can find out what to do about custom robots. :)
i have looked at descent2.com and planetdescent and other descent sites but there's not much info. guess i'll be the one to become expert on it unless someone already has the know-how.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Using the method I stated that can be done. RBotEdit loads everything - model data, robot info, custom bitmaps, robot joints, the lot.

Yeah, the documentation available isn't particularly good. How to deal with V-HAMs wasn't even the worst of it - polymodel design itself is only very vaguely documented.

Edit - if there's a request I can write what I know about the field you're looking for, but I can't promise it'll be particularly complete (I personally haven't dealt with V-HAMs much due to compatibility with other versions of Descent 2). I'm not sure what exact information you need at the moment though.

Seems that section of my site I had planned in about 2000 might find some use after all. Once I get the stable host working, at least...
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

the main concern i have for now is if i publish a *.ham/*.hxm containing replacement robots, how could anyone use them if they have already customized some robots and have an existing *.ham/*.hxm within their *.rl2?
How can the files be merged without anyone losing their current changes?

i think some may like a stationary robot to use as a camera trigger rather than a robot that may move. ?

plus there's also the possibility i may have a level in development and then want to include a new robot but i already have customized some robots in the level.
i have rbotedit but didn't work with it. i used haxmedit32. it isn't difficult to use but most people probably wouldn't want to mess with it. using it or rbotedit would solve the merging problem sort of.
maybe a tutorial on how to extract and reimport robots to a *.ham or *.hxm might be in order.

due to diedel's d2x-xl work i believe d2 can make a comeback. I am working with that in mind.
if you need proof reading or editing or testing. let me know.
i discovered a setting that stops a robot from firing at you. which even the diamond claw will do if you turn off "charges" as a behaviour. (it's a very weak laser almost like a flare but he still fires it off. weird to see it).

i've decided that i have to examine existing robots to find out how the firing points are set and how to set moving joints so it's gonna take a while to build the final model without any outside help.

any suggestions/ideas/hints for what to look at will be appreciated and will be rewarded with new bots!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That's none of a problem. The file will simply be put in the D2 folder (or maybe some dedicated 'extra data' or so folder), much like Novacron's hires textures, and if they're there, D2X-XL will load them on top of any custom robots a user made mission supplies.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I suspect if you turn fire wait down to zero the robot will not fire at all, even without 'Charges' set. (This is mainly from my experience with the guide-bot; set fire wait to a non-zero number and he will shoot you.)

HAXMEdit32 will allow you to do the same stuff, and is the best tool to use for backing up individual mechs and so on. The reason I'd rather use RBotEdit is because figuring out what joints to export and re-use manually is quite a pain, and doubly so if you get a collision with another robot (i.e. both use the same joint space).

Currently there is not much you can do about the problem you stated except to save the robot you are providing as a different one in the new HXM - and depending how you did the model, that may of course not be an option.