Descent 2 Sound Rigging

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Descent 2 Sound Rigging

Post by Dakatsu »

Hey, I have always wanted to get Descent 2 & 1, but my main thing was playability. I got around playing it in the demo, but there is no sound in the demo of D2 (has to do with sound card) and my joystick won't work, how can I fix this in both the Demo & Descent 2 & 1 (If I get the demo working completley, I will get descent 1 & 2.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If you're using Windows XP or 2000, try VDMSound (http://ntvdm.sourceforge.net/). It isn't a COMPLETELY optimal solution, as I've still had problems with netgames using that, but it does at least allow you to use sound and the joystick.

I should note, however, that there are other, much better solutions available, except they only apply to the full version (D1x 1.43, D2x, and D2X-XL, which may be compatible with shareware versions but I am not sure on that). If you decide to buy the full game (assuming of course you can still find it!) then you'll want to try those out to see whether you can get something that works better for you.

Until then, good luck with the technical issues... :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Addendum: Diedel says he has D2X-XL working with the demo. You might want to try it. :)
VR7
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VR7 »

Hasn't the Descent series become abandonware by now? I'm not even sure where they sell CDs of any of the games anymore.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Effectively, yes. But that's not my decision to make.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »