Got room for another folder?

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Radman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Got room for another folder?

Post by Radman »

I know I'm a couple of years late to the game, but I hope you guys don't mind me throwing some CPU's online for your team.

I just got back into Descent after 10 or 11 years of screwing around with other games trying to find something as fun. I Never did so the last 5 years I've been modding the Battlefield series. I burnt out on that, so I came back to my old online Decent group, the Rangers. I found out I totally suck at Descent now, so I might as well put my CPUs to work doing something useful.

Some might remember me by a few pieces of art I did for Descent friends like Koolbear and Pooterman... ancient stuff and I've come a long way since, but I just found KB has a page up of my old D2 stuff... http://www.koolbear.com/Descent/Radman/index.html

Anyway, hopefully I can contribute some to the team and more importantly the F@H project. My computers are all yester-year tech, but they should do fine for folding. I quit upgrading every 4 months when I slowed down playing Online games.

I'll be folding on these:
dual xeon 3.2ghz running (4 F@H clients)
P4 3.4 OC'ed to 3.6ghz (2 F@H clients)
P4 3.0 OC'ed to 3.4ghz (2 F@H clients)
P4 2.4 (no H/T) (1 F@H client)

I've been at it for about 48 hours... Lost about 24 hours of work on 2 of the cpu's screweing around trying to tweak them. I also have some wierdness going on with a few of the cpu's being 2 to 3 times slower than others, but I'll let this run a few more days before I start asking too many irratating questions. Hope some of you active folders are still monitoring these forums.

Rad out
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Thanks!

Watch those P4's tho, f@h will cook them.. Also, if your CPUs are hyperthreaded, run only one f@h client per physical core.
ImageImage
Radman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Radman »

OH crap, good to know. You might want to edit the how-to's on this site. Especially the part about setting up a hyperthreaded machine: viewtopic.php?t=3500

I will take down 2 instances on the xeon as soon as they are finished. The projects are at about 75% each. Not very good since they are actully running the same project that I first finished on another machine last night and they started about the same time. I do suspect heat to be a factor besides the hyperthreading. The machine that it blazing thru these is cooled with a good koolance watercooled case... even on H/T, but the xeon is on 2 passive Zalman watercooling towers that don't do a very good job in the summer.

I'm using this FahMon to track the progress and performance of each instance. Is the \"PPD\" a decent indicator of the performance, or does that vary with each project?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Radman wrote:OH crap, good to know. You might want to edit the how-to's on this site. Especially the part about setting up a hyperthreaded machine: viewtopic.php?t=3500
Yep. Unfortunately we don't have a mod for this section :/
Radman wrote:I'm using this FahMon to track the progress and performance of each instance. Is the "PPD" a decent indicator of the performance, or does that vary with each project?
Beats me. I just run the console on two comps and check them every other day if they are still running :)
ImageImage
Radman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Radman »

Well I just shut down 3 of my machines after their WU's were uploaded. My office was getting too frigging hot. I had to run the air conditioning 24 hours a day just to keep from passing out. I'm in California and that's not cheap. I also checked my utilities meter outside and the little disk was spinning so fast it looked like a table saw.
Radman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Radman »

OT, a little sig test...

edit: never mind, I guess this board dosn't allow sig or [IMG] links?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

ImageImage