isn't folding bad for the environment?

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

isn't folding bad for the environment?

Post by roid »

have you ever thought that it's using a lot of energy to have all these computers folding 24/7?

Most of that energy emits CO2. Shouldn't we be conserving, do our part to fight global warming etc?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Folding doubles as a space heater during the winter. I usually don't fold during the summer.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

progress requires energy. energy usage requires energy to be transformed. transforming 100% of energy is impossible for the forseeable future and thus produces loss in the form of warmth and/or side products (CO2 for example).
long story short - you get nowhere without energy loss. reducing CO2 emissions is easy: raise efficiency. the best way to start off is to get rid of that 6l-car that eats 15+ liters per 100 km. (most modern cars are below 7l/100km)
compared to that, folding may benefit millions in the future. that old car benefits the driver alone.

oh by the way, playing computer games, TV, posting online etc. pollutes the environment ;)
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

When I was folding and long before and after my computer was on 24/7 365 anyway.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Actually having my house heated, and talking on TS also wastes energy. So in an effort to fight \"global warming\", I will now sell my house without my parents permission and move out into the woods where I'll freeze to death.

The fact of the matter is yes, you are correct in your statement. Will that suddenly prevent anyone and everyone from doing it? No.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

My computer does not emit CO2. Even if it did, it would be less than what I emit. Ozone, perhaps but not CO2. And yeah, I know you meant the sources of the energy it uses. Here in the northwest, most of ours is hydro-electric. ...what isn't being sold off to California.

But if you want to get right down to it, everything that moves or lives uses energy and emits some form of nasty by product that in mass is harmful to about everything. I'm not that fussed about living.

Really Roid, I didn't think you were the religious type.

and I don't \"fold\". It doesn't interest me. Let a corporation spend the money to set up super servers to do that. They are the one that will try to exploit the data anyways. ..whoever \"they\" are. ;)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

How much does it even cost? Anyone ever track it for a year, say?

My work machine is on 24/7 because I might have to VPN into it (and save gas, yay). It runs a folding program. World Community Grid or something. Let the company pay the electric bill. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Testiculese wrote:How much does it even cost? Anyone ever track it for a year, say?

My work machine is on 24/7 because I might have to VPN into it (and save gas, yay). It runs a folding program. World Community Grid or something. Let the company pay the electric bill. :)
lol

well lets see, a newer puter uses a 500 watt power supply (plus or minus) how many KwH is that? And then whatever your monitor uses along with any LEDs that might be being utilized on devices. (which isn't a whole lot if barely anything)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

zomg we're all contributing to the eventual heat-death of the universe!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Duper wrote:My computer does not emit CO2.
The manufacturing process of your computer components did emit quite a bit CO2 tho. Plus every kW/h that goes into your comp creates CO2.
Testiculese wrote:How much does it even cost? Anyone ever track it for a year, say?
About 548kW/h/yr for the folding I do at home. Can't remember what I pay per kW/h tho. This is JUST the folding (100% CPU load vs. mostly idle CPU).

Amazes me to see how little people know about environmental impacts of computer/power etc.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The manufacturing process of my computer releases gases far more harmful than CO2. ;)

and I know I do just sitting next to it.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

yup