Quick hyperthreading question...

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Quick hyperthreading question...

Post by Jeff250 »

If I have two of these FAH's running at idle priority with my hyperthreading system, is XP smart enough to throttle both FAH processes to let a single-process program like Doom3 have 100% of the (in reality) sole physical CPU? I tried checking it out with the task manager, and it looked like a CPU-intensive program would consume one of the logical CPU's, leaving like 1% for the FAH core assigned to that CPU, but that the other one would still show 50%, although a game like Doom3 didn't really seem to take a hit. Is the task manager showing unrealistic CPU usage and is XP smart enough to figure hyperthreading out? It is supposed to be HT aware-- I just assume that this is what it's all about!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the CPU can't tell how much "usage" its getting, you need an outside observer for that.

Its more of a measure of how much a process is filling the current working queue for the given CPU.