I Borked It

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

I Borked It

Post by Deadmeat »

When I first set up F@H on my main rig I screwed the pooch and wound up with three instances of it which I couldn't delete. Anyway, after dickering around, Services now shows two installations, one in Documents and Settings and another in Program Files, which are disabled. The third is in a folder named FAH1 all by itself on the C drive.

The other day I was checking my three machines to make sure they were all fully optimized. Well, I did something stupid so now my main rig won't start the program automatically. I tried running the Installer program again with no help. I'd like to go back to square one with a fresh install as I have on my other two machines. The question is how do I go about uninstalling everything? And, once that's done, how do I get the Installer to work? Yea, I've done it before, but now his instructions are just Geek to me. He expects everyone to know what he's talking about.

On a side note, when I set this machine up, I made a folder called Programs which contains most of the applications I run. There is also a Program Files folder that I guess is Windows generated that contains applications. I would like to combine the two, but not sure now. Can I just copy/paste everything in Programs into Program Files? Please don't tell me to reformat. If it gets down to that I'll just leave things as they are.
Dev_Null
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dev_Null »

Okay first of all, get rid of every trace of folding. Registry, files on the hard drive, and delete the services. To delete a service go to start | run | then type "sc delete <name of service to be deleted>" no quotes of course. After you delete the services you'll have to reboot to see the effect.

Next, re-download F@H from the stanford site (I'll assume you're using the console version.) Place the console in the folder of your choice. Set the config how you like, and enable the service. Now reboot.

Once you're back into Windows, check task manager | processes tab to make sure that F@H is running, and make sure the the core is using 90%+ of the CPU.

If that all doesn't work for you, then I'll need you to explain exactly what the "something stupid" was. ;)

~Dev
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Thanx much, Dev. That worked great.

Now another question. I now have the three comps networked so I thought it would be neat to set up multiple clients in F@HMon. The problem is each comp displays the percentage and ETA for the WU it's working on. Like this

14% JAXBOX 2d 17h 49mn
14% JAXBOX2 2d 17h 49mn
14% JAXBOX3 2d 17h 49mn

How do I get it to show the other comp's numbers?
Dev_Null
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dev_Null »

I have no experience with FoldMonitor. I remember when I first tried it I really didn't like it, so I switched to EMIII.

I suggest you try out EMIII. It has a nice gui, and a lot of features. It even allows for over-the-web monitoring via built in web server routines if that is your thing.

~Dev