Netplay Dilemmas

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Interceptor6
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Netplay Dilemmas

Post by Interceptor6 »

So me and a friend have been trying to get D2X-XL's netplay to work. Unfortunately, we haven't had much results. We're using the same version of the game, and can both find the tracker when connecting, but the serving person's game never shows up in the tracker. We both have port 28342 forwarded as well, and our firewalls do not appear to be the problem. Does the tracker take an unusually long time to index/add games to the list? We've tried pretty much everything, but nothing has worked at all. I heard something about connecting using port 0 instead, but haven't got a chance to try it yet. Will that work?

So i'm baffled. Any ideas? :?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The server (game host) listens and sends on port 28342. This port must be opened in any firewall used. The client can send using port 0 (allowing the OS to select an available port), and will have to send to port 28342 (default).

Once the server receives data from some client, it will extract the client's port from the info coming with the data, and thus know that client's port number.

The problem with UDP/IP is that there is no mechanism making sure the data arrives intact or at all at the addressee. So if the data gets mutilated or lost due to a bad inet connection, you will never know - you just won't connect.

I just tried a UDP/IP mp game via tracker, starting two instances of D2X-XL on my machine, and it worked.