Real-time lighting issue.

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Real-time lighting issue.

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

(Couldn't post it in the stickied thread since every time I hit submit, it wants to not 'display' my post, not sure if the forum is tweaking out or it just deletes my posts, so instead I made a new topic)
Okay, I have a AMD Anthlon 3000+ with 1 gig ram and a ASUS AGP Geforce 4 Nvidia 512 meg ram video card. (yes, that's correct)
I installed the latest (ver. 1.6.61) version from Diedel's site and set up all my rendering options and it plays fine. But whenever I try to flare a dark area, shine my headlight or simply shoot down a dark corridor, nothing happens. it ALL STAYS DARK. Maybe the lighter areas brighten up just TEENSY bit, but that's about it. Not even dying and exploding seems to brighten up the walls around me. So is there any way to fix this or is it something I must wait for the next release before real-time lighting from your weapons/headlights/flares work again to illuminate the gloom? I'm running Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Lightmaps on or off? Contrast not set to standard?
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

lightmaps on, because I kinda liked the colored lights. (or does lightmaps not do this?) If it doesn't, then what is the point of lightmaps? And if its an option, shouldn't real-time lighting from your weapons be able to function whether lightmaps are on or off?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Try to turn lightmaps off and see whether it works.

I am starting to *hate* the lightmap feature - it causes more problems than it does good.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

That's what did it, the light maps was the problem. by the by, did you get my PM? Thanks again.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yes, PM has arrived.

What bugs? Please repost.

Level links no worky. Got the files from PD though.

Nice gfx card. :)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

The bugs mentioned in the PM were covered here in this thread, so do not worry about it anymore, it was the lighting issues. (although selecting Show Weapon Icons in the configure menus does tend to want to exit out of D2-XL completely every time its checked.)