The D2X-XL Publicity Project

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

The D2X-XL Publicity Project

Post by Kirby »

I'm trying to think of ways to publicize D2X-XL....cause I'm so bored of being the only one avaliable to multiplay at one time :P

Ideas:
1) Slashdot
2) Digg
3) Popular blog advertisements
4) IGN, Gamespy, ect.

I already tried Slashdot one time, but my article was not posted (suprisenly *sarcasm*). Maybe if we can get more than one person \"attacking\" the same area, then maybe we can have a shot :)

ideas anyone???
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: The D2X-XL Publicity Project

Post by simX »

Kirby wrote:I'm trying to think of ways to publicize D2X-XL....cause I'm so bored of being the only one avaliable to multiplay at one time :P

Ideas:
1) Slashdot
2) Digg
3) Popular blog advertisements
4) IGN, Gamespy, ect.

I already tried Slashdot one time, but my article was not posted (suprisenly *sarcasm*). Maybe if we can get more than one person "attacking" the same area, then maybe we can have a shot :)

ideas anyone???
Unfortunately it's tough to get a lot of support for a 13-year-old game, even if it is insanely fun and (at least IMHO) better than any other multiplayer game I've ever played, even recent ones.

I posted an article on applexnet.com regarding D2X-XL, and it only got like 500 reads in the first few days (whereas most articles got around 2000 or so reads). I'm trying to post a bunch about it on my weblog, but that doesn't have much of a readership.

While getting articles on Slashdot and Digg is admirable and would probably generate some short-term interest, I think the best way to generate long-term interest in D2X-XL (where you would get people to reliably play on the tracker) at this point is word of mouth. I originally found D2X like 3 years or so ago, but it was crappy on the Mac, and I didn't find out about D2X-XL until January of this year (even though that was like version 1.5.142). D2X-XL wasn't exactly a nice Mac citizen either, but luckily I was able to fix that myself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while getting articles on major sites would always be good (and I definitely support that), it may be more feasible and worthwhile to just show the game to a friend and get her really interested in D2X-XL, and push that friend to show it to show it to her friends.

In any case, if you're looking for some multiplayer action, my friend and I and the guys at Hard Light Productions have been having some awesome games from around 8 PM to 1 AM Pacific Standard Time. It's been happening every night this week so far. Keep checking this thread for details. We've had a 6-player game or two (more often 5 players, though), and we'd always welcome another player to join in.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: The D2X-XL Publicity Project

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

simX wrote:In any case, if you're looking for some multiplayer action, my friend and I and the guys at Hard Light Productions have been having some awesome games from around 8 PM to 1 AM Pacific Standard Time. It's been happening every night this week so far.
This is what got me to have a look tonight!

Nice game"s" guys! ;)