Weapon Model shots

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Locked
User avatar
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 1999 2:01 am
Location: Sedalia
Contact:

Weapon Model shots

Post by DizzyRox » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:59 pm

Question for anyone modeling or anyone whom can help me solution this photoshop wise..
Jus curious
How hard would it be to make quick shape or low detail models of the weapons and make their certain framed spin ani's,Id sure give anything to get my hands on the single frames of these weapons spinning with crisper edges.The outside edge is so rough in the games original textures it seems it will be hard (time consuming) to keep the outside edges from moving/crawling during the spin ,Or I really just dont know how to go about it exactly yet, one of those, ill cross the road when I get there things.
I could be blowing this out of proportion,it jus seems like itll be tough and not as precise without model shots.
thanks
Dizzy
User avatar
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend
Posts: 1604
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:27 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: Weapon Model shots

Post by Aus-RED-5 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:50 pm

DizzyRox wrote:Question for anyone modeling or anyone whom can help me solution this photoshop wise..
Jus curious
How hard would it be to make quick shape or low detail models of the weapons and make their certain framed spin ani's,Id sure give anything to get my hands on the single frames of these weapons spinning with crisper edges.The outside edge is so rough in the games original textures it seems it will be hard (time consuming) to keep the outside edges from moving/crawling during the spin ,Or I really just dont know how to go about it exactly yet, one of those, ill cross the road when I get there things.
I could be blowing this out of proportion,it jus seems like itll be tough and not as precise without model shots.
thanks
Dizzy
Using Descent 3 models.
I ripped this into D2X-XL.
Image
Download

Its a W.I.P. at the moment. ;)
User avatar
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:21 am
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Re: Weapon Model shots

Post by simX » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Aus-RED-5 wrote: Using Descent 3 models.
I ripped this into D2X-XL.
Meh, I don't like the look of that one. It looks like a crayon, with its bright blue color. I think a realistic redo of the Descent 2 homing missile would look better.
User avatar
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4680
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 3:01 am
Contact:

Post by Testiculese » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:58 pm

That is a little over-blue. I think it got brightened in the conversion. It looks ..oh wait, you can tell I haven't played in a while, It looks about the same in-game.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:26 am

Post by =Tempest= » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:08 pm

Or we could make powerups have models instead of the silly anis they are now. I hate how, when you roll, all the powerups on the screen spin with you. Too arcade like...
User avatar
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend
Posts: 1604
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:27 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Post by Aus-RED-5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:45 pm

I know it looks crap.
This is why I said it is a W.I.P (WORK IN PROGRESS). ;)

Its only to give an idea as to how it works. :roll:
Testiculese wrote:That is a little over-blue. I think it got brightened in the conversion. It looks ..oh wait, you can tell I haven't played in a while, It looks about the same in-game.
The image above is an ingame shot.
I made a gif out of the video I took from the game. :P :roll:
User avatar
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:21 am
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Post by simX » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:19 am

Aus-RED-5 wrote:I know it looks crap.
This is why I said it is a W.I.P (WORK IN PROGRESS). ;)
Just because it's a WIP doesn't mean I still can't call it crap. ;)
User avatar
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master
Posts: 5278
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Diedel » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:46 am

simX,

one more word and we will unfortunately have to shoot you. :P

j/k ;)
User avatar
AverageJoe
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Loading Bay

Post by AverageJoe » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:41 am

I do have to agree with simX. Just ripping models, textures and the like is really quite half assed. Plus his description of \"crayon\" fits really well too.
Searching for my head in vain...
Image
User avatar
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master
Posts: 5278
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Diedel » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:25 pm

The missile was just an exercise by Aus-RED, a proof of concept. Your remarks are pointless.
Locked