D2X-XL now supports mp3 and ogg/vorbis user music

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-XL now supports mp3 and ogg/vorbis user music

Post by Diedel »

See my worklog for details.
sanmadjack
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sanmadjack »

I have every version of Descent I and II's (including vertigo) CD soundtrack ripped to high-quality flac. After reading your post, I'm mass converting them to OGG, but I'm wondering if I would be allowed to post a link to a torrent I shall make containing these files. I figure others would like such a thing, and I would like to spread the love. Also, will there be any plans to allow the user to customize the Briefing and Credit music?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I will add briefing and credit music params.

Just go ahead and publish the ogg music files. There are mp3s of many Descent songs around anyway. I can also host the music.
sanmadjack
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sanmadjack »

Thanks for the all clear, but I just finished converting them all, I added the \"-introsong C:\\games\\d2x-xl\\music\\Descent_II\\Descent_II_-_The_Infinite_Abyss\\02_-_Title.ogg\" parameter with the full path to the OGG file, but I hear nothing when I enter the game. Not even the MIDI soundtrack.Are there specific OGG encoding settings I should be using? I went a little overboard and encoded them at 500 kbps with a 44.1 kHz sammple rate. Also, I can't remember if d2x-xl does the fly-out-of-the-mine thing at the end of descent 1 levels (and I can't check it, for some reason d2x-xl is crashing on me when I try to load descent 1 level 1), but if it does can we customize the music for that as well? In case you can't tell, I've been anticipating this feature for a looong time. I originally ripped all the music so I'd have it ready for when this came along. Thanks much for all your hard work, you've made this old Descent fan very happy.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Did you turn up music volume in the sound config menu?
sanmadjack
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sanmadjack »

It is turned up, and if I remove the switch then the MIDI music works just fine. Should I bite the bullet and try MP3 instead?

-update: MP3 didn't work either. I double-checked the path to the OGG/MP3 files for errors, but alas I am left clueless.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The music file extensions have to be lowercase. Try that.
sanmadjack
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sanmadjack »

The extensions are already lowercase. I tried making everything in the path lowercase (just to try it) and that didn't help either. Is there some kind of error log I can check or debug mode that can give me a \"02_-_title.ogg not found, idiot\" error?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Open the d2x.ini and add the \"-printlog\" switch to it and save it.

After you start D2x-xl it will create the \"d2x.log\" file.
The log file should have all the info that d2x-xl looks for when loading.

Having said that, I don't know if that will give you any info about the mp3 or ogg files?

Good luck. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Well ... D2X-XL doesn't print \"... you idiot\" error messages ... :roll:

:lol:

But it will print diagnostic messages from the music loader. Look for lines containing \"SDL_mixer\".

Oh btw, you have to enable SDL_mixer in d2x.ini to hear user music ('-sdl_mixer 1').
sanmadjack
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sanmadjack »

Hooray! Enabling the SDL mixer did allow the music to play! Unfortunately doing so also caused the program to complain about not having MSVCR71D.DLL. I hunted down a copy of the Visual C++ 2005 runtimes and installed them, and the menu music started working fine. So, I moved on to level music, but every time I try to start a level with sdl_mixer enabled, it crashes. I added the -printlog switch, but I don't see hide nor hair of anything *.log. The credit music works fine though.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You shouldn't need msvcr71d.dll, but msvcr71.dll. That's a hint that there are probably some debug dlls included in the d2x-xl package. I will check that and update the dlls.
sanmadjack
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sanmadjack »

Hooray I update to a newer version and crashing on loading levels is no more. The briefing music works like a charm, but I'm not getting any playback once I actually get in-game. Works everywhere else. Do OGG files have to be sampled at 33 kHz like your worklog says to do to MP3s, or are they fine at 44 kHz?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

ogg playback seems to work differently from mp3 - no in-game resampling required. In-level music is controlled by a playlist - check your playlist entries.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

The MP3 and OGG support is one of the best features of D2X-XL even added! (Also the colored lighting is a neat feature, but that's not the topic right now :P )

Thanks Diedel for your hard work! :D

Sanmadjack:
As Diedel says, you doesn't need to resample your OGG files, that's only for MP3 ones.
And if some of the songs doesn't play, check the name and routes in your playlist files.

(BTW Diedel, in the last version of D2X-XL, there is no looping in the songs. I've put this bug report on Sourceforge already. :wink: )
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

I made an OGG version of the credits MIDI tune.

http://consupharm.de/07%20-%20Credits.ogg

What's your opinion? Anything I can do better?
If you like it, I can convert the other songs, too.

Stuff I used:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Thanks. I will listen to it when I find the time.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Hey, just wanted to bring these to your attention:
fs2downloads.com/uploads/D2_01.ogg
fs2downloads.com/uploads/D2_04.ogg

There are all 4 Descent 2 tracks and 5 of the descent 1 tracks. I also tried out Synthfont but it had problems with low notes and it also cut out overlapping notes. Are there any better programs or soundfonts out there?

Oh, and I didn't make these.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

Synthfont note cutting can be disabled in the preferences.

True, Synthfont isn't such a good piece of software, but it's all I have.
darklord42
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by darklord42 »

On second thought this probabibly goes on the Q+A thread
\"Life is pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something\"