Oi!

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Oi!

Post by Diedel »

Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It has gotten better over time with respect to the graphic effects. Whenever anything gets implemented for the first time, it will look rough until it has had some art love!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

so how many more new features are you planning to add? Or do you think D2 has reached its peak in terms of features it can be stuffed with? :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I was thinking of stuffing the OGRE rendering engine into it, but I am not sure I will actually do that, because I will either have to rebuild the level format (mesh) completely internally, or create a scene manager that can handle the cube based format, and that would probably not be a real advance.

The next question would be how well OGRE would handle the tons of lights present in an average Descent level.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

...OGRE rendering engine? What's that do? What are its advantages?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

It is .org not .com :D

www.ogre3d.org
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

-> Google
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Yes you could use google thats how I found it since the link you had up went to a search page and I linked it to be helpful.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Anyway, it doesn't look very much like I will do the port, at least not anytime soon. There is not much going on with D2X-XL development or bug fixing, and I have found that I enjoy the free time that gives me very much.

D2X-XL has become kind of a second job for me, and I have the impression that most people have no idea of how time consuming it is.

Gonna slap up a gameplay video or two during the coming weeks, that's it (bar fixing any bugs I have been reported and can reproduce).

Last thing I had improved was texture pre-caching because it was driving me mad to have the game lag around every time I had reloaded a savegame when trying to grab it for a movie. Actually that had been a long standing issue, but had always been low on my list of priorities. It just became really annoying when I tried to make a good movie and everything got so choppy after a reload that the bots spanked me around simply because I couldn't react. To my great satisfaction that issue now seems to be completely resolved. :)

Why do I write so much here? Because I am sitting at my workplace computer which is tucking along creating some optimization data base (for whatever), and I can do nothing but wait for it to finish. :evil: Kind of boring.

Kinda talking to myself - maybe someone will talk back. :)

Gonna install and play Supreme Commander, finally. Imo, Total Annihilation (kind of its predecessor) has been the greatest RTS of all times, and as SC is from the same guy, it might beat it. I am excited. Ooooh, the Krogoths wading through seas of blood, errrm, oil and robot wrecks ... :roll:
Atixtasy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Atixtasy »

woot to Supreme Commander!! if I wasn't completely broke trying to almost replace every single part on my PC that originally cost me around 2 grand I would definitely get that game :P

Also I'm no diedel here :lol: but I do know that saving texture memory to system memory is an ABSOLUTE NO NO. Heh, I've tried making a sample of code to render using each the system memory and the graphics memory and there really was a remarkable difference. Also, since i've been gone for a while I'm really amazed at what you have done with D2X-XL thus far Diedel, good work! *thumbs up smiley here*
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Well if you do make the Ogre upgrade or some other engine upgrade. I'd hope you'd fix up the remaining bugs in the current version, cut off the version numbers at the final release. (like if the past version was 1.9.326, just release the last version as 2.0 and have that be the final last stable D2-XL release before you go porting to the new engine) That way the community has a stable benchmark with which to fall back to if the Ogre port doesn't work quite the way you imagined.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

DFW, I don't know what bugs you are talking of.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well sorry if you think I'm insolent and haven't forgotten my past transgressions. I said I'm sorry about it and I don't mean to cause trouble. What I'm saying is, there will always be bugs in a program, esp. when adding new features and stuff like you are. I meant no wrong by that. Furthermore, when its finally time TO upgrade to a new rendering engine, all I was mentioning was the fact that whatever bugs that were still lingering because of recent additions to the code should be cleared, fixed up, and finalized for a fully stable public release before making the big move to another engine. That's all I said, meant no disrespect.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Please guys.

Don't start in here.

Let it go or I'll have to start editing, or maybe even deleting some posts in here. :evil:

Thank you.

Private Messages sent.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I had deleted the second, German part of my post maybe 5 or 10 minutes after posting it, before anybody had replied to it (and probably even seen it, due to the time difference).

Seeing it here again really upsets me, and I wonder whether it has something to do with the repeated outages of this forum and the dang forum server/software malfunctioning on a regular base.