D2X-XL and coronas

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-XL and coronas

Post by Diedel »

With high corona quality, D2X-XL can slow to a crawl on certain hardware (ATI). There is a reason to that: D2X-XL tries to do some \"DX 10 soft particle\" style blending of the coronas with geometry in front of them using a shader program. In order to accomplish that, after having rendered the geometry and before rendering the corona, the gfx driver's depth buffer has to be copied to a texture, and that can take extremely long - on some hardware regardless of CCC settings, on other depending on certain CCC settings.

There are certain people who questioned that and did not understand it even when it was explained to them, insisting that D2X-XL's corona rendering is some simple blending of a texture with its background.

Not so.

If I say there's more to something in D2X-XL than meets the eye, then there is more. No need trying to explain my own code to me.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

we have d3 for that, come play d3 with us

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.