D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Making a savegame here in a bit....

Add Image?? When did THAT get there...?? :oops:

LOL... sometimes I can be so blind I wonder how I ever fly that ship... :P

Soo.... image it is: Image

And a savegame will follow when I get the chance -- I'm still recovering from an OS crash...
Yogi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Yogi »

Using version .64 and Descent 2 level 13, I am getting CTD whenever I change secondary weapons, specifically number 6 (concussion and ?). Also, key 7 toggles my Homing and Burn (?) and key 8 toggles Flash and bomb (?)

Anyone else having these issues?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Ok bug here..

Do a fresh install of D2 v1.2 Vertigo and then extract the latest version of D2x 1.5.164 to it.
Now try playing a new or single player game (Counterstrike or Vertigo) and the game will crash once you enter the mine.

I then extracted an older version of D2x v1.5.156 to the same fresh install and the missions loaded fine.

Something isn't right with Version .164? :(
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yogi, AUS,

try to reconfigure all of your controls.

Edit: Forget it, I think it was a problem with the text messages I had made localizeable.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

I'm hearing this strange music in D2 briefings... all the time, every time. I believe that the music is actually \"briefing.mid\" in DESCENT2.HOG, but it should never be used.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

D3Hack wrote:... I believe that the music is actually "briefing.mid" in DESCENT2.HOG, but it should never be used.
So... the briefing music should NOT get played during the briefing? . . . am I missing something? :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Now that you mention it I seem to remember the briefing music not playing during the robot intros.
-Suncho
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Silencer »

Updated to .165, still getting messed-up D1 font colors in the intro briefings and mission briefings. Checked a previous version (.15x) that works fine and it seems the green lettering is having a problem in these latest versions. The letters are instead black with some weird yellow or red effect; they are impossible to read.
Nicolay.G
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Bugs in: .165 :

Post by Nicolay.G »

Bugs in: .165 :

The flash missile icon appears always selected, even if other missile is \"really\" selected.

It forgets the \"inverted\" setting in both slide axis when loading a saved game or starting another one.

(I hope this time I'm clear :roll: )
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Silencer »

forget my problem. It cleared itself up somehow!

BTW, anyone know how to do a \"sniper\" zoom for the gauss/vulcan cannons? I remember that being written down somewhere, but it doesn't show up anywhere I've looked and it's not in the F1 controls list.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Go into your config setup to bind a key or mouse button to it. It's in the lower right corner.
-Suncho
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

TechPro wrote:
D3Hack wrote:... I believe that the music is actually "briefing.mid" in DESCENT2.HOG, but it should never be used.
So... the briefing music should NOT get played during the briefing?
No. It's odd, but... no. Only that briefing hum should be played.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

D3Hack wrote:
TechPro wrote:
So... the briefing music should NOT get played during the briefing?
No. It's odd, but... no. Only that briefing hum should be played.
Ohh! I get it now. :roll:

The briefing music (briefing.mid) does play during the briefing... but when you're seeing the bot info briefings it should be playing that "buzz" (mechanical sounding soft thrumming noise).

You're right. The briefing music is playing during the bot briefings sequence.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

The briefing hum is still there, but mixed with the MIDI music of the D2Demo briefing.

However, i like it more the new way, with music BG and also the hum.

I hope diedel will not change this, because it's better with music. Or well, in any case, he could add an option to play or not to play briefing music.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Pumo wrote:The briefing hum is still there, but mixed with the MIDI music of the D2Demo briefing.

However, i like it more the new way, with music BG and also the hum.

I hope diedel will not change this, because it's better with music. Or well, in any case, he could add an option to play or not to play briefing music.
That works for me. 8)
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

Bug for .166

#1) The first missile launch in a new game (Doesn't matter which game) doesn't show a smoke trail.

#2) Odd colored font in briefings. (This happened in the previous version as well)

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

#1 Cannot reproduce.

#2 I know. This completely fouled up palette handling of Descent ... :evil: ... but I have already added true rgb color handling, so I will probably have the font colors specified rgb instead of a palette index (into a palette that is constantly changing faster than I can figure where).
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

Another bug for .166

The first mission I load after booting up D2X-XL seems to work fine, then these error messages occur after attempting to load any other missions except the official ones.

Descent 2 Missions

Descent 1 Missions
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

RatoN,

mission loading bug fixed in v1.5.167.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Hmmm... Is smoke a multiplayer only option? I can't see it in-game on either D1 or D2 single player.

Also... double check your text for the 2 sliders... one of them (particle size, i think) has \"large\" for both, the highest and 2nd highest notch.
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by RatoN »

D3Phoenix wrote:Hmmm... Is smoke a multiplayer only option? I can't see it in-game on either D1 or D2 single player.

Also... double check your text for the 2 sliders... one of them (particle size, i think) has "large" for both, the highest and 2nd highest notch.
Smoke works fine for me in single-player.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Bug in version 1.5.167:

Smoke can only be seen at the first moment the game is played. after a bit, the smoke disappears completely from the game (maybe is the problem D3Phoenix says in Single Player), and the only way to see it again is to exit the game and restart D2X-XL.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Fixed. There was still a problem with the particle system manager (I had failed to implement a proper used/free list handling). Get v1.5.168.
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

What's with the new version of D2X-XL including a player file?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

RatoN wrote:What's with the new version of D2X-XL including a player file?
Thats Diedel's player file. Bet he didn't mean to add that in. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No, it's a default player file containing settings that imho are a good start for some one installing D2X-XL the first time. ;)
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

Here are two more bugs.

This minor bug I've had since I got D2X-XL but failed to report it (Around the .150's). Sometimes the window is fine, and sometimes it's collapsed on the right side like shown on the image below.

And this one started either .164 or .165. Wrong texture after exiting the mines in Descent 1.

Nicolay.G
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nicolay.G »

Current outstanding bugs:

It forgets the \"inverted\" setting in both slide axis when loading a saved game or starting another one.

It also forgets the mouse settings.

I have to clarify, this doesn't happen the first time you load or start a game.

- You change the settings, it plays fine
- You load a game, it keeps playing fine
- You load again, it forgets the settings, and have to change them again

I even deleted all setting files to see if it was a file version mismatch with no luck.

Am I crazy or it only happens to me in the hundreds and thousands of users of D2x-xl :?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

RatoN,

#1 What's wrong?
#2 is a random bug not related to the version number. You just were lucky before.

Nicolay,

what version.

@ all,

I don't know why you are so crazy to see the same old briefings the 1001st time, while there are so exciting new mp modes and maps for D2X-XL available.

Edit: Briefing text color bug fixed once and for all. :)
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by RatoN »

Diedel wrote:RatoN,

#1 What's wrong?
Uh. Well... There is no padding on the right side of the score window. Sometimes there is and sometimes it looks like it does on that screenshot.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

-Smoke still nonexistent on my system with .170 -- nothing from missiles, ships, or bots. I CAN see the damage explosions on 'injured' bots though, Like it very much...

-Thrusters on ship have a couple minor issues, but overall look pretty good:
* When a ship backs up, the thrusters go thru the ship and come out the front, sometimes obscuring my view if I bi/tri-chord backwards.
* They're a bit too high and wide to match up with the ship thrusters.
* They are visible on rear view. VERY ANNOYING...

Yay! I can see the briefings again!! -- Now if they just wouldn't stutter sometimes. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Actually, the thruster flame position is the same as for the afterburner, which had been done by Parallax. I know they're not exactly at the right position. Maybe I will fiddle around a bit with that, and also suppress thruster flames when moving backwards.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

Got my powerhouse of a machine up and running finally, and took a try at D2X-XL:

Athlon64 X2 4400+
2xSLI GeForce 7800GT

1) you might wanna look at the implementation of the Render Options window again....when I enable and disable some specific options, new options pop up, but they don't go away when I disable the original option, ect...

2) Some extreme slowdowns when I look at the first smoke trail. Slowdowns continue even after the smoke cleared, and the slowdowns get worse and worse with every new smoke trail, it seems.

3) When a missle explodes, the smoke trail seems to disappear like magic.....unless if it's suppose to do that...
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Textures

Post by novacron »

Hey Diedel. I just downloaded your latest version (1.5.170) and it seems to lack the option to enable hires_textures yet again. I am releasing a sample pack tommorow, so when you get the chance... :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Nova,

there is still that command line switch to generally enable or disable hires textures, and the texture quality slider in render options affects how much D2X-XL decreases their size to save memory.
Peterix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peterix »

I also get no smoke trails...
Athlon xp + radeon 9700 pro + official drivers on WinXP
I tried messing with the various opengl settings, but couldn't make it work.
I also encountered a bug in one of the recent versions, where the ship can't move anymore - only rotate and shoot ( I'll post a savegame later ).
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: Textures

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

novacron wrote:Hey Diedel. I just downloaded your latest version (1.5.170) and it seems to lack the option to enable hires_textures yet again. I am releasing a sample pack tommorow, so when you get the chance... :)
I'm having this same prob.
I've added the -hires_textures command in the ini file. Made sure in D2x options for texture are set for hi-res. Still getting crappy textures. :(
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You need to put the hires textures in a subfolder named 'textures' of your D2 installation. I will check this problem though.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:You need to put the hires textures in a subfolder named 'textures' of your D2 installation. I will check this problem though.
I did add the folder.
Though you don't have to when unzipping. It will create a folder for you.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Thanks. That was all I needed to hack your computer and take all your money. :mrgreen: