D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, sounds like you have much more meaningful stuff on your hands than a bit of eye candy. :) I can just keep it turned off if it's too annoying for whatever reason.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel, it dind't make a difference. Started game, was able to scroll down 1 listing and then it wouldn't show any more changes.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

well because at x-90 fps normal but over 100 i can flip around like a pheonix in d3, I wanted to keep it at a reasonable rate because of the eaethquake bounce effect that is multiplied from detonated shakers at higher FPS.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Bubba,

Tested that in single oder multiplayer? With mouse or other control device?

Merlin,

sorry, I don't have a fix for you then. Can't tell why this is happening. What exactly does happen, btw? Everything getting invisible, or new stuff not being painted, or new stuff being painted over old stuff?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel, this is what happens. Your painted thing is basically it.

I start the game.
Get to main screen with all the options. I see this fine.
I can freely move the selection to another word and when I hit ENTER, the screen doens't get repainted with the new menu options but the game registers what I press.

Like It will show me the main menu screen when I'm actually in the Multiplayer menu.
DogfishHead
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by DogfishHead »

is the walls turning red as your fire traverses forward the "colored gunfire light effects"? can I turn that off somehow?

would you be willing to incorporate the mouselook style so mousers don't have to keep picking up the mouse. It doesn't really give a big advantage to mousers, as stickmen can still hand my ass to me for now... You have changed the code so much for kconfig.c, that it may be difficult to figure out how, but going back to the d2x 026 code, it is as simple as commenting out the clamping code (-Frametime to +Frametime section) and using something like the following:

Controls.heading_time += (mouse_axis[kc_mouse[15].value*Config_joystick_sensitivity*maxfps)/400;

Controls.pitch_time += (mouse_axis[kc_mouse[13].value]*Config_joystick_sensitivity*maxfps)/800

then you balance the keyboard with something like this:

if ( kc_keyboard[4].value < 255 ) kh += k0/pow(maxfps,0.7);

if ( kc_keyboard[0].value < 255 ) kp += k0/pow(maxfps,0.6);

the rest of the keys take care of themselves

I didn't balance the joystick yet, because I don't have one...but it could be done in a similar fashion if it isn't already working thanks to the 20Hz sampling.

You need to balance against maxfps instead of the current framerate because you get strange jumping if you do not balance against a constant (similar to what I am observing in your exe right now). I suppose I could build against your source instead and mess with it, but I would have to convert over to the evil microsoft empire development environment...of course my debugging would probably be easier without stinkin gdb/ddd....oh well, another subject.

Is D2X still maintained, or are you the new "source repository"?
DogfishHead
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by DogfishHead »

Silly me, I found the checkbox to turn off the walls lighting up with firing....I still want the fast mouse though... :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

merlin,

i have no clue why this happens.

dogfish,

how does "mouselook" work? What about this "jumping"? I don't experience any jumping.

(My kconfig.c code should be 10 times clearer and easy to understand than the old 0.2.6 spaghetti code mess, imho. ;) No, I don't feel offended by your remark at all, rather by the coding "quality" I have found in D2(X 0.2.6)).
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel, thanks for trying. Shame it did work for a while but then something changed and it went to hell.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

How does one host d2x-W32 behind a router via kali, for it shows my internal ip address??
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Diedel, I'd be able to show you what I mean about the colored lighting, but screenshots are broken again.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Merlin,

the only thing I had changed with the rendering recently was to suppress alpha blending when displaying fullscreen background bitmaps (alpha blending was used to simply blend textures into each other). Do older versions still work?

I have uploaded a D2X version where you can enable alpha blending for fullscreen background bitmaps. To have D2X do that, add "-blend_background 1" to your D2X.ini file.

Ferno,

make them with Fraps.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I tried with 1.1.45.0.

Can you email me older versions?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Merlin,

there is an updated 1.1.46 (blue version number in main menu screen). Get it, add "-blend_background 1" to your d2x.ini and try it over.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel wrote:Merlin,

there is an updated 1.1.46 (blue version number in main menu screen). Get it, add "-blend_background 1" to your d2x.ini and try it over.
Thanks but still no go. It also stops showing the currently selected menu item once I move the selection with the arrow keys.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

It seems that when I pick up several power-ups in quick succession (5 or 6) the screen washes out like a flash missile. I am blinded for several seconds. Had not noticed this problem before.

Is it possible to limit the amount of saturation so we are not blinded?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Bubbalou - IPX mode shouldn't be affected, unless you are talking about hosting UDP/IP and just getting your IP over Kali.

In that case, unfortunately it won't work; you'll need to find some other way of determining your IP than that given to you by programs on your own computer. There are websites out there that can tell you your external IP though.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Bubbalou,

You don't need your IP address for IPX mode (KALI or not).

If you are playing via UDP/IP and are opening a game host, you need to check your network adapter/router for your external IP address.

Merlin,

I am afraid I really can't help you then. I have changed nothing in the menu rendering except the background thingy (which should make things work better).

Tiger,

I have checked the brightness manipulation code, but could not really determine a reason for your overbright effect (and cannot observe it on two different machines here). D2X does however contain two different ways of changing the brightness, so I have changed that code a little to make sure these two methods do not interfere with/amplify each other.

I will upload D2X 1.1.47 some time today and post an update notification then.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Thank you Diedel:

I had run a comparrision with the regualar win95.exe of d2 and it would give me small flashes but never completely washed out the screen like when getting hit with a flash missile. I am looking forward to your update.

What would be real nice is an audio cue when your shields or energy reach say 25. Many times I am in battle and do not notice when my shields or energy get very low until I find myself without any left.

Audio cue could be either a series of short pulses or a sexy little voice that comes on to give you the warning.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Diedel wrote:If you are playing via UDP/IP and are opening a game host, you need to check your network adapter/router for your external IP address.
So as long as we forward the port :28xxx(what ever it is) in our routers, then give our external ip the UDP/IP game is a done deal. i'll test that later
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...lol. Keep a more careful eye on them maybe? :)

Series of short pulses can probably be done without HAM modifications, but the voice option can't.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

1.1.46-

The walls tint color whenever I fire my lasers or a flare. Whatever color is being fired, the walls turn (Texture does not change)and returns to normal when the bolt fired vanishes.
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

The wall color changes when you shoot but the change isn't very uniform (some cube sides get colored, then suddenly they aren't, it's an all or nothing kinda thing). that and with flares, the walls flash from tinted to regular and back over and over till the flare burns out. I can get some screens later if ya want.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's pretty obvious that that is going to happen... the flare itself is flashing.

Duper - that's not a bug, it's a feature. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Listen guys,

you cannot expect colored lighting in D2X work like in D3 or UT2004. It's a quick hack plugged onto the regular shot/flare lighting routines. W/o colored lighting, you simply won't notice complete segment sides turning bright because it blends with the uniformly white overall lighting. When coloring these lights, you will suddenly see how (crudely) D2(X) does that stuff.

If you don't like it, turn it off. I am not going to implement vertex or pixel shaders in D2X, simply because I have no clue how to do that. To properly do colored lighting, D2X's rendering would need to light up/colorize single pixels depending on their distance from the light source and their visibility. If you knew how D2's rendering works, you'd understand that it would be a pretty dauting task to make that happen.

The whole OpenGL stuff is plugged on top of D2's rendering engine just so that it works. Lehm, who has some deeper understanding of 3D coding, has told me that D2X still even does it's 3D geometry math, although that stuff could all be done by the OpenGL driver.

If you want an up-to-date engine using D2 segmented level architecture, pray that the guy coding Deep World will finish his project after his exam and not get drowned in job search and other rl stuff. ;)

If there are any OpenGL coding experts out there who would like to turn D2X's usage of OpenGL into something really solid, they're welcome to do it and I will support them in doing so (e.g. by telling them what files the rendering routines reside in, or other basic stuff like that).

I will now concentrate on things more relevant to having fun with D2X (like new game modes), or make life more convenient with it (like level auto downloading and tracker code).

Diedel (karx11erx)
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

It's cool Diedel, I was just pointing out what I saw more to see if it was just me or if it was simply how it was. I'm not trying to knock your work or anything. :) I almost can't see how you get the work you've gotten done so far with it, the original code is so...

scary :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

np, Garak, the discussion has just gotten a little ... off track, so to speak, so I am trying to direct the public attention towards more important issues again. :)

I have come pretty far in implementing an Entropy mode similar to D3's already ... :D
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

Makes sense. Someone with the time can add in pretty effects later. The new/fixed functionality is bitchin though :)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Holy CRAP @ Deep World. That looks so sweet!
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

Isn't it though?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Huh? colored lighting???? What's that supposed do? Heck I didn't even know it was an option that had been added.

*shrug* I'll just turn it off. :)

It was a bit of a shock when the halls turned all red when I shot the level 1 lasers. :lol:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have worked over a few things in D2X-W32, like colored lighting (doesn't darken bright areas that much any more and looks pretty good now imho - drool! :D), powerup pick up highlighting, menu rendering.

As I am currently implementing a complete new game mode in D2X, I will only publish a new D2X version when I am done with that and know for sure that the old stuff is still working. :)

Should be end of this/beginning of next week.

Diedel
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Could you address the keyboard issues mentioned here?
phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=104111#104111
Thanks.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I hadn't noticed that post at all. I will ofc see to fix these issues.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Regarding Entropy... it'd make more sense for aesthetic and simplicity reasons to only show the virus capacity when there is one. (Having [0] sort of makes it look like you can't carry any... even though that isn't the case.)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Sirius wrote:Regarding Entropy... it'd make more sense for aesthetic and simplicity reasons to only show the virus capacity when there is one. (Having [0] sort of makes it look like you can't carry any... even though that isn't the case.)
or replace zero with empty.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

"[0]" means exactly that you can't carry.

Jeez, I have built a complete new - and cool! - game mode into D2X, and all you have to do is nag about some display peanut.

/Diedel slaps his hand at his forehead

OMG.

Sirus,

you'd better go and build an Entropy level for D2X. ;)
DogfishHead
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by DogfishHead »

Hey, been awhile since I was back here...In regards to the mouselook and "jumping". If you implement the mouselook, you will see how it is obviously different. In regards to "jumping", just choose mouse mode. Move the mouse quickly 2 inches on the table (you will observe some sporadic movement on the screen). Then move it back to where it was originally slowly. Note the ship is not pointing to the location you started in. This is because of the clamping code kicking in when you move fast. For a behaved mouse mode, similar to unreal tournament or doomIII, etc, you have to do something like I described...
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Diedel:

took the pic down from the site because it was for 1.2.3
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Should be fixed in v1.2.4 (currently uploading).