D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Those weren't the same guys. Authentic pitch speed is good. =)
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I wasn't aware of pitch speed being 1/2 heading turn speed. I have added a switch allowing to limit pitch speed to 1/2 heading turn speed or not now.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I used to think pitch speed was half the turn speed in d1/d2 (it's not in d3). Then I played D2X-XL and assumed I must have been wrong. =)

1.5.158:

If I start D2X-XL without any of the data, I get a segmentation fault. A more helpful error message would be great. Maybe this isn't really a bug, but more of a suggestion...
-Suncho
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

In 1.5.157, disabling \"fast pitch\" doesn't work. When I go to disable it, then go back to that menu, it's still enabled, and still feels too fast.

(edit) Oh 1.5.158 is out now? I gotta make sure I'm up to date more often before I post. =P Okay, I'm going to test it in 1.5.158.
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yeah, I found a bug concerning fast pitch (which is now located in the controls menu, where it belongs ;)).
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

1.5.158:

This is what it looks like when I try to play D2 Demo using D2X-XL. =)

#2:

D2Demo also seems to be exit crashing randomly while I'm in the menus.

EDIT:

A note about this: All the text and graphics in the D2 Demo appear to be scaled to 320x200 resolution. This might be part of the problem.

EDIT:

1.5.158 #3: If I put d2x.ini in the \"config\" directory, the game doesn't read it.
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't have these problems.

Edit:

The D2 demo data doesn't contain the hires fonts.

My D2X-XL reads d2x.ini from the config folder. Make sure you don't have a copy in the main folder, maybe that's your problem.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Diedel wrote: My D2X-XL reads d2x.ini from the config folder. Make sure you don't have a copy in the main folder, maybe that's your problem.
Mine doesn't and I'm sure I don't have a d2x.ini outside.

EDIT: Note that I just tried putting it in its folder for the first time, so it's entirely possible that it would have happened in previous versions too.
-Suncho
Peterix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Bug

Post by Peterix »

Thief, guidebot and these phoenix-shooting bot (and maybe others) textures are replaced.

How to reproduce (158):
1. play Project:Mandrill or other mission with custom bots
2. exit to menu
3. play normal D2
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Suncho,

I have this definitely working on Windows and Linux.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Ok. Just to be sure, I did this:

1. Did a fresh install of D2 into an empty directory:
2. Extracted version 1.5.158 into another empty directory.
3. Create the following subdirectories in the D2X-XL directory:

config
data
missions
movies
profiles
savegames
screenshots

3. Move the following files from the D2X-XL main directory into the corresponding D2X-XL subdirectory:

d2x.ini -> config
alien1.256 -> data
alien2.256 -> data
cambot.hxm -> data
credits.256 -> data
default.256 -> data
fire.256 -> data
groupa.256 -> data
ice.256 -> data
palette.256 -> data
water.256 -> data

4. Move the following Descent 2 files into the corresponding D2X-XL subdirectories:

alien1.pig -> data
alien2.pig -> data
descent2.ham -> data
descent2.hog -> data
descent2.s11 -> data
descent2.s22 -> data
fire.pig -> data
groupa.pig -> data
ice.pig -> data
water.pig -> data
d2-2plyr.hog -> missions
d2-2plyr.mn2 -> missions
d2chaos.hog -> missions
d2chaos.mn2 -> missions
intro-h.mvl -> movies
intro-l.mvl -> movies
other-h.mvl -> movies
other-l.mvl -> movies
robots-h.mvl -> movies
robots-l.mvl -> movies

The game still didn't read the options in d2x.ini.
-Suncho
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

\"Kryptonite\" spelling works... and so does cryptonite... ??? Maybe a one-time glitch, b/c I can't reproduce it (stuck/part-broken key? This keyboard IS aincent...) Lol -- At least I'm sure that I was typing it right...

The following is sort of a suggestion, but its related enough to the current pitch/turn rate discussion that I thought it belonged here...

Double-checked pitch rate in the original game on real legacy hardware, software rendering -- pitch rates were EQUAL when using mouse - 2\" of movement in either direction resulted in the same degree of turn in the game. With the KEYBOARD the vertical rate was approximately 1/2 to 2/3 the turn rate. Didn't have a gameport joystick to test the JS operation. (USB? Whats that? :P ) Definitely have to say one thing, the controls overall don't have the same feel as the original game running in it's native environment -- It would probably be difficult from a programmatical standpoint to emulate them precisely anyway.

One question -- mouselook functions sort of like the XP feature to \"enhance mouse precision\", right? the faster you move the mouse the faster the ship turns? So if move slowly, 2\" of movement will not have the same effect of covering 2\" very quickly?

This is all well and good, but I think the better solution would be to make all turn rates linear -- and have a very high cap on ship turn rate with the mouse. Everyone can set their slider between crawling turn and whiplash-inducing turn speed, but niether would be useful. Each player would have to set the turn rate to something that allowed them to turn fast enough, while at the same time not limiting their accuracy. This is how D3 was done, I am fairly certain--If i wanted to I could crank the sensitivity so high that moving my mouse a pixel would spin the ship by about 5 degrees in a jump -- utterly useless, of course. Vice versa I could slam it down to moving across the entire pad moved me about 45 degrees.

This is the *FAIREST* way, as well as most versatile, IMHO (even if it isn't authentic). You must balance turn rate and accuracy of your ship. People who turn fast won't be as accurate, and vice versa.

BTW, if anyone wants me to confirm anything in the original game on original hardware, PM me. I have an old 233MHz box set up just for original DOOM, Descent, and a few other dos games.

***EDIT: Just got .158; The \"Fast pitch\" setting REALLY helps... Thx diedel...
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Bug in version 1.5.158:

The waterfall sound works now, but the fan sound is gone. Also, if a put a monitor to cast sound (editing the HAM file), also some other textures like the Blue, Yellow and Red door lamps emits the sound :?
Nicolay.G
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Bug in version 1.5.158:

Post by Nicolay.G »

Bug in version 1.5.158:

I can invert banking axis in the Joystick, and when I press a button on the stick and move the stick it banks \"from upside\".

I can invert banking axis in the Mouse, and press a button on the mouse and bank using the mouse and it's \"from upside\" too.

But even if both are market \"invert axis\", I can not press a button in the joystick and bank \"from upside\" with the mouse, it always banks \"from below\".

:?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

What does \"from upside\" mean?
-Suncho
Nicolay.G
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

And I though I was clear...

Post by Nicolay.G »

\"from upside\" means with the bank axis inverted, and \"from below\" means with normal bank axis.

Without thinking that way, I get confused and can't play.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

#1: In D1 Coop on the tracker (have not tested other modes), Boss levels (7 and 27) do not trigger countdowns. The boss dies and the exit opens, but you could hang around forever without worrying about the mine blowing up.

#2: In keyboard config, \"Bank On\" is listed as an option 3 times in a row, when it should be \"Bank On, Bank Left, Bank Right\"

#3: Not sure if this is a bug or is by design for some reason -- I can't see my MFDs or missile view when in letterboxed cockpit mode

#4: Ambient lava sound in D1 Missions is using the D1 sound for \"Player hit lava\" -- I can bump the lava and never know unless I'm looking right at my shield guage. The ambient sound should be the \"blub blub\" ambient instead of the \"hiss\" of a player running into it.

#5: I like graphic guages, as well as \"Weapon Icons at screen bottom\" -- they overlap when both are turned on. Possible fixes: postion options for guages, or a rescaling whenever the weaps icons are at the bottom.

EDIT ---- actually \"wrong\" in original as well :oops:
#6: Using banking controls does something seriously screwy if you are in automap. Definitely not the way it worked int the original game. To exemplefy the effect, zoom out, strafe left, and bank 90 degrees left, in that order. Now try to look around the map.

That's it for now... Time to get back to work on my launcher.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

D3Phoenix wrote:
#6: Using banking controls does something seriously screwy if you are in automap. Definitely not the way it worked int the original game. To exemplefy the effect, zoom out, strafe left, and bank 90 degrees left, in that order. Now try to look around the map.

That's it for now... Time to get back to work on my launcher.
Then I recommend you try it in the original game. =)
-Suncho
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Wow... you are right, I did NOT remember that being the case... Still... can it be made an \"improvement\"?? Lol. Perhaps an option make automap just be like a free-roam camera, instead of the camera pivot point...

Lol, nix #6 then...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

#1 Looks like there are still issues with the multiple bosses feature ...

#2 That's due to my making D2X-XL texts freely configurable. Thx for the hint.

#3 Dunno either :)

#4 Oops - looks like I got the wrong lava sound here.

#5 Use a bigger resolution.
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

I was playing a quick game of Descent II coop with a friend and disabling friendly fire only effected him. I couldn't harm him, but he was able to harm me. (He was the server host)

Also occasionally there were robots he saw that I couldn't. And when detonating the reactor, only one of us at a time seemed to see the countdown timer, alarm sounds and shaking per level. Everything was perfectly normal to the other person.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by D3Phoenix »

#3: Could you make them show up on letterboxed? There is plenty of space in the band below to show them without obstructing ANYTHING... hehe... (even if you might have to shift the main viewport up slightly) Man I would love that...
Diedel wrote:#5 Use a bigger resolution.
1152x864 is not big enough??? ()_o

My monitor won't hit 1280x1024 without dropping to 60Hz refresh... (One of these days I'm gonna get a nice 19" instead of this 6-year old 17")

Ah well... I GUESS I can cope.... :P
VR7
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VR7 »

The game crashes when you try to select Flash Missiles. :P

Also, the graphics are looking very screwy, like two of one option in the main menu, the refusal to display transparent options backgrounds like before, etc.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Bug in version 1.5.160:

This time is for real, the cheat code \"Kryptonite\" doesn't work anymore.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Phoenix,

turn 'scale gauges ...' off.

VR7,

better English please. Check your render options.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Hello there, it's me again! :mrgreen:

Anyway, here are a few bugs I recently found in the latest version...

#1: I've found a few problems with menus here and there. I have the new menu style on, as well as fast menus. Here's one problem that I got by simply starting D2X, and clicking \"Configure...\":

My screen resolution is 800x600.

#2: If I designate a cube as \"Water\" in DLE-XP,
-A: I can only see the fog if I'm actually IN the cube. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case...
NM, I was wrong. :)
-B: I'm not hearing the sound, nor am I being slowed down when I'm in the cubes... apparently, \"Fluid Physics\" is not working here, even though it is on...

#3: I have no idea what causes this, but camera views seem to be screwed up... Here's a screenie (note that it's not very serious; just a little distortion @ the bottom):

If I turn \"Fit camera output to wall\" on, it gets much worse:
VR7
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VR7 »

Basically my menus look like D3Hack's, only the backgrounds are opaque even if I set them to transparent in the INI.

Nothing seems to be wrong with my render options...
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Bug in version 1.5.163:

Game crashes when selecting Flash Missile excusively.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What does \"selecting exclusively\" mean? If I select flashs, everything goes well.
Peterix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peterix »

Numbers in scoreboards that appear after finishing level have T in front of them.

Some robot textures and midi music are used instead of the original D2 ones after playing 'Project:Mandrill' (and maybe other missions too). This is the same problem as the one with the robot data, but with other things.
Start Project:Mandrill, exit to menu and start normal D2 to replicate this.

Also http://www.descent2.de/d2x-history.html's javascript is broken again.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

In the latest version, it takes me at least a second to accellerate to full speed, when I used to accellerate to full speed almost instantaneously. :?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Check keyboard ramping.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

The D2X-XL History page is blank.
-Suncho
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Sorry guys, I've been offline with a driver issue that kept me from booting for a few days... finally got it figured out.

.164?? Geez, I leave home for a couple days and everybody takes off and fixes everything that I had to say... :P

Oh, and 'Scale Guages' worked... lol... my bad... :P

Thanks all -- I really like how everything for D2X is now in its own hog -- really cleared up some of that folder.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Game crashes when I switch my secondary weapon to Flash Missile.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

I have a recurring glitch where an area of a level will be completely dark, and firing weapons or flares into the area will not light it up at all. These \"light voids\", if there are any walls with a secondary texture, then they are about 50% bright. They are not affected by flare/weapon light, either though... the entire scene is static. Disabling Lightmaps, Colored light, or both will fix the problem and return lighing to the old style, but I like the new lights.... lol. I can post a pic if you want (I really need to clean out my photobucket though, dunno how much more space I have)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

By \"exclusively\" I mean that any of the other weapons works right when selecting them with the corresponding hotkey except for (only) he Flash missile.
However, when i press the Flash missile hotkey, the game crashes (it only happens with the Flash missiles).
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

D3Phoenix wrote:(I really need to clean out my photobucket though, dunno how much more space I have)
Why???
Whats wrong with using this when posting a reply with pics?
Or even Image Shack? :roll: :P :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Phoenix,

please send me a savegame of that area.

Pumo,

cannot reproduce. Please send me your pilot file.
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Silencer »

In the briefings between D1 missions, the font is unreadable. It is black with yellow shadows, instead of (I think) yellow with black shadows.

Build .164, BTW.